Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The tale continues...

I scanned in a few sats during the week but after scanning Astra it seemed to hang so I rebooted. I've scanned about 5 sats and have a huge list of channels but they all show nothing when "viewed" and the "Info" says something like "No data available". The screen also sometimes says "switch: service not available".

What has gone wrong? :confused

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Man, you are in a serious pickle! ;)

You really need to go back to first principles.

My advice to you? Align your dish on 1W with your tuner set to BBC World. It's at 11325 Horizontal SR 24500 FEC 7/8. Locate the sat, scan the above transponder and sit and watch it for a few hours!

It's free to air, so no further setup required.

THB I think you've probably found a few sats and scanned them.

I think you're then trying to view channels that are not on the satellite to which your dish is pointed, and the dish is not moving automatically to where it needs it to be.

This is a common fault with many modified Dreambox images.

Once you've got 1W cracked, swing it around to Hotbird and watch the tons of stuff on there for a bit.

I hope you're getting some fun out of it, cos I know how frustrating it can be at first.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thanks for the continued suuport! Fun, what;s that ;) haven't watched a single programme yet (other than that bit of Ukranian TV a while ago...:( )

Ok, this is what I did just now:

1. SAT FINDER

chose 30.0W and it did the "motor turning" bit.
Selected a valid transponder and got a lock

2. MOTOR SETUP

chose 30.0W and the same transponder as (1). Adjusted the position (using direction) until BER was zero. Should I use STORE here or will it remember that I adjusted the position?
Clicked "next" and then "automatica transponder scan".

3. TRANSPONDER SCAN

set it to the same as (1), got a lock and scanned. Success, so far.

4. TV MODE

selected 30.0w and have just watched some volley ball :rolleyes:

So I think I've previously scanned in with too high a BER so no picture- is that right? AND if I adjust each sat position in MOTOR SETUP before doing the auto transponder scan, will it remember the "new" position?

Thanks again, almost there... Am I missing anything?

tux233

Reaction score
This is how I did it on my DM 5620, Gemini 104. SG2100 Motor.

In MOTOR SETUP: (Example for 30W)

• Select SAT Hispasat 30W.
  • Select a strong transponder freq. eg 12012.
  • Move EAST or WEST until you get a LOCK and best SNR.
  • STORE (Green Button) that position by selecting the tuned satellite and give it a store position, eg. 20.
  • Then only goto TRANSPONDER SCAN and scan.
Hope this helps

Cheers

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thanks. So when you store 19.2E and then later watch a channel on 19.2E, the DB will automatically move the motor to the stored position?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
mhku said:
Thanks. So when you store 19.2E and then later watch a channel on 19.2E, the DB will automatically move the motor to the stored position?

Yes - If you have set up the DiSEqC settings correctly and have stored the satellite positions, when you change channels the dish will move to that satellite position.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
mmm, things are still not right :(

For example, when going to SAT FINDER and selecting a sat, most of the time it will tunr the dish "motor moving to xx" but sometimes not- even for the same sat ie select 13.0E and it will give the message, othertimes not (and it isn;t at 13.0E).

And, I had scanned 30.0W (and stored the position)- I selected BBC prime. Info says I have 85% SNR, 83% AGC and 0% BER: yet the screen is black and no picture at all.

Am I still doing something wrong? Sats I scanned earlier (but didn't store) were locking and giving 75% SNR. I've been back to them via SAT FINDER and get no lock and SNR is 49% (I can hear the motor moving so guess it is in the right poisition). I even went to MOTOR SETUP and moved it east/ west but the SNT doesn't improve.. :(

I'm sure it's a redherring, but I also put newcamd and some keys on it this afternoon (and it worked- could watch some encryted channels).

How do I remove channels?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
mmm, things are still not right :(

For example, when going to SAT FINDER and selecting a sat, most of the time it will tunr the dish "motor moving to xx" but sometimes not- even for the same sat ie select 13.0E and it will give the message, othertimes not (and it isn;t at 13.0E).

And, I had scanned 30.0W (and stored the position)- I selected BBC prime. Info says I have 85% SNR, 83% AGC and 0% BER: yet the screen is black and no picture at all.

Am I still doing something wrong? Sats I scanned earlier (but didn't store) were locking and giving 75% SNR. I've been back to them via SAT FINDER and get no lock and SNR is 49% (I can hear the motor moving so guess it is in the right poisition). I even went to MOTOR SETUP and moved it east/ west but the SNT doesn't improve.. :(

I'm sure it's a redherring, but I also put newcamd and some keys on it this afternoon (and it worked- could watch some encryted channels).

How do I remove channels?

You seemed to have done 30w right. Just do the same with the others 13e and 19e. Store and scan. dont worry about not seeing encripted ch yet. just get 19e 13e and 30w set up. That means 30w should turn to 30w, 19e turns to 19e and 13e turns to 13e. It takes time to turn from 30w to 13e so be patient.Why did you not save sats earlier. When you get a sat look for free to air ch first to see if your on the right sat. When your sure that you are where you want to be then come back and we can go throught the encryption process then. You can remove chanells with dream box edit. I would wait until you have your set up running before you start editing ch. BBC Prime aint free to air its nagra 1 I Think, But can be viewed with newcamd AT the moment. You need to replace the rsakeylist with a new one. Will tell you how to do this when you get the 3 main sats set up so stop drinking all that lemonade and get cracking.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Cheers, I'll do some more sats later today... I didn't know BBC Prime wasn't FTA- I didn't see an encryted symbol on the infobar.

ps why does the SAT FINDER only turn the motor to some sats and not others????

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
Cheers, I'll do some more sats later today... I didn't know BBC Prime wasn't FTA- I didn't see an encryted symbol on the infobar.

Changing sats ie. Press up on nav buttons, then press green button , select sat ie 13e and ok it. It should move to 13e. The set up might be different on the 500 box but on the 56XX and 7000 this is how I Change Sats.
Did you set up your motor config like this. Menu>Set up>Service Searching>Motor set up, Use motor input power should be checked. Press green button to save. You should see the sats you have saved in the box.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
mhku said:

Man, this is the million dollar questions. I have been trying to make sense out of dreamboxes and motors for almost a year now. One day it will work, the next - YOK. One image will be fine for a few weeks, then suddenly it wont turn the motor ok. I wish I knew what the problem is. Maybe it is just luck.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
JG: that's what I'm doing ;) I'm now a master of using MOTOR SETUP to find and scan sats (mainly got 85% SNR, except on 10, 13 and 28.2E). BUT the channels this morning had SNR less than 49% and all black ("no Johnny, not black...")- fta ones. I have stored the sat position before scanning.

I think I'll use DBedit to wipe all the channels and start again (and only scan fta channels). Fun? when does that start? ;)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
JG: that's what I'm doing ;) I'm now a master of using MOTOR SETUP to find and scan sats (mainly got 85% SNR, except on 10, 13 and 28.2E). BUT the channels this morning had SNR less than 49% and all black ("no Johnny, not black...")- fta ones. I have stored the sat position before scanning.

I think I'll use DBedit to wipe all the channels and start again (and only scan fta channels). Fun? when does that start? ;)
You dont have to delete them, just scan again and check the fta box.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
and it will "delete" the old channel listings?

And which sat is Chelsea TV on and how do I decrypt it?? :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
and it will "delete" the old channel listings?

And which sat is Chelsea TV on and how do I decrypt it?? :)

28e (sky) Not decryptable (nds)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
So Chelsea TV is $ky?

I have successfully scanned in (and watched) FTA from 28E and 13E :)

As I use Gemeni, can I use the built-in CAM (newcamd etc) install, key uodates etc? Can I install all the emu's? I have setup newcamd and keys.

:)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
So Chelsea TV is $ky?

I have successfully scanned in (and watched) FTA from 28E and 13E :)

As I use Gemeni, can I use the built-in CAM (newcamd etc) install, key uodates etc? Can I install all the emu's? I have setup newcamd and keys.

:)

If you only scanned for fta ch, you will have to go back and scan for all ch again..lol. Is your computer connected to dreambox, if so download "dreambox control center" or any ftp programe. Then download Gemeni manager, i found this very good as you can see if cams and keys are installed correctly. Get this far and return, You need to to change the rsakeylist by ftp and install a new one, then yu will be ok.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thanks for the reply :)

Got no web access at home as changing ISP.

I did FTA only just to check it all worked ;) I use WS FTP. Am downloading GemeniManager now so will give it a try.

Are there plenty of other sources of footie to not need an ART card or similar?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
mhku said:
Thanks for the reply :)

Got no web access at home as changing ISP.

I did FTA only just to check it all worked ;) I use WS FTP. Am downloading GemeniManager now so will give it a try.

Are there plenty of other sources of footie to not need an ART card or similar?

Multivisions (English Prem league)& tps on 13e & sport tv on 30w, Key & encryption changes at the moment.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Thanks for those, do any of the emus work on those channels?

I'm back to the "Nothing f***ing works!" stage again.

I tried to scan some more sats last night. Used SAT FINDER to get to 53.0E.
Went to MOTOR SETUP etc, no lock. Tried a few others, no lock.
Looked outside and the dish was at about 50.0E, no green light on the motor.
Unplugged DB and tried again- no green light.
Rebooted DB and tried again- no green light.
Unplugged last night and will try again today- if I can face it. Are you sure a DB isn't based on Windows 95a??!! argggggghhhhhhh!