Channels 'locked' when I do a channel search.

blackninja

Reaction score
Hope I got the right forum for this.

Just managed to get a signal for Sirius on my Smart Centurio CI receiver (think it may be a German receiver). However when I do a search about 50 frequenices come up but all say either 'locked' or 'failed' by them. Then when I check the channel listing there are no Sirius channels. The receiver has a 2000 channel capacity and 1300 of those have been used up, consisting of Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2 channels.

If I remember right the 'locked' message came up on about half of the frequencies during an Astra 2 search (with the dish pointing at 28 East obviously) although this doesn't bother me as much 'cos they're probably mostly Sky channels which can't be descrambled with my freecam.

But regarding Sirius 5 East, does anyone know how to remedy this? If you're not familiar with the receiver then some general advice would be fine.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Many of the Sirius pay channels are now Videoguard encrypted, the same thing Sky use, so you can wave goodbye to them. Also, the reciver may be doing a network search, which will give you frequencies on Sirius 3 - not easily available in many areas due to a restricted footprint covering Scandinavia. Even in south Scotland I need a 1m dish for S3.

You should get the Ukrainian channels easily enough, but 5E is awkward as ther are at least 3 different footprints in use there...

hxxp://www.lyngsat.com/sirius2.html

blackninja

Reaction score
Does that mean the Sirius 2 channels shouldn't be a problem? I tried a few and they're not coming up on the channel list. However, looking through the Astra 1 channels that had been put there by the previous owner, I noticed that Spice Platinum and Private Gold were on the list (the dirty bugger). Both were encrypted mind, and Spice Platinum came up with no signal, possibly due to the 5 East tranmission of that channel going (so I'm told). Have either of these channels ever been on Astra 19 East and if not, why would Sirius channels be appearing as Astra 1?

I have a 60cm oval Zone 2 dish in mid-cheshire. Should Sirius 3 be a problem?

I heard that some of the the ViaSat channels could be unlocked with a funcard and freecam. Are they now videoguard and therefore impossible to decrypt?

Analoguesat said:
Many of the Sirius pay channels are now Videoguard encrypted, the same thing Sky use, so you can wave goodbye to them. Also, the reciver may be doing a network search, which will give you frequencies on Sirius 3 - not easily available in many areas due to a restricted footprint covering Scandinavia. Even in south Scotland I need a 1m dish for S3.

You should get the Ukrainian channels easily enough, but 5E is awkward as ther are at least 3 different footprints in use there...

hxxp://www.lyngsat.com/sirius2.html

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can forget Sirius 3 with a 60cm dish in Cheshire. You may well struggle with Sirius 2 as well, but try 11766 H 27500 3/4 for the Ukrainians. They are about the strongest on S2. If you cant get them find another satellite to look at, (or buy a bigger dish!)

Viasat discontinued the hacked encryption about a month back, so its almost all secure on there now.

No idea why the channels should be appearing on the wrong list, although my Echostar 3000 had the same problem last month!