channels which are encrypted - are they neccesarily subscription based?

manikm

Reaction score
this may sound a silly question but im gonna ask anyway - if a channel is encrypted with say idereto2 - does it mean that the channel will offer a subscription\card for a fee for u to watch it?

OR

is it like the early days of videocrypt with Sky Anaolgue where channels were free but were encrypted - u just needed a decoder box (or built in decoder to the receiver) in order to watch the channel - then much later came the fees for smart cards.....

i will soon have a lnb to get both hotbird and astra - my receiver is both analogue and digital - so im wondering what i will be able to receive before getting a CAM. will a cam decrypt some channels straight "out of the box" without any smartcards needed ?

im hoping for quite a few channels being made available to me when i get this system sorted out.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England

manikm

Reaction score
Thanks mate, im beginning to understand now what packages are comprimised, and what i will be able to get if i got the correct equipment.

I think a MatrixR cam and a TIT'm card should be enuf for me - along with my elvis programmer that i have lying about somewhere.

A MR cam should cover ASTRA and HOTBIRD correct?

waverider said:
Take a peek at this site, should answer some questions for you! http://www.duwgati.com/uk/index.htm

sat_freak

Reaction score
yes, u hav to hav not only the suitable CAM but a card as well with digital packages these days...gone are the days of sky analogue...
some cams like joker or icecrypt allow u to watch channels without a card......but u hav to be restricted to jus a few channels...i think two or three channels....

the best bet is to hav the MR cam with a FUNCARD.... u are talkin of titaniumcards, not sure if files for titanium that exploit the full potential of a MR are out there....

rolfw will probably shed light on that!!!

manikm

Reaction score
LOL! where is rolfw and his torch then....
Yoohooooo

sat_freak said:
yes, u hav to hav not only the suitable CAM but a card as well with digital packages these days...gone are the days of sky analogue...
some cams like joker or icecrypt allow u to watch channels without a card......but u hav to be restricted to jus a few channels...i think two or three channels....

the best bet is to hav the MR cam with a FUNCARD.... u are talkin of titaniumcards, not sure if files for titanium that exploit the full potential of a MR are out there....

rolfw will probably shed light on that!!!

manikm

Reaction score
how do funcards interact with the MR then? are they are same as goldcards? as i have a couple of them? can a funcard be programmed for certain channels then - thats why people are selling funcards in 5's?