Cheaper dishes in Cyprus;OK??

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Messages
306
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
#1
Hello everyone. From previous threads members will know that in Cyprus large dishes are very expensive. Recently adverts have appeared directing you to:
_http://www.4bigtv.com where they offer large dishes for less than half the average price from other suppliers on the island. Does anyone know about these dishes, maybe you have already bought one? if so how well does it work?
Cheers,
Geoff
 

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Messages
25,153
Likes
5,608
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
#2
Im not quite sure what 'manufactured to ISO9001 standard ' is supposed to infer, I thought this was a certificate offered to a company that follows a defined set of procedures from. It is not really relevant to the final performance/efficiency of a product

3.0 Metre - Euro 820, 3.7 Metre - Euro 1120, 4.5 Metre - Euro 1480

does sound rather cheap, Im wondering if these are sourced from North Africa ?
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,698
Likes
1,286
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#3
Looking at the picture, they look remarkably similar to the Jonsa Dish i had the dubious pleasure of installing. If they are, then the construction is likely to be substandard, along with the performance.
 

Attachments

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Messages
25,153
Likes
5,608
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
#4
Remarkably similar.
 

Zorba

aka Skyman
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#5
Rang them today and was told the dishes come from the far east,metal and in 8 pieces.He also he will withdraw the next advert because they are out of stock.he "didnt expect to sell them so quick"!
Funny that, one advert and all gone?But I havent seen any up anywhere or heard about the dishes or the company,Cyprus is a small place and when a new cowboy comes into town,word gets around in all the saloons very quickly.
Suddenly every body is putting up "cheap" dishes.Slap,astrotwat,astocon,titsat etc are all at it and cutting each others throats but where will they be in a few months time when the customer has a problem?Broken promises,unanswered phone calls,changed phone numbers etc then the punter has to call the real installers to fix the bodge ups,at a high price.
Last christmas and January we had gale force winds and mini tornados.Never seen so many flying saucers !
These cheap dishes have inferior mounts and poles which cant handle our coptic winds and the metal construction,once scratched,will rust especially around the coast,where most Brits like to live.
You want cheap,you get cheap.
 

Zorba

aka Skyman
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#6
rolfw said:
Looking at the picture, they look remarkably similar to the Jonsa Dish i had the dubious pleasure of installing. If they are, then the construction is likely to be substandard, along with the performance.
Looking at the picture,the rear support of the dish does look a bit flimsy,and being of eight panels must "wobble" a lot in strong winds.What are they made of,aluminium or steel?
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,698
Likes
1,286
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#7
They are steel, but not very heavy guage, I would not want to use one in an exposed postion and the 1" square tube mount is, as you say, not very substantial. The petalised dish is not easy to set up and ensure perfect symmetry, I was receiving an annoyingly strong 28.2 East signal while trying to align to 26 East.

PS. This was a 1.8m dish
 
Messages
48
Likes
0
#8
Guys, i am considering getting a motorised 1m setup for my house in England. My question is, if I take it with me to Cyprus if we are posted there, how many Satellites will I be able to pick up with it there, besides Astra and hotbird? Also is there a list somewhere to show which dish size is required for which satellite in Cyprus. Many thanks if you are able to help.
 

Zorba

aka Skyman
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#9
turksat42e,hellas sat39e, arabsat26e,hotbird13e,16e,10e,5e,nilesat7w,amos4w.Can all be picked up on 1m dish here.Sky 2.4m up to 4.2m,Astra 19e 1.8m,pas 4/6 62e?(multichoice africa) 1.8m,hispasat 30w 1.8m.
Where will you be living?
 
Messages
48
Likes
0
#11
zorba said:
turksat42e,hellas sat39e, arabsat26e,hotbird13e,16e,10e,5e,nilesat7w,amos4w.Can all be picked up on 1m dish here.Sky 2.4m up to 4.2m,Astra 19e 1.8m,pas 4/6 62e?(multichoice africa) 1.8m,hispasat 30w 1.8m.
Where will you be living?
Cheers Zorba thanks for the help. We will be moving back to Yermasoyia nr Limassol. There's enough fta footy on those satellites, so well happy with that!
 
Messages
3
Likes
0
#12
Hi there,

Are you selling the dishes or do you know where to purchase them from. I need large ones.


regards

Martin

k
Channel Hopper said:
Im not quite sure what 'manufactured to ISO9001 standard ' is supposed to infer, I thought this was a certificate offered to a company that follows a defined set of procedures from. It is not really relevant to the final performance/efficiency of a product

3.0 Metre - Euro 820, 3.7 Metre - Euro 1120, 4.5 Metre - Euro 1480

does sound rather cheap, Im wondering if these are sourced from North Africa ?
 

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Messages
47
Likes
0
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
#13
Dear Rolfw,

I am the Rep. of Cyprus connection of 4bigtv.com, and yes these are 4.2m Jonsas..


We have supplied and installed the 4.2m Jonsa's (that you IMHO mistakenly deride) working in Ayia Napa ( East end of island with weakest signal ) pulling in ITV of Astra 2D working 24/7... You just have to know *how* to build 'em right.. When you do, they'll out perform 3.7DH, 3.7M Prodelin and 3.8 Andersens and for a lot less.

We have five erected in a 25Km radius and all perferming perfectly - having endured the Cyprus' Coptic Gales so far this winter.... so no problems with construction. This is a much (mistakenly) panned antenna..as Iceman in the northern part of Cyprus will testify.


The Punters get what they want ( uninterupted viewing) *and* for a Grand less.. than they were being ripped off last year - "good old Europe"

Until we came along there were 15 of these dishes gathering dust in the warehouse of the CY distie...no-one could make 'em work in the Rep of Cyprus... now all of a sudden they are "wiseing up"....another container load on the way ;-))


GA


rolfw said:
Looking at the picture, they look remarkably similar to the Jonsa Dish i had the dubious pleasure of installing. If they are, then the construction is likely to be substandard, along with the performance.
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,698
Likes
1,286
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#14
Well I can't argue with your experiences GA, I didn't assemble the dish in question, but even if the assembly was questionable, the overall quality was in my opinion substandard, but still value for money, as I believe that the guy only paid the equivalent of $50 for it in Dubai.
 

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Messages
306
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
#15
Grande_Assiette said:
Dear Rolfw,

I am the Rep. of Cyprus connection of 4bigtv.com, and yes these are 4.2m Jonsas..


We have supplied and installed the 4.2m Jonsa's (that you IMHO mistakenly deride) working in Ayia Napa ( East end of island with weakest signal ) pulling in ITV of Astra 2D working 24/7... You just have to know *how* to build 'em right.. When you do, they'll out perform 3.7DH, 3.7M Prodelin and 3.8 Andersens and for a lot less.

We have five erected in a 25Km radius and all perferming perfectly - having endured the Cyprus' Coptic Gales so far this winter.... so no problems with construction. This is a much (mistakenly) panned antenna..as Iceman in the northern part of Cyprus will testify.


The Punters get what they want ( uninterupted viewing) *and* for a Grand less.. than they were being ripped off last year - "good old Europe"

Until we came along there were 15 of these dishes gathering dust in the warehouse of the CY distie...no-one could make 'em work in the Rep of Cyprus... now all of a sudden they are "wiseing up"....another container load on the way ;-))


GA
Well seeing is believing! Driving around the Ayia Thekla suberb of Ayia Napa on the east end of Cyprus I found 2 of the 4.2m Jonsas mentioned. One of the owners was in his garden and I introduced myself, I am not known for being backward in coming forward. He receives all 2D channels 24/7, although in last weeks thunderstorms lost all signals (as indeed most of us did even on 2A/2B reception). However, although the installation seemed robust, the metal guage of the actual dish is fairly thin so as someone mentioned the owner will need to look after it and repair any rust caused by scratches that might occur. I have to say the installation not only works fine, but good value compared to alternatives available here in Cyprus. The LNB in use was an Invacom 0.3 dB single output.
Geoff
 

iceman

Specialist Contributor
Messages
744
Likes
3
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
#17
zorba said:
Looking at the picture,the rear support of the dish does look a bit flimsy,and being of eight panels must "wobble" a lot in strong winds.What are they made of,aluminium or steel?
The reflector pannels are made of steel NOT aluminium & the rest of the dish is made of good quality galvanised steel.
Regarding the "wobble"....if the dish is set up "properly",it does not even move a mm....let alone "wobble" :D :D

Grande_Assiette said:
You just have to know *how* to build 'em right.. When you do, they'll out perform 3.7DH, 3.7M Prodelin and 3.8 Andersens and for a lot less.

We have five erected in a 25Km radius and all perferming perfectly - having endured the Cyprus' Coptic Gales so far this winter.... so no problems with construction. This is a much (mistakenly) panned antenna..as Iceman in the northern part of Cyprus will testify.

I can only confirm GA's opinion re:4.2 Jonsa & its performance.I have installed around 30 of these monsters in & around Kyrenia in North Cyprus.
It definately is value for money when compared to the expensive USA dishes & the negative comments about it (on the island) dont surprise me at all,cos they usually originate from the importers of other large dish importers.


iceman
 

Zorba

aka Skyman
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#18
iceman said:
The reflector pannels are made of steel NOT aluminium & the rest of the dish is made of good quality galvanised steel.
Regarding the "wobble"....if the dish is set up "properly",it does not even move a mm....let alone "wobble" :D :D



I was talking about the Patriot,and that was a long time ago.As for the 4.2 jonsa,i dont think a tornado can shift that(and you know we have those down here ) ;)
 
Top