Cheapie SKY+ Alternative?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I tried the search with 'phantom pvr' (without the quotes) and it came up with two threads. Yours Grande Assiette and the one from which Rolf has provided the extract.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
They used to sell em in Argos. But beware you cant rewind or pause live TV oir record two channels at once.

szhjcn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 160
My Location
Switzerland
I guess the other problem/disadvatage is the way this other system will store the programs. i.e. with the Sky+ Box, the programme is recorded in the original transmitted format (compressed digital) with multi-channel audio etc... as soon as you use another device, you may loose quality (due to A/D & D/A conversions) and need more space to store recording etc..

I must admit I've not looked at this laternative and don't know how it integrates with the Sky Planner (if at all possible etc..) so this may be another area to be aware of.

I'm sure if I'm wrong, I'll be corrected :-)

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
jimbo said:
I tried the search with 'phantom pvr' (without the quotes) and it came up with two threads. Yours Grande Assiette and the one from which Rolf has provided the extract.
Hmm Hi Jimbo,

most strange..

I *do* know most syntax to do searches.. but when *I* tried before it didn't work.

but sure enough works now ;-)

GA