Checking if Dish can be installed in selected location.

MarkRay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Bolton
Hello All.

I decided to buy a Channel Master 1.2m moterised system. I was going to get it install on the roof of the house. I have now received the system and the dish is a lot bigger than I expected so it is not going to be possible to fit it on the roof. There is a space at the botton of the garden where if could go but I need to find out if satellites can be reached from this location before I move the shed that is currently there. My house is south facing so the dish will be pointing towards the house.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Easy. the sun is due south - 0 degrees at midday gmt. The sun moves 15 degrees an hour, or 1 degree every 4 minutes around the sky. Add or subtract the appropriate number of degrees for the satellite you are interested in, work out the time factor, and go and stand where the dish will be installed at the appropriate time.

If you can see the sun you should be ok - although note - the sun is slightly higher than the satellite arc at this time of year. Mid October it will be almost on the arc, as we head into the winter depths the sun is below the satellite arc.

jack-le-frost

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600
1.2 channel master
loads of cams and cards
and extra bits and bobs
My Location
northwest
learn something new every day thanx for that info

MarkRay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Bolton
Thank you very much for the info. I will check that out this weekend.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
One thing to note of course - when you are looking for the sun, your head needs to be at the same height as the dish will be mounted - its no good standing there seeing the sun, then discovering that the low mounted dish cant see over the garden wall!:D

The time factor works - I chased the sun round the arc a couple of years ago following the solar outages in October:))

15E will be 1100GMT, 15W will be 1300, 30E (near enough for Sky at 28E will be 1000GMT