Chris Moyles Losing to the Today Programme?

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
While Chris Evans still reigns as #1 in the radio ratings war, his Radio 2 show taking in a weekly audience of 8.86million listeners a week, the latest Rajar figures show that 37-year-old rival Chris Moyles may be losing his touch, and losing it to 68-year-old John Humphries and the rest of the Today Programme hosts!

Moyles, who has been the host of the breakfast programme on Radio 1 and recently signed a new £1million deal with the BBC last July, had once attracted up to 8million listeners. Rajar now reports that he is only pulling in 7.24million, and in the last quarter of 2010, only brought in 200,000 more listeners.

This may seem like good numbers, but Radio 4's Today Programme is just less than 100,000 listeners behind. Pulling in 7.15million listeners per week in the last quarter of 2010, and with an increase of 500,000 listeners, John Humphries and the rest of his crew are close to overtaking Moyles for the first time ever.

Some analyse that the increase in Radio 4 figures is due to the economic crisis in Europe and the Middle East. People have a want and need for more serious news, which is not good news for Moyles whose contract requires he stays with the BBC till 2014. Already there are rumors that he is to be taken off the breakfast show, a programme that he has fronted for almost a decade.

According to Rajar, the BBC's 46 regional and local stations have had an improved weekly reach in the last quarter of 2011. Radio 4 saw a general increase, and now has 10.83million listeners a week. Radio 4 Extra, which was rebranded as Radio 7 has seen a 65% increase in listeners. Radio 6, which was under threat of being axed but saved by audience backlash now has 1.4million listeners. Radio Five Live, is the only one that saw a decrease, down by 12% year on year.

As a result of the positive figures, chairman of the BBC Trust, Lord Patten announced that they would put back £10million of what it had planned to cut in order to meet budget constraints. Tim Davie, the BBC Audio boss said in a statement: “These figures illustrate the value listeners place on high- quality broadcasting.”

Rajar also released the statistics for digital radio, showing that though people are listening, the general population is slow to adjusting or making the switch. Audiences have increased from only 24.4% to 28.7%, despite improving technology. Add that to the fact that only 19.4% of the shows are done through digital audio broadcasting, and the government has already announced that the digital switchover is being moved from 2015 to 2017.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A long holiday break from the media might be just what Moyles and the public need.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Another classic case of overexposure, not my taste, but understand that he has a following.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Channel Hopper said:
A long holiday break from the media might be just what Moyles and the public need.

If he takes Evans with him, I'll be chuffed to my moonboots. I want my Radio listening to start around 8am, not at 9.33 when all risk of hearing Evans has abated.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I was forced to listen to Moyles one morning when my daughter gave me lift in her car. For over half an hour there was just inane chatter with his cronies and abortive starts to records where he would play only about 15 seconds before talking again.

Unbelievable.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Quote -

"37-year-old rival Chris Moyles may be losing his touch, and losing it to 68-year-old John Humphries"

Is there a subtext in this statement? Does it mean that despite his age, by golly, John Humphries is doing well, isn't he?

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Tivù said:
If he takes Evans with him, I'll be chuffed to my moonboots. I want my Radio listening to start around 8am, not at 9.33 when all risk of hearing Evans has abated.

A couple of my radios (e.g. bathroom) are usually on Radio 2 as standard; it is now almost OCD that that I hate turning them on until 9.35 or thereabouts (unless usually accompanied by an immediate change of stations).

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Llew said:
Is there a subtext in this statement? Does it mean that despite his age, by golly, John Humphries is doing well, isn't he?

Not really a subtext, just confirming Moyles should be put out to pasture as he has gone lame.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Lame horses are usually shot, aren't they?

A nonymous

Reaction score
As far as i'm concerned Chris Moyle is utter s**te. I haven't listened to a Radio one breakfast show since they employed the muppet., Hes about as funny as a bad case of piles. Hes just annoying.

I'm probably showing my age but i remember when it used to be Simon Mayo in the morning, then Simon Bates with the Golden Hour, then Lisa Ianson finishing the work day off with Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

That was the time when Radio one was on for the whole day when i was at work. That was the day when Radio one was quite good.

I don't even have Radio one programmed into my Radio now as all they play is cr@p, to go with the cr@p presenters.

I only listen to Absolute Radio, Radio 2 , Kerrang, Heart and Magic now as theres nothing else worth listening to.

Nano

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
BBC Radio 1Xtra used to be quite good, especially for some of the music, but I had to stop listening as the DJ's just kept waffling and the music was hardly played. Now I listen to mostly Smooth 70's at work, unless there's a cricket test, or football game, on 5 Live or 5 Live Sports extra.
I haven't watched any British television for about 10 years and soon I wont be listening to BBC radio, unless they greatly improve !!!!!!