CI Error

B

B2

Hi,
I have f***ed up a perfect CAM recently. That is not the bad news yet!
I use Dr. Flow DVB 2000 (ver5.0beta) on a Nokia 9600. At the Cam, Goodies menu:

1 All- ECM:ON
2 ECM:Irdeto
3 EMU:Off
4 Quit

Every thing was pretty good like this, but I guess I can't use by PCB fun Card. when I change the param. to the following:

1 All- ECM:Off
2 ECM:Irdeto
3 EMU:On
4 Quit

Which I've been told would get the incryption from the card and not from the free CAM itself, I get a status bar down the screen:
CI Error, reset and re-initialising...
Few seconds later I beleave the system resets itself and the message reapear again.

I have purchaced a second hand CAM without the copyright message on the blue ribon, I think it said Irdeto ver 00.03 when I checked the CAM menu, I used a notebook computer to load the Cam with Irdeto Freecam, I think I succeeded, the menu now say FreeCAM2-017
but when I use it with my Nokia 9600 (DVB 2000) I get the same CI Error message.
Where did I go wrong? Buying the CAM or programming it?

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
EMU is simply an abbreviation of "Emulator". The whole point about a FreeCAM is that it has a built-in (Irdeto/Betacrypt) card emulator, so rendering a card unnecessary.

Switching EMU to OFF means that the internal FreeCAM Irdeto emulator will be switched off. IE control will pass to the card as per any normal CAM.

So as you state things, you have it exactly the wrong way round.
If you want to use a card you must set EMU OFF.

There is nothing wrong with your CAM (or it would not report itself as a FreeCAM in the first place). And in any case it is not possible to "damage" it by setting those parameters one way or another. If your flash on the PC ended in a green screen (assuming you used ird106) then it was programmed correctly. Hope that puts your mind at rest!

By the way, this has been discussed and explained umpteen times on the board here already - please use our search function to locate relevant topics before posting.

2old.

B

B2

Thanks, I get it now, but how would you explain that error message I get:
CI Error, reset and re-initialising... ???

!! When I use Irdeto 2 CAM, everything work perfectly, but my PCB Funcard which I suppose is programmed for Irdeto, Seca, Viaaccess, Cryptwork and ........ only work with Irdeto which I understand the reason being that the CAM is Irdeto CAM, but I don't get any error message.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The problem sounds like one of the following:
- software on your card is not compatible with the CAM/receiver combination.
- Keys on the card are not valid
- bug/limitations in the firmware of the receiver.

I have seen posts here and elsewhere which talki about certain versions of DVB2000 being suitable for these 3-in-1 cards, butr not all. Check that out (search function). The message that a CAM is initialising (constantly) or in error can arise from the card. I shouldn't pay too much attention to that yet.

I still can't quite follow what you are saying.
You state "When I use Irdeto 2 CAM, everything work perfectly, but my PCB Funcard which I suppose is programmed for Irdeto, Seca, Viaaccess, Cryptwork and ........ only work with Irdeto..."
Are you saying that a (PCB-)card you have programmed with the 3-in-1 files works (albeit for Irdeto channels only) in one of the new Irdeto Euro CAMs? That surprises me. I would have thought the card would be unrecognised (but have never tested it explictly). Are you sure you have actually got 3-in-1 software on your card?

By the way, it certainly WON'T be programmed for Cryptoworks, since that system is not yet hacked.

2old

B

B2

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Sep-01 AT 09:19 AM (GMT)]All I know that the New CAM I have has a Firmware copyright writen on it, and when I insert it in the PCMCIA slot in my notebook, it is not dtected. The CAM menu says, Irdeto Access, but I'm not sure what kind of file has been loaded on the PCB card I have, it is the long pcb card with LED lights and an IC chip, when I insert it in a humax, the status page for the card show the following:

Version: V1.2
Nationality: NOV
Serial Number: X-Sat Team.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
So the reason you have a problem with this card in your FreeCAM is the first one I stated: software on your card is not compatible with the CAM/receiver combination.

Most (all?) "3-in-1" files do not actually work with a FreeCAM2. Most such files are intended for use in the patched Humax and/or the Nokia dbox/9200/9500 with patched CA modules - and they all react differently from the FreeCAM2.

Why did you expect this particular card/fileset to work in the CAM? Had you read that it should? (eg does the "readme" state that it was tested in a CI-CAM? Most of the time it states it is tested on a patched Humax and/or Nokia dbox...)

2old

B

B2

Thanks for the reply.
I'm sure that the irdeto cam2 is compatible with my cam, when I bought my CAM, my friend and I bought 2 CAMs together, they were new. That when the free cam was still the latest gadget. Both CAMs got a part no on the back, both got identical apart from the last number obviously, when freecam2 came out, my friend and I had our cams flushed with the new bin file by another friend. My friend was satisfied with his cam which he used with a fun card because it work. Mine used to show inser smart card all the time. When I upgraded my DVB 2000 to version 5beta, I got CI error re-inisialising....
So where did I go wrong? I have tried my friend's cam and it worked perfectly so I decided to flush the cam my self and this is what happend.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Please confirm the following:
either
(1) your friend's CAM plus his funcard work ok in your receiver
or
(2) your friend's CAM plus YOUR funcad works ok in your receiver

If you have tested (1) but not (2) then it may be a problem in your card (or the software on it) - not the CAM.

2old