Clearing Box Office Credits

D

da_judge

I found this... what do you think

1.Go to the SERVICES MENU press '4' for setup and the press 0,1,Select.
2. This will take you to the installers menu, the one they use when they fit your box, change the prefix dial to 123 (Talking Clock)
3.Then when it dials out it gets the speaking clock, Writes a dialup to the Eeprom dumping, and gives you the PPV.
4. Now (Keep Fone Disconeccted)
5. Done.....................

any1 think this will work... im trying it at moment.. will let you know outcome)(-red

D

digitalguy

Originally posted by da_judge
I found this... what do you think

1.Go to the SERVICES MENU press '4' for setup and the press 0,1,Select.
2. This will take you to the installers menu, the one they use when they fit your box, change the prefix dial to 123 (Talking Clock)
3.Then when it dials out it gets the speaking clock, Writes a dialup to the Eeprom dumping, and gives you the PPV.
4. Now (Keep Fone Disconeccted)
5. Done.....................

any1 think this will work... im trying it at moment.. will let you know outcome)(-red

digitalguy

i have read in some forums where people have try this and the receiver just keeps phone up all the time and then they have had to call sky to clear the box memory and i think to my self sky may well start and charge people for the box memory to be cleared

my own words i would not do this at all if you evere want to use box office then i think you will have big trouble on you hands then you will have to phone sky to sort it out

dont any one else try this all on your own heads be it but me never will i do this i like my sky tv to much to muck with it.
yours
digital guyO-Ha

DANGER

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Great idea, but.......

When you order the box offie event, the phone does not necessarilly dial out, it simply tests the line for connection.

The box is requested, I believe on a weekly or monthly basis to phone home and report it's box office usage.

1st assumption for your idea to work, is that you know when the box is going to make the phone call

2nd assumption for your idea to work is that the mere action of the box calling Sky dumps and erases the Eeprom. this is definitely not the case, as it retains information for the credit remaining report.

See the post by Froggs http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469

As Digitalguy says, don't try this at home folks. ;)

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Certainly DON'T enter 123 as a dialing prefix.

Because if you leave the phone line in, the box will keep on dialing the talking clock, a call for which you will get charged.

There have been several cases of people getting HUGE phone bills. The largest I heard of was £1500. The phone bill showed it had been calling the talking clock every 8 minutes for several days.

When Sky investigated, I beleive the person eventually admitted he "saw it on the internet as a wa of getting free PPV"

I asume he would still be liable for the phone bill. Think how much PPV you could buy for £1500!!

If you are going to try it, make sure whatever prefix you add is not a valid phone number, else you will get charged for the call.

Anyway, I thought it had been proven that at best this (and the similar 9v battery trick) is only a way to DELAY paying for a PPV event. If the box ever does dial sucessfully it WILL result in a bill for all those old events you have watched. And it will only work until the card has reached it's credit limit.

D

da_judge

Thanks peeps... cleared that up lol.. looking into the chip now... the 1 made by ST microelectronics... it does what it says on the tin... gonna try locate a data sheet.....
Tell me again if a dark ally thanks:confused