Advice Needed coax and 2 core or 4 core cable

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
for my new 1.8m project - I will be running new cable (i think) as i dont think my existing cable run for my 1.2m will reach where the 1.8m is going - it might...the cable i used was a bargain, second hand, its coax along with 4 cables for motor (only using 2 of that)

annoyingly - i cut the length - as i had loads of it (have kept) but now its cut, i dont want a join due to signal loss....or would it be marginal.

i did keep some slack at both ends of run, so i will have to undo all my nice work, to see if it reaches.

options? (without spending silly money...)

also, whats the name of this cable which has the wires for motors/cctv.

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I compared the signal levels from some joined coaxial cable and direct coax cable and the loss was only fractions of a dB on a 25 metre run.
Out of choice I prefer to use Webro 100 coax cable and have found it to be OK for cable runs up to 45 metres.

The cable with wires for motors/CCTV might be a hybrid cable with thicker cores for the motor current and thinner cores for the sensor.
If it is only the thinner cored cable I think it might be classed as sensor cable but the cable guru's are the experts on this.

Personally, I use 4 core cable with core thichness of 1mm for each core, two cores for the motor and two for the pulse/sensor.
I have not bothered with extra shielding around the sensor cores and have had no glitches or false pulse counts in years of use.
If you are buying some, get the cable with rubber outer sheath.

Just a suggestion, why not create your own "Motorised 1.8m Channel Master Installation" topic and group everything in there that is related to the install such as paint, wiring, concrete base, etc
It would aggregate everything in one place.

Last edited: