Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes an option but digging and cost, looked at moleing a cable /conduit but contractors nervous about hitting gas/water lines etc !

Odd. It's an essential and innate part of the trade that they detect and avoid underground (and overhead) services. Find a Contractor who knows his own trade.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Sat dish location..jpg

As a matter of interest, who owns the tree area next to your back boundary ?.
Is there any remote chance due to your circumstances that the authorities would let you install an ex BT pole or lattice tower there , assuming it would clear the low elevation problem, for possible dish site & then WF125 back to your house?.
Any chance of some more pics from ground level showing more detail around the tree areas.
I think you have one heck of a install problem to crack here Derek.

Derek Grant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Communal Sky dish that I need out of!!!!
My Location
Falkirk
Odd. It's an essential and innate part of the trade that they detect and avoid underground (and overhead) services. Find a Contractor who knows his own trade.

yes they were happy to dig at large cost and confident of utility layouts but the moling option I'd prefer and this was the part they couldn't be sure about.

Derek Grant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
View attachment 102759

As a matter of interest, who owns the tree area next to your back boundary ?.
Is there any remote chance due to your circumstances that the authorities would let you install an ex BT pole or lattice tower there , assuming it would clear the low elevation problem, for possible dish site & then WF125 back to your house?.
Any chance of some more pics from ground level showing more detail around the tree areas.
I think you have one heck of a install problem to crack here Derek.

Yes John, you're dead right! the trees are no longer there, this an older pic from google earth shot.

I've thought of a telegraph pole option but it would need to be at the front of the house and very high to clear tree line.

Can't get any pics the now John as I work offshore and don't get home until next week

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
yes they were happy to dig at large cost and confident of utility layouts but the moling option I'd prefer and this was the part they couldn't be sure about.

Well, look for another Contractor. Moleing is an everyday practice, so if your Contractor isn't up to it, look for another.

Hell, even Murphys and Morrisons nearly get it right! Sometimes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes it's operational by a steam heritage group and they have informed me that it would be possible to dig out some ballast to sink a steel conduit pipe to pull a cable through, thats why I seek advice from you guys because every alternative I look at creates a new problem.

Ah the Bo'ness line - I know it well :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Could you buy an old telegraph pole and have it bolted to the side of the house? Then bolt the dish to the top of that. Or a shortish ham radio type tower maybe?

From where the existing dish is located there cant be much extra clearance required to get a clear line of sight onto the satellites

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
One problem I can foresee with a 130+m run of cable cross country is simply sooner or later the cable is going to get trashed - either:

nibbled through by a squirrel or a rodent
a falling branch is going to break it
it'll rub through from the constant friction of a tree swaying in the breeze
the local yoof will find a low section and cut it
some hiker will find the dish and give it a nudge/steal the lnb just for the hell of it

etc etc

then you have the not inconsiderable expense of replacing all the cable if its damaged or nipping out and seeing if you can find out why the picture went off in the middle of the footy.......

Derek Grant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
One problem I can foresee with a 130+m run of cable cross country is simply sooner or later the cable is going to get trashed - either:

nibbled through by a squirrel or a rodent
a falling branch is going to break it
it'll rub through from the constant friction of a tree swaying in the breeze
the local yoof will find a low section and cut it
some hiker will find the dish and give it a nudge/steal the lnb just for the hell of it

etc etc

then you have the not inconsiderable expense of replacing all the cable if its damaged or nipping out and seeing if you can find out why the picture went off in the middle of the footy.......

Yes I know what you mean with all of the above, might look at tall tower etc to clear the trees

My friend has one of those automated caravan satellites and he thought this may work as it doesn't require anybody to climb up for set up, simply raise it to the required height and it will motorize to find the signal - quite expensive at £1400 but if it worked then great !

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Wont help if it cant see the satellites due to trees being in the way Im afraid. And the only way to clear the trees is to go higher with the dish OR further back from the obstruction. If you can see the satellites then you only need a 20 quid dish.

I'll be honest with you here Derek, we are guessing as to whats going to work. Either you are going to have to have a site survey done by someone who knows what they are doing (possibly with experience of difficult locations), or you are going to have to spend some time on a warm afternoon with a satellite receiver, a dish a portable tv and an extension lead and see if you can find a sweet spot in the garden where you can get a signal.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You might find that a dish on a 3 or 6 foot post over by the edge of the garden by the road gives you sufficient clearance - then you just need to organise a neat cable run around the garden

Derek Grant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
Wont help if it cant see the satellites due to trees being in the way Im afraid. And the only way to clear the trees is to go higher with the dish OR further back from the obstruction. If you can see the satellites then you only need a 20 quid dish.

I'll be honest with you here Derek, we are guessing as to whats going to work. Either you are going to have to have a site survey done by someone who knows what they are doing (possibly with experience of difficult locations), or you are going to have to spend some time on a warm afternoon with a satellite receiver, a dish a portable tv and an extension lead and see if you can find a sweet spot in the garden where you can get a signal.

A good survey from a reliable individual/source would be my aim first but like everything, its getting the right one.

Do you know any companies or individuals that would take this kind of work on?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sorry cant help you with that - Ive always botched together my own systems - the current one being uber complicated! :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Go on, AS. flog him a few used tyres ....... ;):D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Go on, AS. flog him a few used tyres ....... ;):D

article-2358914-1ABA2A58000005DC-106_966x1083.jpg

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Derek, could you not do your own quick basic starter site survey by knocking up the angle finder out of a bit of 2"x 1" or such, same height as existing dish position and sight through to give you some idea of how much your existing shared dish is "seeing" over the top of the houses and the offending raised ground to the rear ?. If the result looks favourable with a decent unobstructed line of sight clearance you could then transfer your angle finder across to the house/ property and repeat the exercise, possibly up a ladder to a suitable high spot on your house to give you an idea if you will ever be able to clear the offending high ground.

Falkirk....angle..jpg

Last edited:

Derek Grant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
Derek, could you not do your own quick basic starter site survey by knocking up the angle finder out of a bit of 2"x 1" or such, same height as existing dish position and sight through to give you some idea of how much your existing shared dish is "seeing" over the top of the houses and the offending raised ground to the rear ?. If the result looks favourable with a decent unobstructed line of sight clearance you could then transfer your angle finder across to the house/ property and repeat the exercise, possibly up a ladder to a suitable high spot on your house to give you an idea if you will ever be able to clear the offending high ground.

View attachment 102796

Thanks for taking to time to draw this out John, much appreciate it and it may help me.

Offshore the now but got some good news today totally out the blue from home - basically at my house today the road has been dug up for fitting of a new gas pipe to a property opposite me so my friend (knowing my Sky situation) on passing by stopped and asked the lads if they'd run some ducting along side the gas pipe in order for me to run new cables across the road. They agreed so for a small fee ! it's already sunk and I now just need to hopefully run new cables to existing dish location and I then intend to bolt my own separate dish on top of the telegraph pole we already have.

Can't believe it, maybe sometimes you do get some luck !!! keep you posted

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^^

Serendipity or what!

Everything crossed it works out for you :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Thanks for taking to time to draw this out John, much appreciate it and it may help me.

Offshore the now but got some good news today totally out the blue from home - basically at my house today the road has been dug up for fitting of a new gas pipe to a property opposite me so my friend (knowing my Sky situation) on passing by stopped and asked the lads if they'd run some ducting along side the gas pipe in order for me to run new cables across the road. They agreed so for a small fee ! it's already sunk and I now just need to hopefully run new cables to existing dish location and I then intend to bolt my own separate dish on top of the telegraph pole we already have.

Can't believe it, maybe sometimes you do get some luck !!! keep you posted

Ensure that what is in the pipe is armoured since it will become, literally, a rat run in the very near future.