??? Compass Degrees ???

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
I am new to this stuff!

Can someone explain the satalite locations.

I am picking up I believe Astra satalites on this new system of mine.
Very few english stations, and the BBC stations are not coming through.

Please explain this Astra 28e? etc

28e of what, South? If south is 180 is Astra28e 152 degrees?
and Astra 19e 161 degrees?

I have a digital compass so I thought this might be useful for locating
satalite?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi mick2me
basically from the uk we can see an arc in the sky which runs from the Eastern horizon to the Western horizon. The top of that arc would actually be zero degrees. Either side of that you have satellites at e.g. 1 deg West 4 deg West 5 Deg West etc click here to see the list of satellites due West of South known as Atlantic. Click here to see a list of satellites due East of South i.e. zero degrees known as European.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
mick2me said:
I am new to this stuff!

Can someone explain the satalite locations.

I am picking up I believe Astra satalites on this new system of mine.
Very few english stations, and the BBC stations are not coming through.

Please explain this Astra 28e? etc

28e of what, South? If south is 180 is Astra28e 152 degrees?
and Astra 19e 161 degrees?

I have a digital compass so I thought this might be useful for locating
satalite?

You need to provide a tad extra information, like what dish you are using, did you set it up yourself, or is it a previously installed dish.

If you have plugged the receiver into an existing dish and it is producing non-English channels, then you are probably looking at Astra 19.2E, rather than Astra 28.2 East Sky Digital.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
Is your 0 degrees equivilant to south?

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
It is the LIDL system with 59cm dish.
I am getting a 50-70% signal

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mick2me said:
Is your 0 degrees equivilant to south?
Effectively for someone in the UK but that will change as you move East or West since zero longitude is for historical reasons, the meridian passing the old Royal Astronomical Observatory in Greenwich, England, is the one chosen as zero longitude. Located at the eastern edge of London, the British capital, the observatory is now a public museum and a brass band stretching across its yard marks the "prime meridian." Tourists often get photographed as they straddle it--one foot in the eastern hemisphere of the Earth, the other in the western hemisphere.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Hmmm interestin stuff.

Trying to remember is Nottingham about a degree out?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
1.159 degrees West, thus your due South satellite is actually 1 degree West

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
So does this mean that South is now 0 degrees, not north for satelite purposes.
Assuming you are on or close to the zero longitude?

The BBC channels that are blank to me ar getting 55-70 signal..

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
mick2me said:
So does this mean that South is now 0 degrees, not north for satelite purposes.
Assuming you are on or close to the zero longitude?

The BBC channels that are blank to me ar getting 55-70 signal..

Yes, or in your case 1 deg west and in mine 9 degree West.
When we say 19 degree west it means 19 degree west of due south.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Butterbox said:
When we say 19 degree west it means 19 degree west of due south.

Hello

Thank You.

Summed up in one line :)

I will be increasing the height of the dish in order to try and get the missing BBC channels.

I am currently picking up signals from Astra 19 and Astra 28

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
its quite easy to find out which sat your on if you press the top right button "list"
it give info on all sats or you can choose one manually.
If you choose say astra 1 and there is no signal then simply swap to the next sat until you get a picture it really is that easy.
If you bought the silv*rcrest full box £59.99 you got an audio sat meter it wont tell you which sat your on but it will tell you when you have one, point it roughly south and loosen off both the up and down bolts face say 28*e and start around 29* azimuth (thats the posh word for elevation) you will hear the audio signal change the higher the pitch the better, when its at its best turn left or right to fine tune it, its a weak tone which gets louder as you get it more accurate.
Astra 1 and 2 will boom out and hotbird too but up here in the Nw there is little showing on hotbird on the 57cm dish, there may be some software out to get more channels soon so watch this space, what channels are you after?

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
mrminibus said:
its quite easy to find out which sat your on if you press the top right button "list"
it give info on all sats or you can choose one manually.
If you choose say astra 1 and there is no signal then simply swap to the next sat until you get a picture it really is that easy.
If you bought the silv*rcrest full box £59.99 you got an audio sat meter it wont tell you which sat your on but it will tell you when you have one, point it roughly south and loosen off both the up and down bolts face say 28*e and start around 29* azimuth (thats the posh word for elevation) you will hear the audio signal change the higher the pitch the better, when its at its best turn left or right to fine tune it, its a weak tone which gets louder as you get it more accurate.
Astra 1 and 2 will boom out and hotbird too but up here in the Nw there is little showing on hotbird on the 57cm dish, there may be some software out to get more channels soon so watch this space, what channels are you after?

I am picking up a signal of 50-70% from both Astra's 19e & 28e, so maybe my dish is pointing between them. The 59cm dish (part of the LIDL SL65 package) is currently only about 10-12 ft off the ground. As soon as I get hold of a ladder it will go higher.

As for channels, I want to pick up as many english channels as possible.

I am planning to get a dish motor, which I am informed will work with the SL65.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are pointing between them then you will get nothing, you are probably looking at one or the other, height is not important, only a clear line of sight matters. You need to scan the satellite with 19.2 settings and see how many channels come up, then check the names and frequencies, you can then see if you are on that satellite.

xecuterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky atm
temp setup on chair also-see siggy
My Location
UK
I have sl65 too, it does say the same % signal for astra 1 or 2

i believe because its checking a tp (transponder/frequency) thats used in both astra1 and 2, in fact if you check the settings, astra1 and 2 have all same settings

if you scan for astra2 while pointin at astra1 you will recieve astra 1 channles but itll just say astra 2 on the now n next guide hehe

Have you tried 30W yet, the elevation should be roughly the same as 19' astra1 I believe, maybe a bit higher or lower

Iv not got a permant sat system bolted to the wall yet and im pretty close to you so I wonder if I can recieve it really =)

also, I believe if youv not tried yet, you should be able to get 13 east, that is hotbird - a bit higher than 19', not much fursther though,

further south you go more elevation you need.

Finally
is currently only about 10-12 ft off the ground. As soon as I get hold of a ladder it will go higher.
btw, it doesnt matter how high of the ground your sat is unless you have treese nearby which may obsctruct the signal. if im right you havnt yet got a motor, so leave it low for now, be easier to move about to explore the different sats

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Thanks

There is a garage apex about 3 metres from the dish so it needs to go higher.

I did check and am getting 67% signal from both Astra 28 and Astra 19.2?

I got my coordinates, and input them to the SL65
With coordinates such as 52:54:02N and 1:17:58E, the box will hold only so many digits? Should it read just "52.5N" and "001.1E" after updating?

xecuterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky atm
My Location
UK
regarding your co-ordinates, is this about setting up diseq - I have no experience of this

all I have done so far is set up the box to work with 28 and 19

all I do is go to the menu, put delete all, television - then delete all radio, this has given me a clean epg, and then I have been doing an FTA only scan when finding signal quality.

my setup atm is temporary and waiting till we get a conservatory built until we do a permanent install of the dish.

here - take a look - http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=47732
notice im using a spare minidish - I got the £40 box not the whole package

oh, can you take any photos of your lidl dish setup
Id appreciate if you could PM them to me
thanks

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Thaks for the info

You Sed...

"oh, can you take any photos of your lidl dish setup
Id appreciate if you could PM them to me
thanks"

I will try to remember this weekend
Keep bugging me with a pm if I forget?

BTW its not possible to PM you?

Mick T

xecuterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard sky atm
My Location
UK
I dont think this forum allows PM's unless you can confirm youv sent a pm to someone else before...

when I try to send a pm i get

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You have not yet completed the signup process fully, You would have received an email in your inbox during signup. You MUST follow the link in that email before you can use some features.
  2. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
  3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

no pm settings in user cp either

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
xecuterbox said:
I dont think this forum allows PM's unless you can confirm youv sent a pm to someone else before...

when I try to send a pm i get

no pm settings in user cp either

I am sending pm#s no problem, just got the error with you?