Complete beginner !!help!!

mick2973

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none as yet
My Location
north scotland moray coast
I have very little satelitte experience until recently when i had to set up a dish, after researching on the internet a whole new world has appeared to which im hooked...... So i have a budget and would like to buy the best equipment there is.. Im very interested in motorised set up and blind search facility.. So far i like the sound of the manhattan 550 reciever (is it discontinued?) the jaeger 1224HH EL motor (why do i need incline?) a V box? Dish and LNB.... Basically if there is a satelitte out there id like to be able to see it:confused I know there are experts on here so Im hoping youll take up this challenge/project, I will keep you all informed as it progresses, so to that end can you educte a complete beginner to a feed hunter....thanks folks.:-worship

aerialview

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized. Diablo 2.3 lite cam with cas3 interface.
My Location
Lancashire
Alright pal. Im new to this game as well and I have learnt that you dont get the info given to you on a plate.

My advice is go for it, its just nuts and bolts pal. You will learn so much more. Otherwise the advice will be easy come, easy go.

Good luck pal.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi mick2973,
hopefully I can provide a few bits of information, and you can then research the forum and decide what you really want, and need:
1 If I read your post correctly, you don't require a motor for inclined orbit tracking, this is just to pick up older satellites that are beginning to decay in their orbit, and so can not always be received by dishes tracking the normal arc. By this time the main channels have been transferred to newer satellites and these old satellites are just used for obscure transmissions.
2. A V box is just a device that goes between some receivers and motors to convert disecq to 36 volt, as most modern receivers no longer support this, too expensive, so they allow a separate piece of equipment to keep the price of receivers down.
3. You will probably keep your dish and motor even though you might change your receiver a few times, so try to get a reasonable quality dish and motor. Depending on where you are going to fix the dish, wall or ground mounted, I would try to get a 1 Metre dish, the new maximum, in most areas, before you require planning permission, but check the local regulations.
4. Blind search is a good facility for picking up feeds, but some receivers do take hours searching, so if this is important to you try to get a receiver that has a fast blind search capability.
5. One of the best value for money receivers, at present, is the Technomate 1000 range, this includes models 1000, 1500, 1600 etc. They are currently well supported, easy to patch, and have a lot of good features for the cost, which is less than £100 in a lot of cases. The enthusiasts receivers are Linux based, like the Dreambox, triple dragon and others, where you can link them to your computer, and the internet, and they have a lot of useful extra capabilities, but you will learn more of this as you get into this hobby.

The first thing you need to do is work out where you are going to have to position your dish, to be able to receive the most satellites, and the most appropriate size dish you will require, this all depends on your general location, so please provide a little more information, i.e. if you're in the UK, and general area, North West, South East.
Please read through the forum and then post back with more specific questions.
Best wishes
Mickha

mick2973

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none as yet
My Location
north scotland moray coast
ok ive ordered my kit now...
triac 88cm 0.2dB LNB...... jeager 128 hh motor, technomate 1600ci +m super.
all cables and connectors also a vbox as the motor is 36v.
My friend is on stand by to manufacture the bracket etc

I was reading a thread about the elevation and it appears that 19e is not the same elevation as say 28.2.
do i have to adjust the elevation evertime or as i suspect the h to h motor moves in an arc from left to right following the horizon.

After some thought and research it appear that setting the motor up initially means i must be perfectly facing south with the motor at 0 degree.......

Any tips welcome....
thanks again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are several threads and one or two sticky threads on installing motorised setups, but the easy way is to align to your closest due South satellite, in your case 5W Atlanticbird 3, then make any small adjustments by driving the dish using Usals to that satellite (which probably isn't your exact due south) and realigning to perfect it.

As you suggest above, the motor when correctly set, move through the arc without need for any adjustments. :)