Complete Beginner please help

pdosanjh

Reaction score
Right

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I have a sky digital system at the moment, live in warwickshire. I'm cancelling my sky subscription at the end of this month and want to know more about how to pick up european satellite stations "FOC" ;)

I have a standard sky digital dish and a standard sky receiver. Any help much appreciated but please remeber i'm a complete beginner and have no idea what i'm lol!

Look forward to the replies

Peppy

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Welcome to the forum Peppy,
You can still pick up the free-to-air channels from Astra 28 east with your current dish and Sky receiver. For a test remove your viewing card and see what is left.

For European channels you will need a larger dish (maybe 80cms) and at least a free-to-air receiver (from about 80 pounds).
What did you have in mind a fixed dish for one satellite, or a motorised system for many satellites which of course will knock the price up quite a bit.
Have a read through the forum and see what is best for you, and then ask again ok.

pdosanjh

Reaction score
Hi Rob

I think a fixed dish would be the way to go, will my original sky dish not pick anything up apart from the normal sky satellite if i was to move it and point it in a different direction? Also, would that same dish interact with a different receiver or is it only designed for that one?

What if i picked up an old sky analogue satellite, would that work for anything in europe?

What direction would you recommend to pick up premiership football? And what receiver would you recommend?

Thanks for the welcome! :-)

Peps

Rob said:
Welcome to the forum Peppy,
You can still pick up the free-to-air channels from Astra 28 east with your current dish and Sky receiver. For a test remove your viewing card and see what is left.

For European channels you will need a larger dish (maybe 80cms) and at least a free-to-air receiver (from about 80 pounds).
What did you have in mind a fixed dish for one satellite, or a motorised system for many satellites which of course will knock the price up quite a bit.
Have a read through the forum and see what is best for you, and then ask again ok.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Why not try what one of our members has done and move your dish to Hotbird at 13 east. It has a very strong signal and should be easy to find.
At the moment he reckons he can receive 100+ free-to-air channels with a 45 cm dish.
As for your dish you can use any receiver you want with it.
Do you mean an old Sky analogue receiver, or complete system. I would not think you will get very much out of either, but after finding out someone can get 100+ channels with a 45 cm dish who knows.
As for fta Premiership football, forget it. Last season we had about 4 good channels showing fta footy but so far this year nothing. Still things change keep a look out in
Jimbo's Football section under FTA Premiership Football.
Good Luck