complete breakdown

FRAZER

Reaction score
My Nokia Satscan/ MM9902S system has gone completely beserk. I suspect it's a software problem, but maybe someone else has other ideas.

Anyway, it started when the motor suddenly started shifting a few degrees out of alignment when changing between two channels on the same satellite. This eventually resolved itself after turning the machine on and off a few times, but happened again, and this time I had to reset each satellite individually to get it working again.

This lasted a while, but the next odd thing was that when trying to load in some new channels, though the reciever found the signal, it wasn't finding the channel itself, and nor could it find channels which I already had stored, and was still able to watch.

After this, the alignment problem happened again, except this time all hell broke loose. The motor started moving when it wasn't supposed to (eg when simply scrolling through the options on the channel search page), and then started trying to bury itself in the gutter.

For a time, I could still bring it back into line by moving it bit by bit through the remote control, but then it seemed to decide to change it's east and west limits, so that it refused to move east of about Sirius (and trying to reset the limits was no good as I had to be able to move it beyond where it was prepared to go).

Eventually it went as far as it could go West (ie the gutter) and then refused to move at all, which is where it still is. Any ideas about either what's happened, or what I can do now? Is this just another example of dodgy Nokia software? Can I physically move the dish away from the gutter, and back to where it's supposed to be without losing the other relevant alignments? Thoughout all the difficulties it remained on the correct arc so that I could still pick up various satellites, although it would refuse to move back to the correct spot of its own accord.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as I can't even watch the BBC without the dish!

Thank you,

Frazer

PS. although I suspect a software problem, a tried a customer reset, and this made no difference. Maybe the software for the Satscan is separate from the other software, and isn't affected by a reset in the same way?

FRAZER

Reaction score
Managed to coax the dish out of the gutter and onto the Sky satellite, where I'm going to leave it until I know what the hell is going on with my machine!

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Hi Frazer

I've got exactly the same symptoms as you and I've referred motor back to dealer as probably faulty - did you manage to establish what the cause of your trouble was...

My setup is Sammy dsr9500 viaci, cambridge platinum .6 lnb, 80 cm dish , and the villain I suspect - a geotrack sg 2001 diseqc h-h motor.....

It has been driving me mad for the last 3 weeks!! :confused

FRAZER

Reaction score
Not yet no! At the moment, the motor is behaving enough to allow me to move it degree by degree in the channel search menu. I've had to store all the channels from all the satellites under Astra, and then change the position of Astra, as far as the machine is concerned, in order to watch them; otherwise the motor would just go wherever it pleases if I actually asked it to find another satellite itself.

But there are still oddities. Until a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't able to move the dish to the west at all, so in order to change satellites, I had to ask it to reset its limits, which would end with it going as far east as it could, before edging it back to the west. Then it did the burying itself in the gutter thing again, after which I couldn't get it to move at all for a while, until persistent trying started edging it free again. But now, for some reason, I am able to move it in both directions!

Also, when switching between certain channels on Hotbird (and this only happens on Hotbird as far as I can see), the motor will start moving again for no apparent reason.

So at the moment, I am just trying to stop it moving of its own accord, so that I am at least in control of where it goes, although clearly this does make changing between satellites a much longer process than it should be.

I already sent the machine back, as some of the behaviour suggested to me that the problem may lie there, but they said it was fine. My local satellite installer is supposed to be coming to check it out, but keeps putting me off, so I'm none the wiser really. It would be interesting to hear if your problem does turn out to come from the motor, as that would confirm my fear that ultimately I'm going to have to dismantle the whole set up and send it to be repaired.

Good luck!

Frazer

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
Hi Frazer

Thanks for the prompt reply - sorry to hear you are still having problems.

I will certainly keep you posted on progress at my end - my motor actually stopped working when it got into a real strop - but would revive after an hour or so - then do as it jolly well pleased no matter what I tried from the Sammy.....usually parking itself fully E or W and ignoring all commands - or pretending satellites were in completely different positions if it revived and wanted to tease me...!! 'O'-red

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sammy 9500s are quite choosy on the outdoor equipment connected to them

Two Ive installed have no trouble (Geotrack actuators), the other two (one Stab and another with a 'Manhattan' branded thing) are temperamental.

Additional reliability can be achieved by setting the DiSeqC repeat function to its highest

Machete_421

Reaction score
Hey lads, ive got a real simillar problem to u!

I have a Manhattan 5900, with MM penta 1.09 loaded.
Im running a 1m Dish on a Diseqc 1.2 Motor.
I have upgraded to the latest reciever software (through Uploader 4), performed the master reset then re-installed my channel settings through (STB editor).

And after this it will work fine, but my tp data was out of date so i wasnt recieving all the latest channels, i needed to perform a channel search. But after i perform a channel search the dish will not rotate, its does the search, stores the data, reboots and brings up a picture, but after this it is locked to watever sat i searched on???
I cant manually move the dish or move it through the reciever!
So now im forced to master reset, change sat, search, everytime i want to watch channels on another sat! If anyone out there can give me a clue or a bit of help ill be really grateful, this is proper annoyin! lol, its been like this for ages!

Ps, i have tried older versions of the software, and the same thing happens, Ive reset the motor and that doesnt help! im proper lost now!

Also if some one has a manhattan 5900 is it possible you cud upload your latest channel settings so i cud see if ur settings work! thanks alot

Cheers!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you cant operate it correctly, try powering down, then deleting everything on board, then powering down, then reloading firmware and settings.

If no cure then send it back as the flash memory is corrupted. Common with Manny 5900s and theres no real cure apart from a replacement board

spowpeen

Reaction score
My Location
peru
hello frazer im having satscan motor trouble as well (see thread two below nokia problems) i think its definatly software probs,as mine was fine till i went back to old software ,now motor just moves from side to side on its own,i used this motor with analogue (for which it was designed)and worked great but is very tempermental with digital,my systems been out of action for weeks now the two options im looking at before throwing the lot in the bin,is getting hold of a analogue receiver to set everything up again (which worked for me before when i had this trouble) or trying a digisat meter ,which can be used to drive and possibly overide the satscan commands according to the info.best of luck let me know if you get it sorted as we are both in the same boat.ps you could try the nokia technical helpline (see the website) regards spowpeen.:p

FRAZER

Reaction score
Well, my problem has deepened as the receiver refused to start up about a month ago, which left me stuck on 10 degrees east, and unable to use even my digibox to watch the normal British channels. The Nokia customer services were actually worse than useless- I had read on another website that this (new problem) could be due to a faulty hard drive, which is supposedly easy to replace yourself, but Nokia insisted that it was not that, but rather that the software needed reflashing, which meant sending it to their recommended repair firm. After two weeks they got round to looking at it, and, it was a faulty hard drive, which they removed, but I told them to send it back to me as I would buy a new (bigger) one myself, rather than wiating for them to order a new one themselves- apparently it works fine as a normal receiver without a hard drive installed anyway.

So I bought the drive, and waited for the receiver, which, two weeks after despatch still hasn't arrived, and the repair firm now say they can't trace the despatch number to check with the courier where it is. Meanwhile, I have written and e-mailed Nokia to ask for them to pay the £65 repair and postage bill which their bad advice cost me, about which they have yet to get back to me.

As you can see, I have gone from buggered to totally buggered in 4 weeks. In that time I also tried to get an analogue receiver with Satscan on eBay, but was outbid in the last 30 seconds! So I'm a little pissed off with the whole thing. I would be interested to know if the hard drive problem could be related in any way to the problem with the motor, though I can't really imagine how, and the hard drive was still working when the motor already wasn't. Had the new problem been a software issue, I guess they might have been connected- I didn't mention the motor problem to Nokia this time though (having talked to them about that in the past), so that wouldn't have prompted their false diagnosis.

I shall report on what happens, in particular Nokia's response to my, what I think is reasonable, request for compensation.

Frazer

spowpeen

Reaction score
My Location
peru
sounds a rum deal that one,i also tried the technical services and he told me that you should never go backwards with software only forwards in versions.he said if i did a factory reset then removed east/west limits the dish will go back to zero ie astra19e(where it wants to be!) ive tried this lots of times the dish is still moving side to side on its own,somewhere around sirious and wont stop!!!! .i have considered the possiblity of getting a satscan interface with remote and getting new receiver,this way i can keep motor and dish,instead of changing the lot.

FRAZER

Reaction score
Have you seen one of the Satscan interfaces advertised anywhere? I found one on a Hungarian site but they were apparently out of stock, and had no price listed, but that's all.

Anyway, got my receiver back finally- it seemingly hadn't been sent out until 11 days after they said it had, and then the couriers delivered it to a house about a half a mile away and left it outside, not bothering to get a signature!

And, it still doesn't work. Now instead of a continuously scrolling menu, the menu stops after a few seconds, but the reciever still doesn't start up. Supposedly the engineer who "fixed" it- ie took the hard disk out which was meant to allow it to work again- is phoning me tomorrow.

Also heard from Nokia aout my initial complaint with them- though it may turn out that they were right after all and it was a software problem, if, that is, the engineer didn't actually check that it was working after he took the hard disk out. Bizarrely, though, Nokia are trying to argue that their phone support team- which is referred to on their website as a technical support hotline- actually have no real technical knowledge to be able to advise on fixing problems, and so the reciever actually has to be sent in to Anovo- their recommended repair company- to find out what's wrong. Of course, they didn't tell me this when they said it was a software problem; if they had, I might have tried removing the hard drive first to see if that did the job, and only then spent the £65 sending it to the repairers.

Still, I shall wait and see what everyone says in the next couple of days; presumably it will end up going back to Anovo, though I'm definately not paying this time!

Frazer

spowpeen

Reaction score
My Location
peru
ill be glad when i see the back of this nokia gear and start a fresh,i think i will go for a moteck diseqc mount they have had very good reviews ,fine for up to 1.2metres as long as the dish is alloy you should be okay weight wise.the interfaces are available in germany,try mascom they do them but cant find price!best of luck spowpeen.