Complete newbie, have a few important questions, please help!

tandeh

Reaction score
hi, I am interested in going motorised with the moteck sg2100 motor (cheapest I have seen is here: http://www.videowinkel.nl/winkels/catalog/index.php?cPath=29_44 anyone ever shopped here? or got any better deal?), and maybe a 80cm -1m high gain dish which is compatible with the above motor or maybe a clear high gain dish (can you get high gain ones?).

I already have an invacom 0.3db LNB, and ft125 cable (maplins version of ct125), self amalgamating tape and f connectors, so I just need a motor and dish.

I also I may need a bracket as I do not want to put the dish on the front south-side wall of my house, but the west-side wall.

so I may need a longer arm bracket (any suggestions) as I have only ever done one dish and that was wall mounted (I do not fancy doing a pole mount on the roof as I am scared of heights- I just about plucked enough courage, with also help from friends to do the wall mount about 3/4's way up the house wall).

I live in Manchester next to the old Trafford area, and my house is detached, I plan to tell people it’s a 90cm if asked. I hope this is enough info, can someone please answer the following questions:

1a)Which is the highest gain dish up to 1m, can u get clear ones? and any online retailers with a decent price here in the UK or in Europe? (the above retailer does a Funke 99cm and Triax 110cm.

But I am willing to buy elsewhere as long as it’s the highest gain possible up to 1m at a reasonable price and fits the sg2100 motor and has a 40mm collar for my invacom LNB.

1b) Brymar recommend their ISS high gain dishes, are these any good?

2) what sort of attachment arm would I need to stick it on the west-side wall of my house so I can still motorise.

I will be using with my Skystar 2.6c DVB-S card but plan to buy the Dreambox 708x series reciever once out and stable.

I hope you can help as I have searched Google and forums to no avail, I am getting confused, but this site seems the dogs bollocks for satellite info, sorry for the long post,

Regards Tandeh

tandeh

Reaction score
hi can someone help, at least with question whats the best 1m dish i can get?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are going for a 1m dish on an SG-2100 in an exposed position, you need it to be a light one, aluminium if possible, Hirschmann do a 95cm Alluminium dish and it is very good quality.

Raven make the 90cm Gemini which is steel mesh, but performs well.

If you have the dish on the western elevation, then it needs to sit above the gutter line, in order to see above the roof for the Eastern satellites, so T&K brackets and steel pole are necessary.

tandeh

Reaction score
what about the triax 1.1 metre will that fit on pole and t&k, my local fitteris offering the dish for £55.00 and the T&K with pole for £25.00 plus to fit with the rest of my equipment another £80.00 is that reasonable or can i get a better gain dish at a smaller size (he said i could also pick Arabsat and sirious with that dish?).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The dish is fine, but bigger than I would suggest with the motor, I have a customer who installed that combination and after 6 months the motor has more movement than I would like.

tandeh

Reaction score
what do you mean by play? and what's the best dish i can get for my motor that is comparible to a Triax 1.1 or other good 1m high gain dish.

what about epileptical (right spelling?) dishes i saw one retailer: http://www.satalogue.com/section4/page4.htm comparing to 1m or 1.2 metre dishes. All i want is as much as possible without going overboard with dish size.

can you recommend a reputable supplier for your recommended dish, one who has a good price also. Thanx for all the advice it really appreciated.

is the gilbertini or philips dishes any good?

does nayone on the board sell good high gain dishes?

K

kalamar

I wore out a SG-2100 with a Triax 110cm in less than 6 months it had an inch of play in it! (gears are loose):eek:

it did handle the Winegard 76cm ok and thats a good dish and fits the motor perfectly.:)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I got a Triax 88cm from these people for £40 delivered (I believe it's £50 now), and with the invacom 0.3db LNB it gave me some very good results (...free delivery is only if you buy online).

http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=22&osCsid=d1e0e4c4e49f37fbc3e38e8039bc7dc4

I also think the Gemini 90cm dish would be a good option (being mesh) as this will help slightly with wind loading. I personally wouldn't go any bigger than the Triax 88cm for a solid dish on the SG2100. My SG2100 shows no sign of wear after 6 months, but it is mounted just above ground level in a very sheltered location. I don't like heights either!

tandeh

Reaction score
what about the Funke 1m Alumminium dish? is that any good , and would it wear out the SG2100 (moteck)??

The guy at http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes.htm mentions it's really light and has very high gain?

what's the weight compared to to a triax 88cm, basically i want the highest gain dish that won't wear out my motor due to its size, i'm willing to pay extra as long as the dish fits the Sg2100 and my 40mm collor (standard) invacom 0.3 LNB.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It is not only the weight, but the wind loading, the Funke is a good dish, but again, it is on the bordrline for above roof installation as it will be very exposed.

tandeh

Reaction score
So rolfw? what's your reccommendation on the best high gain dish that will be good for my setup? any tips of where i can get a decent price aswell?

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i think a better idea would be the stabHH100/stabHH120 motor.thats what ive got and is a lot more heavy-duty than your motor.i fitted a dish for a guy last week who had the same motor,theyre not the best thing to have if you want to drive a big dish around.

TWAG

tandeh

Reaction score
twag42 said:
i think a better idea would be the stabHH100/stabHH120 motor.thats what ive got and is a lot more heavy-duty than your motor.i fitted a dish for a guy last week who had the same motor,theyre not the best thing to have if you want to drive a big dish around.

TWAG
http://www.satcritics.com/grabreview.php?ZGF0ZSgpMTMgTWF5IDIwMDM=&v=MTI=d1fe173d08e959397adf34b1d77e88d7&o=MQ==b6d767d2f8ed5d21a44b0e5886680cb9

the SG2100 is the one that is recommended by most on here and this review conforms that it can take what the stabhh120 can.

any idea's on the best dish for my motor i am advised not to go higher than 90cm, i am considering the Raven Gemini 90cm but before taking the plunge, i want to know any better 90cm dishes around without putting too much load on motor and being prone to high winds.

is the Raven made from aluminimum?

any cheap and reputable online retailers? i tried hisat but its in a foreign language.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Raven are steel mesh dishes, Technisat do a nice 88cm Aluminium dish as well.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
tandeh said:
So rolfw? what's your reccommendation on the best high gain dish that will be good for my setup? any tips of where i can get a decent price aswell?
RolfW has already given you his recommedations, and in fact has already told you that the Gemini is steel mesh.

The SG2100 is certainly not the best motor out there, but it probably is the best VALUE FOR MONEY.

If you can limit yourself to 90cm (or 1m max) then go for the SG2100, but don't expect it to last forever. You get what you pay for.

If you want a bigger dish, and/or want it above roof level, and you want it to last for five years, then invest in a proper 36v heavy duty motor and positioner.

Also, if you want a long-lasting setup, get some PROPER brackets, and a STEEL pole, not an alluminium one.

Regards,

STICK

tandeh

Reaction score
so rolfw what's your recommendation?, i have seen HIRSCHMANN PERFECT 90cm Offset Dish get good review here: http://www.tele-satellite.com/TSI/9712/hirschmann.shtml, is it any good? it seems to be alluminium.

i can't find any where i can get this dish, it sounds like a very good dish. would a invacom 40mm collar LNB fit this dish and als would it work with the SG2100,.

i hope somone can help, thanx in advance much appreciated.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That particular dish as advertised is for commercial or multi receiver installation, it comes complete with a quattro LNB. It does look like it is available without he LNB though.

Hirschmann equipment generally is excellent, their dishes no less so, I'm not sure about retailers who sell them, as I buy them from my wholesaler.

tandeh

Reaction score
so would my invacom 0.3 db fit the herschman? do you sell this dish can i buy from as you mention you buy wholesale, so i thought you may sell aswell.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, don't sell equipment, as the prices I can buy for are not too much different from E-tailers, why not E-mail Hirschmann and ask for their resellers, the LNB holder will be a standard 40mm.

K

kalamar

One advantage of the Stab HH motor is the USALS built in functions.and it is a little heaver duty than SG-2100 and costs a little more. I will buy one when the sg2100 I have now goes south.

The Stab HH-90 is good up to 95cm
The Stab HH-100 is ok for up to 100cm
The Stab HH120 is good for up to 120cm

They all (Stab) have DISEqC 1.2 and USALS compliance.