Complete newbie in Russia

nicewithice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax with viaccess card
P4
My Location
Russia St Petersburg
Hi guys, I have a question.I lived in Portugal and Greece before, I always had satellite TV, Astra Digital, mainly to watch German TV programmes. (I am not German, my wife is...)Now we moved to Russia, and we have in our new place at St Petersburg a sat dish and receiver installed, the receiver is a Humax VA-ACE, and it works with a Viaccess card, what gives us Russian and some American programmes.My questions: how can I find out where the satellite is pointing to ? Can I install my own satellite receiver that used before in Portugal also here ? Can I eventually install other cards in my Russian receiver ??To make it short, I want to have my German channels back here in Russia ! If anyone has ideas, I appreciate ! I will fly back tonight to pickup my stuff, including my receiver and hope he will work here.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
nicewithice said:
Hi guys, I have a question.I lived in Portugal and Greece before, I always had satellite TV, Astra Digital, mainly to watch German TV programmes. (I am not German, my wife is...)Now we moved to Russia, and we have in our new place at St Petersburg a sat dish and receiver installed, the receiver is a Humax VA-ACE, and it works with a Viaccess card, what gives us Russian and some American programmes.My questions: how can I find out where the satellite is pointing to ? Can I install my own satellite receiver that used before in Portugal also here ? Can I eventually install other cards in my Russian receiver ??To make it short, I want to have my German channels back here in Russia ! If anyone has ideas, I appreciate ! I will fly back tonight to pickup my stuff, including my receiver and hope he will work here.

questions: how can I find out where the satellite is pointing to

Make a list of some of the channels names and post it here. Someone will help you to recognize the satellite name.
Or you can do it yourself by checking Lyngsat website.

Check the footprints for Astra 19.2E and see which size dish you will need to install in your new home. Check if you need planning permission first.
Your old receiver should be able to show you the channels that you are used to, if the signal quality is good and if the weather is not so bad.
You can ADD this dish to the one that is already there, if the channels are interesting enough.

nicewithice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax with viaccess card
P4
My Location
Russia St Petersburg
I have Fashion TV, Hallmark, CNN international, Eurosport, Extreme sports, Euronews, and a bunch of Russian ones, such as REN, 7 and others I do not understand yet..
I was hoping to be doing itwith the same dish as installed, the Russian landlord will not allow me to change I think...
Thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
nicewithice said:
I have Fashion TV, Hallmark, CNN international, Eurosport, Extreme sports, Euronews, and a bunch of Russian ones, such as REN, 7 and others I do not understand yet..
I was hoping to be doing itwith the same dish as installed, the Russian landlord will not allow me to change I think...
Thanks

Perhaps I am mistaken, but my guess is that the present dish is pointing to Eutelsat W4 at 36.0°E

and the box has NTV Plus package:

_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/ntvplusew4.html

All the channels you mentioned above are in this package.

If the dish is shared by other tennants, then there is no chance that he will agree to change the position. Also your wife might want to watch the Russian channels.
I suggest you talk to him about adding another dish.
Perhaps a bottle of good vodka from the duty free while you are on this trip might help. :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

The dish is possibly aligned to 4.8E Sirius. To confirm, could you list the corresponding frequencies for the channels you stated above, as they are transmitted on various satellites.

Looking at the footprint for one of the Astra 1 satellites (1H) it looks like it would be possible in St Petersburg with a suitably sized dish, it isn't too far off the footprint. If you got to lyngsat you can check some of the others for yourself.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra1h.html

Edit.

I blame Kingofsat, it didn't find REN TV on 36E:-rofl2

Yes 36E looks more like it.:-rofl2

Robbo:)