Complete novice: Receiving two satellites.

M

mikos

Now ITV Dodgytal is dead I'm looking to get a satellite system .Help would be greatly appreciated (I'm in Southern England).

I've been told it is possible to receive Astra and Hotbird with a single fixed dish, with two LNBs fitted? I don't understand how as they are in different bits of the sky (to use a technical term) Will a $ky receiver do the job on its' own? Can anybody kindly suggest what equipment is necessary?

Can anyone please enlighten me, and suggest what equipment I will need? Are there any FAQs on the web which might enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Hobby.

The Sky Digibox is certainly capable of receivung other channels, but unless you are prepared for a lot of fiddling, I would suggest you buy a proper receiver. There are several threads over the past few days discussing the merits of various receivers and dish setups, have a look at them, as the questions you are asking have been answered in them.

Yes, one dish can see two ore even more satellites, If you shine a torch directly into a mirror, the beam will come straight back, but if you shine it from a slight sideways position like a second LNB, the beam will go off in a different direction, that's how.

Rolf

M

mikos

Thanks for the reply. However I'm told that only a Sky receiver is capable of receiving Sky channels. If this is true it would indicate that a second non-sky tuner would be necessary. I have no objection to buying a "proper" receiver but is this really so?

mike

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is Mike, although the Sky Digibox is a necessary tool for recieving anything other than the free to air channels on Astra 28,2, It is severely hampered in it's ability to tune in and store channels from other satellites, it also periodically loses them once found.

If you can afford it, a second receiver would be ideal.

Rolf

TB

Reaction score
Since I've had my zone 2 $ky mini dish, I've spotted four houses round here with 1, bastards, copying me, dunno if this is the right thread, just wanted 2 share it with everyone!!