Complete set up for novice

How Much?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband Internet no satellite yet.
My Location
North England
Hi to everybody.

I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum but hopefully somebody will be able to help or point me in the right direction.

My wife and I have just moved back to the UK from Denmark (my wife being Danish) and we would like to be able to receive Danish TV for the kids but we are currently struggling to come up with a solution.

I have read around and the best idea seems to be to purchase some satellite equipment and either buy a subsciption card over here (very expensive by all accounts) or get the family over there to buy one and send it over to us (they do not seem keen on this idea).

So basically i guess i am asking:

1) Can anybody advise what equipment i would need to set this up (thinking Canal Digital rather than Viasat unless reception is better for one rather than the other), the whole kit as we have nothing at the moment, and an idea on price?

2) Is there another way of getting hold of cards to view Danish TV?

I hope somebody is able to help and advise as we are currently struggling to watch Danish tv through the Internet and i am not far from chucking the TV and router out of the window!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

How Much?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
Thanks for that Rolf.

Based on that info i think we would definately go for the Canal Digital set up. I will have another word with the inlaws and see if they will help us out with a card!

So with regards to equipment what would i need to get for Canal Digital?

Cheers
Brad

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
Receiver wise you need something that can decrypt conax.

This can be either with a conax cam or a receiver that has it embedded such as the Technomate TM1500 Ci +.
at about £89.

It has a slot a slot for a CAM and another for a conax card.

This is just an example I know of.

Plus of course, a dish of the appropriate size, just guessing, 80-100cm size.

v9oly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S & 7020s. Technomate 9100 & 1500. Force frontier fixed, Raven 90 fixed, Triax 90 motorised dish. Diablo & dragon cams.
My Location
South West
The Technomate 1500 CI+ would be an excellent choice as it can do so much more. A multi-lnb setup (reading your other posts) will always be more expensive, but with an almost instant channel change...priceless!

Regards,
Ollie

How Much?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North England
Thanks Ollie and Robbo for the info.

So based on what you have said I have found the following:

A dish setup kit:
_http://www.wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=507

and the Technomate at the same place:
_http://www.wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_13&products_id=213

Both prices seem ok to me.

In regards to the Conax Cam thing, am i right in thinking this is some sort of decrypting card you put into a slot in the receiver and then you put the card from canal digital into that or can i put the card from canal digital into the CI slot of the machine as on reading your post it suggests the machine can directly decrypt the card. (sorry if i am being really dumb!!!)

Also one of my firends in Denmark said last night that i would have to be careful about the card and box being partnered or married to each other (probably the wrong terminology) but what does this mean? Can i only use a card from denmark in certain boxes?

Anyway if i was to purchase the above 2 kits and then a conax cam (if required) apart from the card from canal digital would that be all i need? It sounds easy but i bet it isn't?!?!?!

Ta
Brad

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If the receiver has conax embedded, like the technomate, then the card would just slot straight in.

Otherwise the receiver needs a CI slot to which the conax CAM would slide into, and the card into the CAM.

Regarding the need for a marrying the box to the card, I don't know the answer.

I can't see any refences to this on the card suppliers sites at all, on anywhere else.
Maybe they're talking about about Viasat which is NDS I believe.

Perhaps some local knowledge would be useful here, hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer on this.