computer

richard.willacy

Reaction score
:D intel pentium 4 computers, there are loads up for sale where i live, but AMD computers you just cant get
one for love of money,it makes you think is there somthing not right with intel, to tell you the truth i have had lots of things that dont work on my computer, and when it comes to building your own computer, at least you know what your putting in side your stack, what im going to do is take out all the new stuff i have put in,
like new lg mulit dvd drive+ new DDR2 333 memory + new radeon 9600xt graphices card+new 80GB HHD
and new cables, i dont think i would get much money for my intel p4 computer, and i could not put up with sombody coming back and saying it does not work right and i want my money back, you know that sort of
thing, its enough to send you mad with rage, i was just thinking has anybody els got a intel p4 and do
thay have trouble with there skystar2 card and progdvb software if thay do please do a thread about it,
i know the parts i want but which motherboard do i need, there is so many to choose from, like AMD 939
i did build my own computer a few years ago with my mate and if turnd out ok, but the only thing which gave me trouble was the cpu fan, i had to clip one end to the other onto the motherboard so the cpu fan
would stay on the processor, that part was very hard to do, is it the same sort of thing now, or has it all
changed over the years,
now you said somthing about onboard graphices, why not have onboard graphices,

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
richard.willacy said:
now you said somthing about onboard graphices, why not have onboard graphices,

That uses up your processors memory and resources..... a separate graphics card has its own memory these days 128Mb or 256Mb

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
Been using AMD CPU's for a long time now , but that was more down to cost than preference, the last Intel CPU I owned was a Celeron 500mhz which overclocked very well.
Things do seem a little harder these days in terms of building a new PC, with all the diff processors and ram, but thanks to the internet you've got more chance to read up on the stuff your going to buy and if it has any compatibilty issues.
I used to buy top end stuff for myself, but these days just get middle of the road perif's, apart from decent Ram and a decent HD.... the mobo I have been using for the last 2 years on my main PC is a cheapo (sub £25) mobo, that uses SDRam (Crucial 133mhz, 768mb, bought when ram prices where high, cost nearly £500) and my latest CPU is an AMD XP2200 and a 7200rpm 8mb cache HD, this said, my PC is equally as fast a my mates new Dell P4 (abiet he has less ram!).
Was lookin to upgrade Mobo/CPU/Ram (to DDR, poss' dual channel), but can't justify the cost, not only that my current setup is fast & reliable, would choose AMD (which one?) as heard mumbles of some P4's having problems with XP, if you want to ponder over a new mobo, take a look on http//.***.ebuyer.com, most mobo's are rated by buyers, this gives you a good idea of compatiblity issues... if any.

richard.willacy

Reaction score
need a good buying your computer link, AMD would do just great, i have not go the time to build one and if i did buy somthing which is not right and i end up wasting money her in doors will some what bloody kill me
so i thought i have to get somthing which is already built, all i have to do is pay and all is ok,

richard.willacy

Reaction score
does anybody know of a computer retailer which puts together a computer stack with all the things you need and then sells them to anybody whos got the cash, all i want is a new computer stack nothing els, any good
links for such a website, thanks

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Depends if you are willing to travel.
There's a good one on the outskirts of town here.

L.:)

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
what do you mean by stack?, if you mean custom build then there are loads but it will cost.
I paid to get custom.
Currently typing this on a dual core AMD4800+ laptop with NVidia 7800GTX, 2gig ram, 200gig HDD set in raid 0, with dual dvd-+ dual layer drives. All that on a laptop. So if you want custom be it laptop or desktop there are loads of builders waiting to take your cash. But it's gonna cost.

z

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
You should be able to configure your requirements online with companies like Mesh or Evesham. Leaving out what you don't need like speakers, screens etc.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, good point. Maybe even Dell.

I used to use Novatech to do just that, but they 'messed me about' once too often, and I had to write them a 'strongly-worded' letter 'O'-red

13echo4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fta lifetime ultra dn
2700 ird rom 10 dn
platium sub dn
My Location
usa
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes, good point. Maybe even Dell.

I used to use Novatech to do just that, but they 'messed me about' once too often, and I had to write them a 'strongly-worded' letter 'O'-red

Oh no. if they make me WRITE, they've had it. lol. call it the pen of death.:-bash

boxnut

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
turnkey 700mhz athelon .5gb ram,120 gb,drive
j-test j-tag setup
'the pen is mightier than the sword'
i prefer a complete turnkey system, have hade excelent luck with AMD brains,you can build up quite a good machine on a budget,
sugestion 1- shop and do your home work
2- know what you expect from the machine
3- great deals can be had on e-bay,but check the sellers rep.
cheers 'boxnut'

Captain Beer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
UEC 990 (Digital) PAS7/10
ElSat 350 (Analogue) ex PAS4
My Location
South Africa
I managed to build a decent system on a budget.

Got a decent case with 300w power supply.
MSI Socket 939 mobo.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1GB RAM
ATI x600 128MB PCIe
160GB Seagate SATA
LG DVD RAM
Creative 2.1 Speakers
Philips 150s LCD
Mecer Keyboard
Microsoft Optical Mouse
And because Africa gets hot I got 1x 120mm fan at the back and 4x 80mm in front. And a couple of nice blue light inside :D

All for about £600

That was about November last year.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Looks quite a tidy system Captain. Only one thought occurred to me as to whether the PSU may be a bit underrated. How does it perform?