My Satellite Setup
Twinhan DTV Sat-CI 1034
Raven 8ocm Dish
Moteck sg-2100A
(New)Technomate 1500CI
My Location
Netherton, West Midlands
Hi There,

Would someone be able to help in confirming and explaining in a little more detail, if I have set up my first motorised system correctly.

I have securely attached to a south facing wall my mounting pole which is vertical. I have attached the Motek SG-1200a motor with an elevation of 38 based on:

longitude = 52.49228
Latitude = 2.09158

I then have attached the Raven Aries 80 with LNB to the motor pole and set the Dish Bracket at 22.5

I then grabbed a compass and pointed the whole unit towards magnetic south? and away I went. The motor works perfectly by manually driving it on the computer and if select a satellite and press goto it goes... somewhere, but I don't quite know where. I do pick up some channels and some I don't

O.K please don't laugh - What is the declination angle, and am i nearly there or not?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You have it all pretty correct until you get to the "and away I went" bit. :)

You missed the bit where you drive the dish to Thor 1W using USALS, then using a meter or watching the signal strength and quality readings on the receiver, you move the whole assembly on the mast and the dish elevation until you get a good solid reading on the receiver for that satellite. You are best setting the transponder to the BBC World frequency 11325 H .

Once you have done that, lock up the bolts and your arc should be near perfect. :)

PS. the declination angle is the angle on the dish bracket, it defines the steepness of the arc.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
TheBozz said:
Hi There,
longitude = 52.49228
Latitude = 2.09158

Hi,

You mean your latitude =52.49338
and longitude = 2.09158.

You need to know which is which, because if you are going to use USALS you will need to enter them into the receiver.

The declination is the offset angle of the dish from the polar axis.
It determines the overall height of the arc.
The motor setting determines the steepness.

Robbo

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Surely the motor bracket adjustment only changes the elevation of the arc, whether high or low, the arc will stay at the same radius, adjusting the dish bracket will sharpen or flatten the arc.

http://home.alltel.net/nelpi/nelpageo.htm

PS. Sorry didn't notice the juxtaposition of the latitude and longitude. :)

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
I wonder if the O/P has his location as 2.1 degrees east instead of 2.1 degrees west? Also magnetic south is not the same as due south.
regards Parky.

TheBozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twinhan DTV Sat-CI 1034
Raven 8ocm Dish
Moteck sg-2100A
(New)Technomate 1500CI
My Location
Netherton, West Midlands
Hi Guys,

Rolfe I gave you some false Info:
Longitude = 52.4922
Latitude = -2.0914

After reading the thread:-
You missed the bit where you drive the dish to Thor 1W using USALS, then using a meter or watching the signal strength and quality readings on the receiver, you move the whole assembly on the mast and the dish elevation until you get a good solid reading on the receiver for that satellite. You are best setting the transponder to the BBC World frequency 11325 H .

I set it to Thor, scanned the transponder and Hey Presto, I then sent it off to Hotbird 13 degrees E and picked up 1011 TV and 386 Radio programs EXCELLENT.

Oh by the way it also helps if I enter the Latitude and Longitude into the Diseq settings within the program.... So I'm now a VERY Happy Bunny.

Thanks all for your superb help

I will hopefully speak to you again on the Program Forum shortly as I would like to use ProgDVB but can't seem to get it to run?

TheBozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twinhan DTV Sat-CI 1034
Raven 8ocm Dish
Moteck sg-2100A
(New)Technomate 1500CI
My Location
Netherton, West Midlands
S**T sorry done it again:

Latitude = 52.4922
Longitude = -2.0914