Confused about the dgree stuff!

malnik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None...yet
My Location
Bedfordshire, UK
So if i stand facing south...where are the south sats. I have the degree number but i thought that North was 0 degrees, south would be 180 degrees etc. 28 south is worked out how?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
It's 28 east because it is 28 degrees east of zero. I don't know why south is zero...

Are all sats above the equator? Can dishes turn through 360 degrees?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The satellites which we view are all geostationary over the equator. 0 is the Greenwhich Meridian, so Astra 28.2 East is 28.2 degrees East of the Greenwich Meridian, Thor 1 West one degree West of the Greenwich meridian and is sometimes shown as being 359 degrees.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
this might help,
the sats have to be above the equator to appear stationary

malnik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None...yet
My Location
Bedfordshire, UK
Ok...so when i looked at my compass and found North......found what i thought to be 28 south, it wasn't as its got nothing to do with where North is???...... So is there a link to somewhere that shows where i mmight be in relation to O meridian? And therefroe what sat did i pick up???? Dont ya just love this stuff!

Mal

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sat angles have nothing whatsoever to do with the directional measurements you use when you are out on the hills and map reading.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
malnik said:
Ok...so when i looked at my compass and found North......found what i thought to be 28 south, it wasn't as its got nothing to do with where North is???...... So is there a link to somewhere that shows where i mmight be in relation to O meridian? And therefroe what sat did i pick up???? Dont ya just love this stuff!

Mal

There are links splattered everywhere on the forum, not least in the Lnks section at the top of the page, look under info sites and you will find www.heavens-above.com and find your coordinates in the search engine. Then you can download the Swedish microwave calculator from www.smw.se , this is also mentioned in the links list and will give you the compass bearing for each satellite from your location.

pfloyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Starsat SR-X 550D Super
My Location
Varna, Bulgaria
@rolf
Hi mate,
I think I've come across your nick @toecuttersden, so I'll be asking you a favour cna you please give me the URL of the Den as I formated by mistake my HDD and lost everything on it .
Thanks in advance.
pfloyd

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
didn't toecutters shut down?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, still up and running, link in the big links section at the top of the forum.

malnik

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None...yet
My Location
Bedfordshire, UK
Ok..thanks for that...i think i've got it!!

Mal