confused by ds9 file,,,satkoos

ez_livin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I have just downloaded a ds9 file by satkoos and i am a little confused by the amount of eeprom files, How do I use them? The files that I usually find have only two files in them, The pic and the eeprom. Can you help at all....Also is there any advantage with buying a fun card!

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Usually it is possible to see what the files are intended for either from a readme packaged with the files, or else just by the filename.

In any event, "DS9 cards" only contain two chips (PIC and eeprom) so there are only two files needed for any given card. If there are more files in the set you downloaded, then they are simply variants of the PIC and/or the eeprom file - perhaps intended for different receivers or CAMs, or perhaps with differing keys in the eeprom file.

A funcard is based on a different (Atmel) chipset than the "DS9 card". Depending on the software you load, which receiver and/or CAM you use, and which providers you want to zap between, you may find that one works better than the other. I find, for example, that the DS9 card is less reliable in switching than the funcard, but faster (with my FreeCAM2 in an Echostar DVR7000).

And note: "DS9" (Deep Space 9) is actually the name of the software which is most popularly used with this particular type of card. The card itself is normally referred to as a Silver card, or a PIC2 card.

2old

ez_livin

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Too old....I have a humax 5400 which i patched with a planet hemp file 2000 (The latest) So the question is which would be the best card for this... At the moment i am using a silver card and ds9 files....would i recieve a greater amount of channels with a fun card or are there no advantages to speak of? Thanks for your time...

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
@mods: please relocate this thread to "cards & programmers" forum.

@ez_livin
I don't have a lot of experience with the Humax5400, but do know that the funcards give pretty-well maximum coverage. Which is better, I don't know.

Incidentally, a new version of the patched firmware for the Humax 5400 has just been released.
See here: http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2674

2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've certainly found the fun files better on my Hyundai and Freecam, even more so now that I'm using the mega161 Atmel cards. I've tried the DS9 files on silvers, but they don't seem to clear as many channels and as quickly as the fun cards, but this could just be a compatibility issue.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well you finally lost me with that reply PS. ????? ;)

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Rolf,

I felt I posted a dud because it seemed that 2old wanted to move the thread. I just had a general silver card query? Hence the other post.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK mate, it just seemed a bit enigmatic. :) I think that I'd already moved the post which probably added to the confusion.