Connect using a dial up modem greyed out in XP?!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I'm trying to set up a dial up connection here in case the broadband goes down, but when I try and set up a connection to the internet I am unable to select 'connect using a dial up modem' as it is greyed out:

DialUpError.JPG

I've been through the MS knowledge base and usenet groups and the two main causes of this seem to be services not running or missing registry entries – both of these seem to be ok on the system.

What's more the system did have a dial up connection before, when I installed windows about six months ago I put it on, but it is no longer present. It's not my system so I don't know when or why it disappeared, it was never used except to test it.

The system is XP Pro with SP2

The only things I can think of now are system restore, but I've just spent ages setting up scheduled tasks and doing general system tweaking so don't want to have to do that again, or getting a disk from another ISP that comes with it's own dialer and changing that for the ISP we want – telefonicanet. But that's messy and might not work anyway as bits of windows seem to be missing, so I'd rather get them back and set it up properly.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to get dial up connections back?

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello PM

Have you checked that your modem is installed correctly.

EITHER

"Control Panel - Phone and Modem Options -"

OR

"Right Click on MY COMPUTER in the Start Menu.

Select PROPERTIES

In Box that opens select DEVICE MANAGER

Open the Section for MODEMS by clicking on th +

Right Click on your Modem and select Properties"

THEN

Choose the Diagnostics Tab and Query Modem.

The response should confirm whether you System is 'seeing' the Modem.

If it is then sorry don't know what else to suggest, but I'm sure someone will.

Kind regards

W. Hole

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the reply W.H. yes, the modem is installed and recognised correctly. Sorry I should have said that in the original post. It sends and receives faxes and acts as a telephone answering machine. The telephone answering software is disabled when I try and set up the connection so nothing is hogging the modem.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I seem to remember something similar.

XP is right funny with modems sometimes. I have a feeling that once you get the connection wizard to see the modem correctly, it will give you the option.

I have a LAN connection to my adsl gateway, but a 33.6 3com modem on the 'client' box as backup, and it works OK. I get all the options in the wizard, but I couldn't get it to work with any 3com drivers (don't think I even found any? Supposed to be 'in XP' but could only find generic).

I used the Micro$oft one...

What have you got installed?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Thanks for the replies guys, I got it working in the end. A service I thought was running in fact wasn’t. O-no

Someone’s gone mad on the system disabling services, I’ve never seen a system with so many of them turned off.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Which service was it?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
It was one, or all of, remote access, connection manager, remote access auto connection manager or telephony. But I don't know which one, I restarted all of them, (they all seemed to be running before) then it stared to work.

DryCrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Varies based on service call
My Location
Four Corners, USA
Microsoft recommends fixing Telephony... but that is not always the problem. We have some very experienced technicians, and when this problem is discovered, we can seldom make a fix. The time lost trying is very costly.
The solution posted by PoloMint does not often work for us.

Those who have posted should know that ALL normal connections and fixes do not work... as far as detecting... connection wizard... diagnostics tab and query... or device manager... etc suggested above. The modem can be seen. It works. You get the correct responses in the control panel for modem... but the problem is Windows related... all is well until you reach the screen as posted by PostMint on 06/21/2005... to the problem has been going on for four years without anyone posting a reliable solution anywhere we have found.