connecting 2 dishes

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Prima Analogue at 19.2
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK
Hello I'm new here so I am sorry if this is posted elsewhere.
I have a sky dish at the front of my house pointed at 28.2 connected to my digibox so I can receive sky digital.At the back of my house I have a dish pointed at 19.2 so that I can receive analogue channels on my old pace prima.

I have read on the net that you can receive digital channels from the dish pointed at 19.2.

As the dish that is pointed at 19.2 is my old analogue system would I be able to connect it to my digibox to pick up the extra channels,so that i have the 28.2 and 19.2 dishes both connected to the digibox,but can still receive my analogue channels on the analogue system.Both boxes are in the same room.
Do we need a special connector at the back of the digibox and would we have to change the lnb on the analogue sat dish?
Thanks in advance for any help.

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK
Should I use a 0/12v switch?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi lefi,
yes you can but it is not that easy, the digiboxes are produced for S*y, and although you can add other channels, from other satellites, by going through the menu, they don't seem to be stored very well.
From what I've read, S*y boxes lose these newly added channels, so that they have to be re-entered, add to this that you will only get FTA, Free to Air channels, on the digibox and it might be worth considering getting a different receiver for this hobby.
At the moment the Technomate 1000 series are worth looking at, and can be picked up for £60-£100, if you also get a dual LNB, one with 2 separate outputs you can run a cable to your old analogue box and a new receiver.
If you want to try your 19E dish on your S*y box I came across this information for adding extra channels:
Start by selecting: Services, 4 (System Setup), 4 (Add Channels).
This will get you to a menu with five Items on it
From the top item on the menu (Frequency GHz): key in the 5 digits for the frequency, ignore the decimal point.
Use the down arrow to move to the H / V setting. Use the left / right arrows to set the correct polarity.
Dont alter the Symbol Rate and FEC unless you know you have to. (For most channels you won't have to).
Scroll down to the Find Channels option, and press "Select"
Choose your channel(s), scroll down to each one you want, and press the Yellow button.

Press "Sky" to get back to the main tv channels (or "Backup" if you want to add more channels).
Press "Services", 6 (Other Channels), then scroll up and down the list until you find the one you want, then press "Select" to watch or listen.
To get back to the main tv channels at any point, press "Sky"

Also you might want to read this thread on a similar subject:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/digital-systems/40624-astra-hotbird-through-sky-digibox.html

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK
Thanks for that.I have tried the add channels before just to see what would happen,I added some test channels and radio stations and I must admit I have only just removed them after about 2 years of them being on there.
I don't really fancy buying an extra box,I was just curious as to whether we could connect the 2 dishes to the digibox as I read that 19.2 carries foreign digital channels aswell as analogue.I just thought that if it is possible it would be worth a try,but I wasn't sure whether the lnb would be a problems it is on the old analgue dish.
I do have a quad lnb on my mini dish with 3 digiboxes attached to it,

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK
Hi,I have been and fetched a 1ghz satellte splitter 75 ohms.Is this the right one?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, you need 2Ghz + .

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK
Ok thanks.They were all 1ghz in the shop just with 2 or 4 connections on.I thought it was the right one.

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK
Will a DiSEqC-Switch as I ordered one yesterday?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
lefi said:
Will a DiSEqC-Switch as I ordered one yesterday?

Not on a sky box, only on a proper box... :)

lefi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Sky digibox at 28.2
My Location
UK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, I answered your point about the splitter without looking at the first post. Whilst that splitter is the correct bandwidth, a splitter will not work for what you want to do, as it will mean that the digibox picks up both satellites simultaneously, a basic A+B splitter, sat behind the digibox will do it, or you can use your diseqC switch, with the addition on a DiseqC generator.

You can buy a second hand digital receiver on ebay though, for the same amount of money and receive all of the FTA channels, rather than the few the Digibox will allow.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
lefi said:
Cheers thanks for that info.Would a freeview box work at all?I have bought another splitter but not sure it is a A/B splitter and probably won't work
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-Aerial-Satellite-Cable-Signal-Combiner-Splitter-Sky_W0QQitemZ230113774870QQcategoryZ4693QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a multiplexer thingy, it combines the TV aerial signals and the satellite signals into one single Coax cable, then you connect a diplexer at the other end to split them back into the TV aerial signals and the satellite signals...

But as rolfw, for the same amount as buying all the extra gubbins (like splitters, switches & whetever else) you can easilty get an FTA reciever that can pick up and store a lot more channels than a sky box is able to... :)