Connecting Dreambox Wirelessly

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi I know there has been a lot of discussion about this subject. I would like to know which is more stable a powerline ethernet adapter or a wireless access point? I have a wireless bt router Also if I was going the wireless access point route is all else I need a wireless access point or do I need a bridge also?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I've always found wired always out performs wireless, if I can plug it in without too much of a mess with cabling, then I will,

I have no experience with Ethernet over electrical power circuits, but there must be some loss of speed over regular cat5 Eathernet.
I have a wireless bt router Also if I was going the wireless access point route is all else I need a wireless access point or do I need a bridge also?
What are you trying to achieve?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I am trying to connect my dreambox to my router permanently but cannot run cables through the house!

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Also seen as your setup is practically identical to mine. Can I ask you off the topic about your 600.Heres my situation i find it a bit unstable in the sense that when i use dreamboxedit and change my favourites etc sometimes it tranfers data to box ok sometimes it dosent.Also if i make a mistake as in i transferred a file to box but never enabled permissions then i lost communication with box and the only way to regain communication was to reflash.Just wondering if you have experienced anything similar or if you know wheter this is likely to be something wrong wit my box or if this behaviour is normal for dreambox in general.If it is likely my box I would like to get replacement now before too much time passes? Thanks

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
erukus said:
I am trying to connect my dreambox to my router permanently but cannot run cables through the house!
You need to set up a bridge to do that, If you have a second wireless router then it can configured to act as a bridge, I think there is a tutorial here on the forum.

Have a look at this article for more info on Bridges/Access Points.
_http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1563991
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1563991

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
erukus said:
Also seen as your setup is practically identical to mine....................
I've not been having any trouble with general stability or comms etc, I've got it running the latest gemini image v4.3.

I have had a bit of trouble with DreamBox edit. Its not getting/putting the files on the box properly. DBE worked fine with the factory image on the dreambox but, once I flashed with Gemini 4.3 it seemed to stop handling the files properly.

I have notice HappyLLama has submitted a bug report on sourcforge. _http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1965301&group_id=227294&atid=1071480

In the options section on DBE what settings are you using for "File Paths on DreamBox" ?
e.g.
/var/tuxbox/config/enigma/

Have you been turning on/off the version3 settings button?

I've mostly been using Dreambox Control Centre which detects DM600 boxes until I figure out what the problem is with DreamBoxEdit and DM600/Gemini v4.3.

Dreambox Control Centre
_http://www.bernyr.de/

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
If it is likely my box I would like to get replacement now before too much time passes?
To me, it sounds more like a software problem than a hardware one so I wouldn't go replacing my box, Your just going to run into the same problems again. Have you tried loading on older image?

Just use DCC for a while to see if you have any problems.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
This is the file path /var/tuxbox/config/enigma/. I havent touch the version 3 settings button as far as i know im on sat reciever settings. Should i be touching that? Ya i tried older image seems to be working ok now! Have managed to stream from laptop to tv with vlc not using plugin just using guide found here.Thanks

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
erukus said:
Hi I know there has been a lot of discussion about this subject. I would like to know which is more stable a powerline ethernet adapter or a wireless access point? I have a wireless bt router Also if I was going the wireless access point route is all else I need a wireless access point or do I need a bridge also?

I've tried both. I use the connection for downloading software to a 7000S, uploading recorded movies to the PC and streaming video to the PC for watching programmes on the PC using VLC. A 11Mb/s powerline connection wasn't sufficiently fast to stream video to my PC but OK for downloading software to the box. I think this was partly down to the electrical wiring configuration in my house and partly because powerline devices are sensitive to other electronic equipment sharing the same mains socket (because of the interference generated by the equipment's switched mode power supply). Maybe you need to try an 85Mb/s device at least if not one of the latest 200Mb/s ones.

Wireless LAN (802.11g) via a wireless ethernet adaptor works fine in my set up over a ~8 metre distance and two solid walls but as I am in a house there is not much interference from nearby neighbours. Or to be more correct, it works fine for standard definition TV programmes. Streaming HD TV like the BBC HD or LuxeTV HD seems to require a higher bit rate than my wireless LAN can deliver. I can't be 100% sure of this as I don't have a proper HD Dreambox and I also had some issues with my CPU video processing power.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
The DreaboxEdit software dev project has gone open source, Development has been taken over by someone new and its been renamed to OpenDBedit.

I have yet to try the newer software, I will when I get home.

see attachement.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Cool have you tried using it yet? Also does anyone know if this product is up to par with the belkin gaming adapter for connecting wirelessly? linksys wireless xbox360 gaming adapter.Wireless-G.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I tried openDBedit last night and it worked a treat, I did a factory reset then rescanned the only bird I'm pointed at to clear out any files/settings that may have gotten messed up.

I had no problems loading and editing settings.

To get it working with your DM600, open the options panel, click version 3 settings button, then modify the paths so that any reference to enigma2 is changed to enigma. You should have the following.

/etc/enigma/

/etc/enigma/

/etc/tuxbox/

Click save,

Dream away:cool:

PS: sorry I'm not familiar with that device,

rexmundo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Dish with Motor.
DM600PVR
Gemini 430

Using Wireless bridge and
PopCornHour A-100
My Location
UK
Hi,
I also wanted to connect my DB600 to my wireless router and, my wife too had something to say about drilling holes to the newly decorated house, so I had to find a wireless way to do it.

I had a buffalo ethernet-wireless adapter that I bought for about £60 a few years back but it died within an instant of connecting it to the DB600.

I looked at powerline solutions but they are expensive.. £100 as a minimum and I know by reading other forums (network media tank forums) that they need pretty perfect wiring, otherwise you will get less speed than wireless.

I ended buying an edimax router that can function as an ethernet-wireless bridge. Got it for around £25 pounds (thats its usual price!). Works a treat and has 4-5 ports meaning u can convert to wireless up to 5 devices. I get quite good speeds. Enough to watch streaming content from the DB anywhere in the house. When I FTP I get 3 MBytes per second. its not the 8-10 you'll get with a proper cat cable bit it does the trick.
My wireless router is 54Mbps so maybe u can get better results with a pre-N router and bridge.

If you want to stream stuff from the PC its good enough for divX's... its just that software (VLC front end) thats crap... you cant really fast forward/rewind so I gave up on it. I also tried twonky and other Upnp AV servers but its just not good enough.
I just bought a popcornhour ($180) to play the divX's.. in fact it plays anything, including HD recordings...

Ideal scenario is (which is my next purchase) a NAS server. DB writes to the NAS, PC writes to the NAS, and popcorn plays it.

Oh and I used DBE with DB600 over wireless, no problem at all. (not tried OpenDBEdit)

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Hi can anyone tell me what the advantage of a wireless gaming adapter such as the belkin wireless G gaming adapter is over another standard wireless access point Many posts advise a wireless gaming adapter just wondering if they have something encorporated that makes them better quality?