Connecting Humax Foxsat to other satellites

ukrob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TF5000C1, Humax Foxsat
My Location
Essex, UK
Hi,

I just setup my new humax foxsat 320gb pvr. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I currently have 2 satellite dishes. One for freesat recetion and the other connecting to a Dutch Satellite system on Astra Satellietpositie: ASTRA 19,2 with Codering: SECA/IRDETO. Is there any possibility to connect my Topfield TF5000CI so I can record my Dutch programmes to the Humax. My thinking is that it won't be possible, but hoping it is!

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
Rob

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No it is not possible.

But a possibility is to use a Diseqc switch, connect your 19.2E dish to your Foxsat, and possibly with the right cam read your Dutch card.

ukrob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TF5000C1, Humax Foxsat
My Location
Essex, UK
Thanks for your reply. The Topfield receiver reads the Dutch card. Not sure what a Diseqc switch is, but I will look it up. Thanks again.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What is the package name?

ukrob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TF5000C1, Humax Foxsat
My Location
Essex, UK
I'm not sure of the package name, but it's teh basic channels from Canal Digitaal. _http://www.canaldigitaal.nl/
My wife is Dutch so we use a family address in Holland to offically get the package. It gives most of the Dutch channels plus free to air German channels and other languages.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Do you have a cam in the Topfield for the card?

ukrob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TF5000C1, Humax Foxsat
My Location
Essex, UK
Yes, matrix revolutions cam.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Ok, then

Put the CAM in to the HUmax, slide the card in, connect the 19E dish to it.

Go into non Freesat mode, go to the other satellites menu, select 19.2 E, possibly do a scan and you should be able to watch your channels. Then there's justthe disec switch to sort out, the Humax can control a Diseqc switch.

You might have to press the red green yellow blue green yellow blue sequence at some point, not sure about the current state of the humax software as I don't have one.

ukrob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TF5000C1, Humax Foxsat
My Location
Essex, UK
Thanks for your reply.

I put the CAM in the Humax as instructed and connected the other dish.
I did a factory reset and it found the other satellite signal. However, I can only go into non-freesat mode with the input 1 which is the freesat signal. It won't let me select the second input to go any further with a scan etc. Is this because I need the Diseqc switch?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That's correct. In non-Freesat mode only the first LNB input is used.

If you want to use multiple LNBs for different satellites a DiSeqc switch is needed. You should use 28E for the first port on the switch so it all still works in Freesat mode.

baldylocks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat HD
My Location
south cumbria
Hi Paul

Currently using 28.2 only for freesat (My first sat box) so are you saying My Humax will also work for hotbird if I get a "dual" pointing (? Is this correct?) LNB on a standard dish? Advice gratefully received

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You'd need either a multi-LNB holder with sufficient "spread " to get both 28E and 13E - which might mean having to re-align the dish to a bearing somewhere in between the two for best results.

Either that or use a separate dish for 13E and fit a DiSEqC switch so that the correct LNB is selected when you choose a Channel.

I have used my own Foxsat with a Motor and also with multiple LNBs/Dishes using DiSEqC switches, quite successfully. Very handy for getting HD Channels from 19.2E (and, currently, 9E) too.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
if a you have a zone 2 Sky minidish, you should be able to get away with having 28E and 13E on that, if you focus on Hotbird.

baldylocks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat HD
My Location
south cumbria
Ok thanks guys, this is very interesting.

Tivu - are you saying I will be able to get Discovery HD etc off 19.2e without going thru Sky if i put a motorised dish on ???

Robbo - Think mine is zone 1 - standard dish anyway? is this too small for hotbird as it is working fine on Astra?

Thanks in anticipation....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I should have specified Free To Air HD Channels - of which there is a growing number. My apologies!

_http://en.kingofsat.net/hdtv.php

baldylocks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat HD
My Location
south cumbria
Ahhh.... things are slowly becoming clearer to a very foggy mind....Thanks!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
baldylocks said:
Robbo - Think mine is zone 1 - standard dish anyway? is this too small for hotbird as it is working fine on Astra?

Thanks in anticipation....

I have had a zone 1 on Hotbird, with a 2nd LNB for 28E 'working' before now, but how well,I can't remember, as I had to hold the LNB, partly behind the main one. Not really something worth persuing as a permanent setup, but OK for a laugh.

baldylocks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat HD
My Location
south cumbria
Ok ta for the advice! Bit cold here to be standin on the roof with an LNB in one hand & frozen bits in the other - just hit -10C today!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
baldylocks said:
Ok ta for the advice! Bit cold here to be standin on the roof with an LNB in one hand & frozen bits in the other - just hit -10C today!

Suggest putting the frozen bits away and let them thaw out before they turn black and fall off :)

ukrob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TF5000C1, Humax Foxsat
My Location
Essex, UK
Hi,
I bought the Diseqc switch and connnected my Freesat LNB to the first port. I connected the Dutch satellite signal to port 2. However, when I set the Humax to non-freesat mode I still couldn't select another satellite to tune in the Dutch/German channels. I tried a factory reset and it recognised the Diseqc switch and tuned in the freesat channels. However, now I can't even select non-freesat mode anymore. Totally confused now. The Dutch decoder does have an LNB out and I wondered if it would be better to output from here to the Diseqc switch port 2. If that's the case I have to go and get another cable tomorrow. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Rob

PaulR said:
That's correct. In non-Freesat mode only the first LNB input is used.

If you want to use multiple LNBs for different satellites a DiSeqc switch is needed. You should use 28E for the first port on the switch so it all still works in Freesat mode.