Connecting my motorised dish to receiver

Ian_ExManchester

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello.

Just bought a 1.6metre motorised dish and wish to connect it correctly to the receiver I have (Strong 4375 digital)

The person who previously had the dish also gave me a "connexions antenna positioner cxp-6000" . I dont need this as the strong has an inbuilt positioner. I am confused about which wires to put where. The leads wires coming from the dish motor is connected to the now obsolete positioner in the following way -

Red - Motor Ground
Brown - Motor +36 volts
Yellow - Pot - 12 volts
White - Pot - armature
Green - Pot - Ground

The receiver has 6 selections to choose from . They are -
SEN
M2
M1 (both M2 and M1 are positioned next to each other and has "DC36V" written above them)
SKEW
GND
DC5 V

Can you help? which wires shall i use /not use. Hope you can solve this .........The user manual isnt much kop........

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't recognise the motor, so can't help with the connections, you would be better to have a look at the connections on the motor and see which cables are connected under the cover.

The connections would normally be 36v + and -, then sensor + and -

cossie0

Reaction score
M1 and M2 will be for the red and brown wire. It does not matter which way round these go. If the dish moves in the wrong direction just swap them over.

The skew is for a mechanical polorisor so if you have a universal LNB then this will not be used. If you do have a mechanical polorisor then put the Yellow wire in here.

The green wire will connect to GND

The white wire should go in DC5V

Ian_ExManchester

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
cossie0 said:
M1 and M2 will be for the red and brown wire. It does not matter which way round these go. If the dish moves in the wrong direction just swap them over.

The skew is for a mechanical polorisor so if you have a universal LNB then this will not be used. If you do have a mechanical polorisor then put the Yellow wire in here.

Thanks for the above. I tried initially to put the wires in as suggested and when I tried to set east and west limits, the dish moved a notch one way, then the other and "Check dish actuator" keeps popping up on the screen. The Strong manual is rubbish btw - not very helpful..............

so.................I used a positioner that came with the dish and can move the dish freely but Im not getting anything (moving dish bit by bit) -I kept one channel on screen but signal strength is zilch (I tried to position it in the vicinity of the 28.2E as there are astra channels pre-programmed)

Can anyone help? (Ive checked connections. Re the LNB - should one be able to rotate it 360 degrees or is that normal)

Failing that - anyone in the Chadderton/Manchester that could help?

cossie0

Reaction score
Maybe the receiver is not man enough to move a dish of that size especially if it is getting on a bit and has stiffened up. Failing that the receiver may not be receiving feedback pulses from the actuator.

Is the dish set up correctly elevation, declination etc. It is difficult to comment on the LNB without more details. Is it a universal?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
cossie0 said:

My Echostar is similar but....

M1 = brown
M2 = blue
Grnd = green
M Pulse = yellow

+5v connection is not used.

Ian_ExManchester

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The LNB is a universal C120.Ive fixed it into position

The motorised dish does move !!!!! - I used it with the positioner that came with it. The dish is sat on a (heavy) tripod which hasnt been adjusted from its original state.

I havent got a scooby doo what to do next.....................

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you tried Jimbo's conections?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
M pulse equates to sensor, or sen as it will be abbreviated.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
The motorised dish does move !!!!! - I used it with the positioner that came with it. The dish is sat on a (heavy) tripod which hasnt been adjusted from its original state.
You have moved the whole setup.
You dont say what you have done alignment wise.
Is the mouting pole vertically and is the dish pointing south when the dish is at the top of its arc?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
M pulse equates to sensor, or sen as it will be abbreviated.
Quite so Rolf. I would say in his case the DC5 and the skew would be used for a polarotator. (?spelling)

So M1, M2, Sen and Gnd connections should be fine.

Ian_ExManchester

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
BonceChops said:
You have moved the whole setup.
You dont say what you have done alignment wise.
Is the mouting pole vertically and is the dish pointing south when the dish is at the top of its arc?

This is the dish in question (you can see photos from all angles at the bottom of the below link) -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5715797016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I havent adjusted the tripod or midrift. I disconnected the dish from the stuff holding it and reconnected it.

Any feedback would be great as I'm frustrated as.......................

Cheers

cossie0

Reaction score
Nice dish but looking at that mount it looks like a strong breeze will have the dish blowing over. You will need to anchor it solid to the ground with NO movement whatsoever. The wind loading on a dish that size will be massive even in a moderate breeze.

Can I state the obvious? You need the dish aligned with the satellite arc. You need to take into account your location in degrees north and degrees west or east of the meridian line which goes through London when setting your dish angles. You need to set elevation and declination.

Do some google searches to get your exact position and search for information on dish setup. There is a wealth of information and you can become an expert in no time. Buy a satellite signal meter which also helps or use your receiver. I had to take mine outside with a portable TV when doing mine for the fine adjustments.

Hope that helps

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
cossie0 said:
Nice dish but looking at that mount it looks like a strong breeze will have the dish blowing over.
Yeah, that was the first and only thing that came into my head looking at the pics. I would strongly advise cutting it up for scrap any buying a really good strong groundstand bolted to the ground with some adjustable feet.

Ian_ExManchester

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
BGonaSTICK said:
Yeah, that was the first and only thing that came into my head looking at the pics. I would strongly advise cutting it up for scrap any buying a really good strong groundstand bolted to the ground with some adjustable feet.

thanks for your positive help.......not !!!!!!

After looking at various websites I have found
if I want to point my dish at 28.2E at my location (53.539N, -2.142), Id have to conform to the following -

Dish Azimuth (relative to true north) - 143.95
Dish Azimuth (relative to mag north) - 148.68
Dish Elevation - 22.89 degrees
Slant range - 39276.49
Polorisation tilt -20.47 deg
Polar mount main axis angle - 54.21 degrees
Polar mount dish offset tilt - 6.95 deg

Noe the thing is - i HAVENT GOT A CLUE HOW TO PUT THINGS RIGHT.

I rang up TPS satellites in Ashton and he said it could cost me anything between 100-200 to sort things out. When I said that I suspect that its an alignment issue , he said "maybe £80".
I would like to try myself before I resort to paying someone else but I dont know where to start - if you look at the photos below -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5715797016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

there a few bolts that can be adjusted - which ones should I fiddle with and which ones not.

Failing that - is there anyone in the Manchester area that could help me and not charge so much for their time.

Thanks

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Ian_ExManchester said:
thanks for your positive help.......not !!!!!!
Just my opinion. I'm not taking the P, just trying to save you some grief. A solid dish of that size requires a serious mounting. If you don't like my advice, you don't have to take it.

Ian_ExManchester

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
fair do's........................

The guy who had it last didnt have any probs - Ive got some concrete blocks from work so once Ive found the correct position it should be in - they'll be holding the tripod down. Its only gonna be short-term as I will be hopefully moving to Lincolnshire........where I'll have to set up shop again (not that shop has been opened ..............................yet)