Connecting with dreambox

dobblek

Reaction score
I'm having nightmares with my dreambox 7000. I've tried to network it but didnt get far. I've also tried connecting via the serial port but it never makes any connection. Press connect on the Dream Up software and nothing happens. I'm using a serial lead which I used to use on my Humax - I presume the lead is the same for the dreambox. All I want to is upload the Hydra soft. This thing is doing my head in.
The only time the network connection worked was when i first used it. I simply selected the upgrade option in the menu and it connected to the net and upgraded. After that it didnt want to do so again - presumably the netwoek settings also get messed upon upgrade. The upgrade wasnt a bag of laughs either. If I turned the system off fully (i.e not in sleep mode) I couldnt turn it back on again for the first 3 or 4 attempts. Then it decided to never turn back on. I got round this by doing a fresh re-boot. Anyway, sorry to keep going on.

I'm happy just to make a serial connection to begin with. Can anyone advise?

Cheers!

MacAddict

Reaction score
dobblek said:
I'm having nightmares with my dreambox 7000. I've tried to network it but didnt get far. I've also tried connecting via the serial port but it never makes any connection. Press connect on the Dream Up software and nothing happens. I'm using a serial lead which I used to use on my Humax - I presume the lead is the same for the dreambox. All I want to is upload the Hydra soft. This thing is doing my head in.
The only time the network connection worked was when i first used it. I simply selected the upgrade option in the menu and it connected to the net and upgraded. After that it didnt want to do so again - presumably the netwoek settings also get messed upon upgrade. The upgrade wasnt a bag of laughs either. If I turned the system off fully (i.e not in sleep mode) I couldnt turn it back on again for the first 3 or 4 attempts. Then it decided to never turn back on. I got round this by doing a fresh re-boot. Anyway, sorry to keep going on.

I'm happy just to make a serial connection to begin with. Can anyone advise?

Cheers!
ok , what 'image' are using now? did you manage to get hydra on? My prefered method of flashing is to use ftp and not any of these programs. read here for flashing and networking It also talks about the network connection. My feeling is that you dont know or have not assigned an IP to the dreambox, as you would need this if you want to ftp to it.

dobblek

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I've got 1.0.7 software in the box at the moment. No chance of getting hydra on. I set up the Ip address and netmask as per my computer network. What do I place into nameserver and gateway? I went through various instrctions on the net but still coulodnt connect. When i first got it i did get a software to change the chsnnels via the network but not since. I'll try again and see what happens.

Thanx

dobblek

Reaction score
I just found the Klona site on this forum and it looks like it has a good tutorial. I'll try that out tomorrow. I'm normally good on researching stuff but I just got fed up recently! Looks like I better get back to some hard graft.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your nameserver and gateway will be that of your router, or PC if you are using internet connection sharing. Mine is 192.168.0.1 which is my router address.

MacAddict

Reaction score
dobblek said:
I just found the Klona site on this forum and it looks like it has a good tutorial. I'll try that out tomorrow. I'm normally good on researching stuff but I just got fed up recently! Looks like I better get back to some hard graft.

hhm the link I posted was a direct link to the tutorial :confused

dobblek

Reaction score
MacAddict said:
hhm the link I posted was a direct link to the tutorial :confused
Sorry Mac, missed that! :) Working too hard!

Cheers, Rolf, as well.

Anyway I've got it sorted this evening. Going to stick the hydra software on it tomorrow. Looking at the null modem cable as well, the one on that site shows far more connections than the one I used to use on the Humax. The Humax works with just 2,3 and 5 connected.

The major problem with setting up the comms setup on the Dream box was the dodgy remote or receiver. While pressing the numbers it kept coming up with random numbers instead of the one pressed or then insert a second number. I also have the same when changing channels...the remote starts going freaky. I hope using hydra resolves this!