Connection confusion.........

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hi all,
I am perplexed and wondered if any of you bright sparks could help.....
I am adding a second satellite receiver to my existing receiver/freeview box/dvd player...........but I only have 3 scarts sockets on the back of my tv! I am a little confused as to how to hook it up to tv - I tried using a scart expander just now but these things confuse me as I tried putting both Freeview and satellite into one this expander and then the other end into AV2 - not surprisingly AV2 shows a load of mess on the screen as it had 2 signals coming through...........I knew that wouldnt work - but in that case what the heck are these scart expanders used for?!???
Any help would be appreciated.......sorry if this is boringly basic!!!
Nick

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
The scart expander you got is obviously for splitting one output to many inputs, while you want one that will combine many outputs to one input. For this to work, the scart 'expander' must be a switching one, so that it detects where the signal is coming from and automatically switches to that input, excluding the others. Otherwise, you get a mess on your screen as you have already discovered...

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
_stu_ said:
The scart expander you got is obviously for splitting one output to many inputs, while you want one that will combine many outputs to one input. For this to work, the scart 'expander' must be a switching one, so that it detects where the signal is coming from and automatically switches to that input, excluding the others. Otherwise, you get a mess on your screen as you have already discovered...

It actually works now - I turned off one of the boxes and it worked, and likewise with the other one.......is that what people generally do - for instance if 2 satellite receivers were going through it then you just simply keep one turned off and watch the other one and vice versa??
Thanks for input :)

Nick

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
Do your satellite receivers have RFin/Rfout? If yes then it's simple. You connect theTV aerial to RFin of the 1st sat receiver. You set the 1st receiver's UHF output to a frequency that is not occupied by any terrestrial station. You connect the RFout of the 1st sat receiver to the TV.