Connection Not working

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
Hi all my crossover cable finally arrived today and it doesnt seem to be working, ive looked at the FAQ's and stickys and they seem to talk about doing it with a null modem cable but i thought you go transfer files onto it using both?

Anyways i have the 500-s and ive gone into expert setup from the menu, ive typed in the following settings:

DHCP(box): Unticked
ip: 192.168.1.5
Netowrk mask 255.255.255.0
type: LAN
nameserver: 192.168.1.1 (same ip address as router)
gateway: 192.168.1.1 (same ip address as router)
Enable Network(box): Ticked
Port: 21 (ive also tried changing this to port 80 the default FTP port but nothing)

Next ive tried using dreamup, i type in the correct ip address and it says now turn on dreambox and so i do and the bar doesnt turn blue and it says it should do in the guide.

Next i try dreamboxedit, i type in ftp://192.168.1.5 and username is root and password is dreambox, it says connecting and then doesnt make a connection and brings back error.

that didnt work so i tried some ftp software, i tried ipswitch ws ftp, not sure if anybody is firmilular with it but i load the program up, in the address bar i type in the dreambox ip address: 192.168.1.5, i then type in the default username and password for the dream box and press the go button, again i get the following responce:

Connecting to 192.168.1.5:21
Connected to 192.168.1.5:21 in 0.000000 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
Error reading response from server.
Connection closed by remote host.
Host type (1): Automatic Detect

the dreambox is configured for port 21, ive also put it on port 80 and still nothing happens. When i connect the dreambox up to pc it detects the LAN connection but says limited or no connectivity, what am i doing wrong? or is it the fact im using a crossover ethernet cable to try and transfer instead of a null modem one? i persumed i can transfer with this but it dont seem to want to work, anybody help me get this set up because nothing is working here.

p.s the dreambox is connected directly into my laptop not via a router

thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
A null modem cable is only for flashing images e.g. with DreamUP. It only works for file transfer if you use a protocol such as PPP (I think; can't remember, might be CHAP).

The crossover cable will use TCP/ IP e.g. you will do it by IP address. The PC and Dreambox will need to be on the same IP range. I don't flashing using TCP/ IP but others use it OK. But it should work fine for FTP e.g. copying files from the PC to the dreambox; keep the port as 21 (this is an FTP port not an http port).

I suggest only using a null modem cable for image flashing using DreamUP. And perhaps modify the title of this thread so it mentions crossover cable?

Are the laptop and Dreambox on the same IP range e.g. laptop is 192.168.1.4?

Tried with the laptop firewall off?

Use ping as your test method:

START > run > cmd > ping 192.168.1.5

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
ok ive stored everything as it should be and no luck. the ip address is right 192.168.1.5 my routers ip address is 192.168.1.1 and the laptops ip address is 192.168.1.3.

i tried to ping it and it didnt work, however when set up a LAN connection and type in 192.168.1.5 and the right subnet mask and default gateway in it shows a connection, i ping that and it finds 192.168.1.5 but my internet connection cuts off. I tried ftp.192.168.1.5 and it wont bring it up i get no such folder exists.

Do i need to add something to the router? i dont use a firewall only the default windows one.

the nameservers and default gateway are just my routers ip address yeah? and the port is on port 21 for ftp.

ive connected everything in at the minute and its currently disabled in network connections, the second i enable the LAN my wireless internet connection shows its enabled but i cannot surf the internet so i have to disable the LAN connection, but as i say once i enable lan i can ping it but i cannot ftp it.

any more help is apprechiated

DeepDiver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vista- DreamBox 7020Si Nabilo Darkstar II -7025+ Black Hole 0.11 - DM8000 BlackHole 0.11
My Location
Mariana Trench - Pacific Ocean
As far as I understand, in the expert menu setup, you need to use an http port such as 80. 21 is a port for FTP protocol.
Next, make sure you setup the same ports in the Options menu of DreamboxEdit.
I would also enable the DHCP option in your router, and then assign IP numbers to each unit on you network.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok i need to do it via ftp because in dreamboxedit it says "ftp" so port 80 is no good, i try transfering with dreambox edit and it wont work. Ive been into my router settings and it wont show the dreambox's ip, i dont get it i connect the lan cable into my machine and the thing in the corner of the taskbar dont even come up anymore about lan connection.

for the computer downstairs i had to install the modem softwre and set it up and the ip got picked automatically, but with the dreambox i connect it and it doesnt show up. Ive connected it to my laptop not straight to the router as all im after doing is transfering files onto it, im not after an internet connection at the minute. thr actual dreambox doesnt go through my router it just goes to my laptop direct.

Ive managed to set a connection up and it says sucessfully connect to dreambox via http in dreamboxedit but when i try transfering something it says: Could not connect to Dreambox. Check IP Address, network settings and status of Dreambox.

ive check the settings and port number and nothing working, i think ive got the order in which im suppost to do things wrong or sumat.

this is starting to pee me off now

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I'm getting confused.

Are you able to:

1. setup the communication page as per The Guide.
2. connect the Dreambox to your router.
3. ping the Dreambox from your PC.

i dont use a firewall only the default windows one

Windows firewall is rubbish but more importantly have you turned it off and tried to connect to the Dreambox?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok ive set it up according to the guide, it is not conencted via my router, ive connected it directly into my laptop because my router is downstairs so im after transfering thing from the laptop onto it.

It says i can ping it once i enable the lan connection but then my wireless internet connection goes off but ftp still wont work, when i disable the lan connection via network connections on windows xp the wireless internet connection works and the http then doesnt, im not even sure if the http works, the dreamboxedit program just tells me it does although its not actually connected to the itnernet so what thats all about i dont know.

i did as the guide told me and i just keep getting no connection. I set a new connectiomn up on my router and put the dreambox's ip address and made the ip static but that didnt do nothing, again the dreambox doesnt actually go through the router it just connects to my laptop and at the minute im not after it needing to go through my router because im just after transfering files via the laptop.

im getting confused myself, im going to go through that guide again for the 10th time and see what happens.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I think the problem is because you are using a direct connection (and I don't think this is in The Guide).

It is because (and this is a guess) the laptop can only have one Ethernet connection e.g. to the Dreambox or wireless.

I don't know how to configure a laptop for both; have you configured ICS on the laptop (Internet Connection Sharing)?

The suggestion about connecting the Dreambox direct to the router was to work out where the problem is; if the PC can ping it then the problem is the laptop.

Anyone reading this use or used a crossover cable to connect a laptop to a Dreambox?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yeah it does ping once my internet connection is off, i can handle that though just for spending a few mins per 12 hours uploading keys but the thing is once it says http is sucessfully conected to dreambox it still wont let me transfer to it. and the ftp has never worked but tomorrow ill take it down to my router and try that out but nothing seems to be working direct from my laptop

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Yep I think that the problem is the lappie

I never connected that way, I use wireless system for all my computers but the box goes by cable to the router

This works fine, U can use any of the computers to get inside the box and do whatever U want to do.

If the box is (normally) connected via the router then U should keep it that way and connect the lappie to the router.

or go wireless :)

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok but to go wireless by doing this i need a wireless ethernet bridge yeah? i cannot just try what i am doing by plugging it into my laptop and using thats internet connection?

ethernet bridges are still expensive nevermind wireless ones lol, this what i need to do?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Have you tried as suggested: plug the Dreambox into the router for testing and to ID the laptop as the problem?

Have you googled ICS to see if it is relevant? And also how to configure a laptop to have a wired and wireless conenction at the same time?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
no i cannot use ICS, ive looked at it in the accessories menu within windows XP and its just about connecting the computer i am on to the internet via another computer, since the dreambox isnt a pc i cannt set it up for that im afraid.

I could probably do it for 2 connections at same time but as i say its only for doing it for computer im on to go via internet using another computer not other computers/devices gaining access to the net using this machine.

As for connecting directly to the router im going to try it soon

Curious123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600, DM800 and VU+Duo
My Location
UK
The only time I have connected my DM600 to the pc directly is when I have flashed a new image onto it and then it has been once with the null modem cable and once with a crossover cable. When I have wanted to transfer files have connected it to my router with a standard ethernet cable and used smartftp with its default settings. My dreambox is connected to the router all the time so I often use my laptop and its wireless card to transfer files or even flash an image across and never had any problems.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
thanks for the views curious, when i get chance ill connect it to my wireless router downstairs and try that smart ftp software, it would be better the dreambox being where the router is but it cannot be cos the router is in the hallway so looks like ill have to just take it down to transfer keys when needed

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Hey man :)

Redo the whole setup

Get all the computers to work wifi and put the router close to the dreambox, using a cable (safer, cheaper and better)

Then U do what U wanna do, using the wifinet (remember NO dhcp)

No need for no wifi bridge

Make it this way and U have everything U want, a pc to record movies or programs or a direct link from any pc to the box.

kebabinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500S
80cm dish
.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
i have the same problem when i connect to a laptop that also has a wireless connection - the wireless connection always stops working. i can still see the dreambox though. a problem i did find was that once the laptop was turned on and connected to the dreambox, i had to pull the power cord out of the dreambox, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in. this obvioulsy reboots the dreambox and then i can see it through the laptop.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
_http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=how+to+connect+two+PCs+with+a+crossover+cable&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

another option is to get a hub (very cheap) connect Dreambox to it, and create another network connection on the laptop. Haven't tried it or looked at it in detail but it's anothe rpossibility.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
i tried the steps for connecting 2 devices/computers via crossover cable and my wireless connection totally messed up, i eventually got it back after 20mins but i decided not to play around with it, ill try and take power lead out idea tomorrow when i have another play about with it.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Having read all these posts, nobody has suggested making the Dreambox connect to the router wirelessly using the Linksys device as explained in the Dreambox Wireless Networking How-To.

I think this would be one of the easiest routes to take in the long term, as the OP could then access their DB from any PC on the LAN.