Connections.........

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hey all,
I am having terrible trouble hooking up my Freeview box and I was wondering if any of you clever people could help me :)
I will tell you what I have....
Freeview box (with RF Loop, no modulator)
Satellite Receiver (not Sky, has 1 RF Out)
TV - 3 Scarts
The confusing part is that I have a wire going upstairs to an amp in the loft....then from the amp I has wires going to all bedrooms with signal.
I have read enough to understand that I need (apparently) an RF Modulator for the Freeview box to get the signal upstairs but I am unsure how to wire it all up - no matter what combination I try it just wont all work...........any help would be really grateful!!!
I need both Freeview and Satellite working upstairs, I am able to get satellite upstairs but no matter how many variables I try the Freeview just wont work in other rooms!?
Nick

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if it doesn't have an RF modulator, it doesn't matter which way around you connect it, it will not be seen upstairs. You can either buy a modulator connect to Freeview box and loop the signal through it, or probably just as cheap, get yourself a second Freeview box, they can be bought for less than £30.

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:
Well if it doesn't have an RF modulator, it doesn't matter which way around you connect it, it will not be seen upstairs. You can either buy a modulator connect to Freeview box and loop the signal through it, or probably just as cheap, get yourself a second Freeview box, they can be bought for less than £30.

So which wires go where....?

The satellite feed obviously goes into back of the satellite receiver. Then I have the freeview wire coming into house - should that go in back of freeview box first or satellite? Where does the modulator come into play?

More info for you....the satellite receiver has RF in and RF out and freeview as I said has RF in and RF loop - I am unsure where to fit in the modulator/wire going upstairs/wire going to tv??

Sorry for what you probably think are very simple questions!!!

Nick

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the modulator has a loopthrough, then it simply needs to be inserted before the cable goes upstairs, what modulator have you bought?

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:
If the modulator has a loopthrough, then it simply needs to be inserted before the cable goes upstairs, what modulator have you bought?

Not sure of the model but it was from Maplins and cost £29.99. has an RF in and out plus a scart.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, well you need to set the output channel to one that doesn't clash with anything else, channel 68 is normally relatively clear, and will do for a start, then connect it by scart to the freeview box, then put it in the loop for the upstairs cable. Then all you should have to do is tune in your upstairs TV.

PS. Is the Sky+ box fed upstairs as well?

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:
OK, well you need to set the output channel to one that doesn't clash with anything else, channel 68 is normally relatively clear, and will do for a start, then connect it by scart to the freeview box, then put it in the loop for the upstairs cable. Then all you should have to do is tune in your upstairs TV.

Thanks for all your help :)

Sky Plus box is going to be taken out as I no longer want Sky, so will be flogging that on eBay :D

Thanks again!

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:

How would I hook it all up then? Obviously satellite cable into sat. receiver and freeview cable into that box....I am confused about the rest though and at what point a lead will go through to tv RF in and also the modulator??

Thanks again for help!!!

Nick

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Was it all looped through the Sky+ box originally, using the RF 2 output to feed upstairs?

If you are watching both Freeview and satellite receiver via scart on the main TV, then you don't need to feed it with an RF signal, so just use the output from the last unit in the chain to feed upstairs.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Aerial into Freeview box, out of freeview box and into modulator, out of modulator and into satellite receiver, out of satellite receiver to upstairs TV.

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:
Was it all looped through the Sky+ box originally, using the RF 2 output to feed upstairs?

If you are watching both Freeview and satellite receiver via scart on the main TV, then you don't need to feed it with an RF signal, so just use the output from the last unit in the chain to feed upstairs.

Thats correct - with the Sky receiver I used the RF 2 output to feed upstairs!!!

I thought the TV had to be within the loop as well - for some reason I thought the tv needed both an RF and scart feed (god knows why I have always thought that!).

So, is below correct:

Satellite feed>satellite receiver
Freeview feed>freeview recorder
freeview RF Out>satellite RF In
Satellite RF Out>RF Modulator
RF Modulator>Feed to upstairs

Scarts:
Freeview recorder>RF Modulator
Freeview recorder>TV
Satellite Receiver>TV

I think above is correct, can you tell me? Also - wasnt sure if the RF Modulator needed to be in the loop for the RF part.....or if it just needed a scart connection??

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:
Aerial into Freeview box, out of freeview box and into modulator, out of modulator and into satellite receiver, out of satellite receiver to upstairs TV.

only just seen this after my other post, thanks buddy!

nickbrace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Plus, Orbit
My Location
Milton Keynes
rolfw said:

I have done exactly this but its not working - I am using a second satellite receiver now as well but that should only help things (Sky box with 2 RF outs - one for tv and one for upstairs).

I have done this:-

Aerial>freeview
Freeview>modulator
Modulator>satellite
satellite>satellite 2
satellite 2>tv and upstairs.

I cannot get Freeview on my tv (even downstairs where tv is) unless I use the AVI buttons on remote and hence using scarts.......it wont find the Freeview box from the channel buttons and the automatic channel search does not find the Freeview signal even though its going through the modulator?!!?!?

All I can think is there are 10 codes on the modulator which is lost on me!!! You either have then on or off, not sure if this might have something to do with it or something else.....else tips would be greatly appreciated??

Nick

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The DIP switches will determine the output frequency, have you not got the instructions? Try only connecting the output from the modulator on your downstairs TV (no other inoputs, not even TV aerial) and tuning, it is obviously clashing with something else..