Consider a Mac...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Having upgraded to the new Tiger Mac operating system - I will stick me neck out and let everyone know how great it really is.

Based on UNIX and with features like built in firewalls, true plug and play, RSS web feeds, Spotlight search - finds anything even within documents it really is quality. It comes complete with iTunes (ipod music), GarageBand (make your own music), Safari (Web browser), Mail (eMail), iMovie (digital movie maker), iDVD (DVD maker), iPhoto (picture library).

OS X (ten) has not had one virus, no need to run all the software I have to run at work to stop highjacked bookmarks, pop ups, virus scans...

iMovie and iDVD are the easiest programs you will ever use - drag-n-drop. i created a complete DVD with menus, slide shows in under three hours!

The new version of Safari (Mac web browser) has a 'Private Browsing' option. The mac mail client 'Mail' has a built in 'learning' junk mail filter.

My cousin, a life long PC user, who works in support bought a mini mac and loves it.

All I ask is that you give it a try if you can.

....Duck down and take the flak!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
How's that 19" VM Pro holding up under the weight of all the apples ??

L.

slayter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
1mtr Dish
Hear hear!!! totally agree. Running Tiger here and it's the nuts!!!

Doing everything I used to do on a PC to control my DB on my mac now.
Bliss.

Slayter

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I must admit am quite impressed with some of the new mac stuff (which is a big thing for me to admit) - especially with their laptops, amazing battery life and speedy too. If I had to buy a laptop now I would seriously consider a mac.

However for a desktop I don't see myself considering a mac for a very long time, it's not that the macs aren't good, they are, but with all the little bits of software and hardware that at the moment only work on pcs I would just get frustrated with a mac. This isn't such a problem with a laptop as most of the gadgets and things I have I wouldn't use on a laptop anyway. I'm sure that will change soon, but pc desktops are just so much more customisable than macs that it would need a lot to persuade me.

gerryl

Reaction score
as always over priced and over rated...graphics box...but do luv them ! always had one since 1987 and did work with the Apple 'Power Team' in the early 90's... around the same time Steve Jobbs fooked off and released a unix box call the 'NEXT' cost of about 20k it failed due to poor support from the 3rd party software vendors (adobe....etc)...and well well what turns up 10 years later a more polished version called OSX. still suffering from the same problems as OS 6,7,8,9...no mutil processing or threading and total reliant on 3rd party software!

as usual enjoy the updates and compatibility issues to come!...still look good but its...Horses for courses M8...:cool:

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
gerryl said:
no mutil processing or threading

Hi gerry

Have a dual processor Mac that's two years old - OS X has been multitasking and multi-processing since launch.

reliant on 3rd party software
- what about

iMovie
iDVD
iTunes
iPhoto
Garageband
Safari
iCal
Quicktime
Mail

to name a few

All included in OS X that is also included in the price of your computer.

From the only company that make their own hardware and software.

Let's not bother to mention viruses - as we don't have any!

Use Window's PCs at work and to anyone who hasn't tried a Mac they should - not everyone's cup-of-tea - bit like comparing Asti-Spumante and Champagne.

You can also run virtual PC for all the applications they don't bother to port to Macs.

Latest News... Macs are now moving over to Intel processors so may be more compatible - and OS X has been able to run on Intel since launch (according to Apple)

gerryl

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Latest News... Macs are now moving over to Intel processors so may be more compatible - and OS X has been able to run on Intel since launch (according to Apple)

Now ye see the power they keep promising !
:cool:

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
gerryl said:
Now ye see the power they keep promising !

Let's hope so...

The next version of OS X 'Leopard' is due out the same time as 'Longhorn' - let the fun begin...

end of 2006 or early 2007

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Do they now come with a PCMCIA port ?

That would be the time I look at them in a new light.

Being a dirty old man I already have a mac (a Quadra950 to be precise)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Now Michael Dell is think about it...

The founder and chairman of the No. 1 computer maker told Fortune magazine that he would be interested in becoming a switcher himself if the opportunity ever came up.

"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an e-mail.

_http://news.com.com/Dell+CEO+thinks+different+about+Apple/2100-1016_3-5749940.html?part=rss&tag=5749940&subj=news

P.S. You can't get a real aquarium in a PC case (see earlier post) - the 'Windows' let the water out - LOL

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Once again, Apple achieves scores that are far and away the highest for all vendors in our survey, earning Readers' Choices in both desktops and notebooks. For Apple, in both the desktop and notebook sections of the survey, every single score is significantly better than the industry average for Windows machines. No exceptions. Apple's overall score for desktops is 9.2, and the closest competing score, Alienware's, is 8.8. Apple's overall score for notebooks, 9.2, is just as high, and the rest are even further behind: IBM and Fujitsu are the closest, at 8.4.

Then the PC magazine has this to say - The company's scores are so high there's some concern that they can't be completely trusted: that Apple users are so passionate—almost fanatic—about the company and its products, they're not quite as objective as other computer owners.

Then this...Still, there's solid evidence that Apple computers may actually be worthy of devotion. There's little doubt, for instance, that the company builds unusually reliable products. What's that all about?

On the desktop side, readers say that Apple systems needed repairs only 11 percent of the time, an astonishing number when you consider that the closest competing score is Sony's at 16 percent. Just 17 percent of Apple notebooks needed repair—second to Averatec's 14 percent—but this is still amazingly low considering that no one else is under 20 percent.

Tempting as it may be to suspect that Apple owners are prone to exaggerate when asked subjective questions, they are much less likely to exaggerate the number of times a system needs repairs. "I have never had a problem with this unit," says Michael Wright, of his Apple PowerBook. "My only reason for contacting tech support was to set up my wireless network, and they even helped me set up my Windows desktop."

Nonetheless, we've heard from readers about problems related to the all-in-one design of the iMac G5. Looking at Apple desktop systems less than a year old, the iMacs (18 percent) were twice as likely to need repairs as PowerMacs (9 percent).

Apple does walk a thin line with its support, though, offering perhaps the stingiest terms of any of the vendors in our survey. If customers do call Apple for technical support, they're more likely to pay an extra fee. While some vendors offer a lifetime of toll-free telephone support, Apple's standard warranty affords only 90 days. The warranty protects against breakdown for only a year, and Apple fails to offer on-site service.

That's right: The company will not send someone to your home or office to repair your system. Your best option is to carry your system to one of the more than 100 Apple stores spread across the country.

Still, while we appreciate generous support and repair policies, it's even better to offer top quality products and services, as Apple has done.

Source: PC Mag .com

gerryl

Reaction score
...and now OSX runs on PC the box price has got ta fall (ta what it should be!)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Reprising its long-running "Think Different" ad campaign, Apple Computer paid tribute to civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks on its Web site this week.

The company devoted a good chunk of its home page to a black-and-white photo of Parks along with the company's signature tagline. Parks died Monday at age 92.

The company also posted a feature story on Parks and her many accomplishments.

Feature story...