Correcting dish (with motor) alignment.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
So I have a Moteck 2100 with a 85cm clear dish on it, that is slightly out of alignment. Either that or the technomate is confused, I suppose either is possible, but due to dish location and recent winds I am assuming its the dish.

Here is the thing, I can get 28.2, 19E fine with USAL/Diseqc positioning but if I crank it round to 1w or beyond its all slightly off, I have to nudge it back with the technomate manual adjustment (like its gone too far) then I get a strong signal again.

Current theory's:

1. Dish is off on all satellites, stronger signal on 28.2, 19e means it works?
  2. Dish is no longer on correct azimuth (up/down right) so arc tracks out of alignment?
  3. Dish has rotated on motor spindle, motor on pole, and whole lot is slightly out left/right but stronger signal on 28.2 means it does not have to be nudged?
  4. Something to do with motor supposedly knowing where the satellites are has gone wrong?
Anyone with a better knowledge than me suggest which angle of adjustment is likely to be out with the behaviour I am seeing?

Thanks for any help...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
It's quite possible the dish has rotated on the motor shaft or fixing pole.

With USALS, send the dish to your reference satellite and realign as per the guides. Whilst there check the pole is still plumb and the dish is centred on the motor. Also check longitude/latitude are entered correctly into the receiver positioning software. This has to be done at reference/zero.

raverbaby9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satcatcher Voyager 2
.80 dish
My Location
Northern Ireland
seems to be the problem i am having from the initial setup, getting 28,19 and 13....

just waiting on a good day to send the dish to 1west with usals, freeze it and go out and adjust the azimuth up a little, to see if it was missing the top of the arc

satelliteman, do you think this might be the problem because i get 3 satellites?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
raverbaby9 said:
satelliteman, do you think this might be the problem because i get 3 satellites?

Hard to say really; even if your dish is slightly off the arc, you'll probably still get a look in on those three as they are very strong birds.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks satalleliteman. I am pretty sure the pole is still plumb as it was put up by a top chap who know's his stuff :-worship so I suspect the dish may have slipped on the motor shaft. I know the receiver co-ords are correct as nothing has changed, but I will double check them in case its that simple. Reference sat is 1w same as raverbaby9 as I recall, which I believe needs a nudge to receive, so I suspect now you point it out that the dish is not true at 0 degrees. Will have to see if it rains all weekend...

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks satalleliteman. I am pretty sure the pole is still plumb as it was put up by a top chap who know's his stuff :-worship so I suspect the dish may have slipped on the motor shaft. I know the receiver co-ords are correct as nothing has changed, but I will double check them in case its that simple. Reference sat is 1w same as raverbaby9 as I recall, which I believe needs a nudge to receive, so I suspect now you point it out that the dish is not true at 0 degrees. Will have to see if it rains all weekend...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
OldBen said:

The dish might have slipped on the Motor shaft - but the more usual slippage is the entire motor/dish assembly slipping around the mount.

Fortunately that is easier to correct as the dish won't need to be partially demounted.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
OldBen said:

The dish might have slipped on the Motor shaft - but the more usual slippage is the entire motor/dish assembly slipping around the mount.

Fortunately that is easier to correct as the dish won't need to be partially demounted.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks, will check that as well. Don't intend to de-mount dish if at all possible, not a great fan of ladders (although I have suitably large sized one), just loosen off and tap it round.

Really must look again at those cheap DIY platforms!

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks, will check that as well. Don't intend to de-mount dish if at all possible, not a great fan of ladders (although I have suitably large sized one), just loosen off and tap it round.

Really must look again at those cheap DIY platforms!