Just Sharing This Could VM also lose some or all Discovery channels?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
I've been told that VM get their HD feeds by fibre and SD feeds via the satellite.

Can't remember if it was an SD or a HD channel that I was watching on VM last night, but the ticker advice for Sky customers appeared at the top (think it was Discovery Science).

I don't think that this has a HD variant, so perhaps this explains why the ticker is being shown to VM customers??

Could this mean that for technical reasons, as opposed to the Sky/Discovery dispute itself, that we will lose access to the SD Discovery channels from the 1st February??

Longer term, if something isn't sorted out, given that 70% of the Discovery audience is said to be via Sky, could we see the channels pulled due to not being financially viable?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Again ?

Seriously, there is no reason why SD content cannot be played on an HD channel. Other channels do it all the time.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
They get the feeds via a different set of satellites rather than from Astra 2 (where sky rents space on), so the cable versions shouldn't cut out due to a dispute with another provider...