chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
German pay-TV operator Premiere has won another victory against organised hackers.

The Hamburg district court has issued a temporary injunction against an importer of patchable free-to-air receivers which can be technically manipulated to illegally receive Premiere’s channels.

The company, Zehnder, has been threatened with fines of up to €250,000 or six months imprisonment if it continues to market the set-top-boxes. Zehnder’s boxes have an operating system containing a so-called emulator which simulates the presence of a smart card and therefore, in conjunction with available software, enables circumvention of Premiere’s encryption system. According to the Munich-based broadcaster, the receivers in question implemented preinstalled applications which were “clearly designed” to enable the illegal reception of Premiere’s programmes without a subscription.

At the same time, the judges ordered that all illegal receivers currently held by Zehnder be confiscated and given into legal custody for safe keeping. Additionally, the company must provide immediate details about the origin and operating software of the devices, their manufacturers, suppliers, prior owners, commercial buyers and the volume of receivers produced, supplied, delivered and ordered.

Premiere says it will take legal action against all those involved in the sale or purchase of the receivers. It is also preparing to claim damages against Zehnder and all involved in the retail of the boxes.

Source: Rapid TV News

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This potentially has very big implications Europe wide, not that long ago, receivers could not be bought with patches pre-installed, but there has been a tendency of late to sell them "ready to go" and hence open to legal action.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
So as long as the original image does not have the emu or keys in it's ok?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not saying that, but supplying it ready to roll is certainly asking for trouble.