mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Wanted: CT100 satellite cable with air dialectic (not foam- I have a roll of foam dialectic cable).

Has any one got some that they can spare? Lots of short lengths acceptable (> 35cm).

Also, where can rolls be bought from?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I remember you asking a while ago, but not for shortish lengths

I must throw away 20 - 30 m of offcuts each week, usually flyleads or lengths that have been replaced with solid stuff.

I will start collecting them and let you know when it reaches a courier type amount

Black, white or is colour immaterial ?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Longer lengths are also good :)

50cm black is the ideal size and colour but either colour would be appreciated if you can keep them until you have a box full and I'll pay for a courier.

Many thanks for your help :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't use CT100 I'm afraid, is this for HiFi patch leads?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes. There's a few people on the website with the "how to" who are having trouble finding air dialectic CT100 so I plan pass on what I can get.

I have seen a speaker cable recipe on another website that uses sat cable but haven't a chance to look at it yet (tnt-audio.com).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Someone has made them here, I remember reading the thread. :)

Does it have to be CT100, as there are a lot of similarly made cables.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The important part is the air cell dialectic (to enable a silver wire to be fed down it).

I know next to nothing about sat cable- are there other grades of cable that have an air dialectic?

Cable Spec - The cable chosen, CT100 is classed as 75 Ohm. This is its characteristic impedance to deliver maximum power when driven by a 75 Ohm source into a 75 Ohm load. In our audio interconnect application this is of no consequence as the impedance of the inputs it will be connected to are usually far higher than 75 Ohms.

Its capacitance is about 50pf per metre which is very good. It also has good screening because it is wrapped in overlapping copper foil (not aluminum foil), and has an overall copper braid. Therefore the conductivity of the screen is excellent. The core is solid but properly annealed and provided it is not continually bent to and fro is perfectly OK.

It also has what is called a semi-air spaced dielectric, the insulation between the conductor and screen has 5 open cells running the length of the cable. This is why it is low capacitance and it means that high audio frequencies will not be impeded in any way. In fact, CT100 is so technically appropriate we could simply attach phono plugs to either end and not bother with the rest of this article.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unless specified as foam dielectric, most of them use air gap dielectric.

PS. to Channel Hopper, have started saving mine now, as i can get 90p per kilo from the metal reclaimers, used to take it all down the tip.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
PS. to Channel Hopper, have started saving mine now, as i can get 90p per kilo from the metal reclaimers, used to take it all down the tip.

That's where I used to get the offcuts from, but for some reason it dried up.:)

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
the trouble with ct 100 nowadays is it is too rudy exspencive it went from £ 45 a drum 250 m to over £ 120 a drum in less than 6 months
a lot of aerial fitter have changed from ct 100 to wf 100 because of the cost

Gaza 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3Mtr Laser PF invacom .3 lnb and laser feed horn AD3000VAICP Cards Cams all the other Stuff
Annie 204 Spectrum
My Location
Fetihye S/w Turkey
I thought webro bought out raydex i seem to remember a distrubtor in the midland having lots of it ill try to dig out the invoice worth a look

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, they are all the same company now. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I now have a small box of the stuff I can post to you, just let me know where to send it .