Cult TV series The Prisoner set for comeback

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
Just read the following in satdude's satellite news :

A modern remake of the cult 1960s British drama The Prisoner is set to reappear on TV screens later next year. Sky One has asked ITV Productions to make a six-part series for transmission in spring 2007. The show is described by Sky as its "biggest ever drama commission" and has been reworked from the original scripts by Bill Gallagher (of Conviction and Clocking Off). Christopher Eccleston, who quit as Doctor Who after one season, is being tipped to star. New director of programmes Richard Woolfe said: "If Doctor Who set the standard, The Prisoner raises the bar. This series is a sophisticated, high-concept drama to rival anything on the terrestrials and the best of the US. It's our biggest drama commission ever and every penny will be evident on screen."

can't wait to see it happening :D
how about a guest role for Patrick McGoohan as number two ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds good, hope they don't bugger it up. :)

I'm sure McGoohan will be asked to at least play a cameo part, he is after all in his late 70s. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Oh dear!

Why remake The Prisoner? It's going to be much worse than the original.

Why not do something else, instead? Because, Sky wish to re-use the name, in order to "cash in" on it.

Dr Who "set the standard"? Quite so! The presence of some "sexy" actors used to be a Doctor Who "bonus". Now - thanks to unbelievably bad scripts - it's the only reason for watching at all.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
well, having seen the original series some 10 times by now, I wouldn't mind if they made an extension to it.
the new series might be crap, or it might be brilliant, we'll just have to wait and see. Christopher Eccleston would make a great number six, I really liked his Dr Who performance, giving it the right mix of seriousness and sillyness only Tom Baker was capable of. Jellybaby ? :p

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Why don't The Beeb and Sky get together - to save some money! - and make "Dr Who in The Village" .........

Oh my giddy aunt ..........

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I bought The Prisoner on DVD around four years ago from America, long before it was released on DVD, or considered for re-screening on UK TV.

I don't know what it is with the UK, but they're not so keen to pick up on TV gems. I even had to buy the classic 1980 series, Hammer House of Horror, on DVD from the States in 2002, long before anyone in the UK decided on a release here.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Prisoner has been reshown at various times on terrestrial. I taped it onto video in the mid 1980's (Possibly off C4 - havent watched it for years)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Sorry, I meant its release on DVD. ;)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Well we must have at least one different opinion as I hope the remake is a lot better than the original, as I always thought that the original was well over-rated and a bit silly.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
I wonder if they'll use the same Welsh village. If so, then what is a point of a remake?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Saturlight said:
I wonder if they'll use the same Welsh village. If so, then what is a point of a remake?

So that it won't be as silly as the original.:-rofl2

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Portmeirion is a magical place, stay there for a weekend :).
The only thing thats going to spoil it is that talentless chancer who gave up after only one series of Dr.Who.

So no opinion either way really:D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Do you think they'll bring back that big bubblegum, Rover? LOL :D

Lancelot, that pic of the village, is it the end title sequence as the jail gate falls?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Think so from memory. :)
Image Google for Portmeirion.

L.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
spiney said:
Why don't The Beeb and Sky get together - to save some money! - and make "Dr Who in The Village" .........

Oh my giddy aunt ..........

LOL. I missed that gem of wisdom, mate. LOL. :D