chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
We’ve heard plenty of stories about the main retailers telling consumers in-store misleading and inaccurate information on the new Freesat service, but Currys have gone one further by publishing a product on their site that we just couldn’t ignore.

Currys have made available (albeit ‘out of stock’) an installation package for £79.99 plus £6.99 delivery. Fair enough you might think, but its what the package is and suggests that really got us started.

It seems that the package does not include a dish, LNB or cable; they simply come out and plug the existing cables into the Freesat Digital Box for you, as if thats so hard to do yourself. So what are you paying £79.99 for? Very little it would seem! All retaillers are meant to be offering a installation service, this isn’t one and hopefully Freesat are taking note.

Also, they make mention to you needing a Sky Digital dish; sure Freesat won’t be too happy about that, not apart from the fact there’s no such thing as a Sky Digital dish, merely a dish suitable for receiving channels through the Sky Digital platform.

Source: Joinfreesat

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there is also another dimension to this story, as there are reports from forum members on a couple of other forums, that Currys staff have not been permitting customers to buy a Freesat box, unless they take the installation package, even when they have an existing working dish.

In some cases, customers have been advised that their existing Sky dish would not work with Freesat and others, that they are not permitted to touch the connection between satellite dish and receiver, it must be done by "a qualified Sky engineer".

Just goes to show how little the sales staff in these multiple retailers know about their products, or perhaps more sinister, how little the retailers' management are concerned with fair trading.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
This leads me to the question, will I be able to go to retailer and buy a freesat HD receiver when I pop over to the UK for a couple of days at the end of June?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, providing they have stock and providing it isn't Currys. :-lmao

You could always try one of our supporting advertisers, if they have stock, I'm sure they would send to the Netherlands.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The information presented on the Currys website says nothing of the sort.
The Tech Guys standard Freesat installation is suitable for a standard or high definition set top box (purchased separately), where an existing satellite dish isn't available. The installation will include one supplied satellite dish, wall bracket and single LNB at a height below the gutter level of a property up to 3 storeys high. It also includes supply and install of CAI approved coaxial cable and one F-type connector at each end of the cable to connect dish and receiver. The coaxial cables are secured to the dish and wall using cable clips, ties and tape.

• Freesat dish and installation
  • Installation of cables and box connector
  • Suitable for standard & high definition
  • CAI approved dish and cable installation
  • For property up to 3 storeys high

• Single LNB dish included
  • 12 month guarantee
  • Freesat box/ SCART/ HDMI sold separately
  • Not suitable for PVR boxes
_http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0740980768.1211877918@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadeeeligjgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=174387&category_oid=

joinfreesat seem to be providing out of date/misleading information.:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
They changed that in the light of the web article Robbo, but they seem to have been carrying on with the other sharp practices to this date.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rolfw said:
They changed that in the light of the web article Robbo, but they seem to have been carrying on with the other sharp practices to this date.

Mmm yes, it seems like they try to get away with what they can.:-Nooo Until someone has a go. Yes I read somewhere else that in some Currys stores they were refusing to supply boxes unless the install fee was paid. I know where I won't be buying a Freesat box from.:cool:

wildebed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD
My Location
NE UK
cjgall said:
This leads me to the question, will I be able to go to retailer and buy a freesat HD receiver when I pop over to the UK for a couple of days at the end of June?

I wonder if it would be cheaper for you to buy another HD receiver in Europe - that would be more versatile

diapason

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Lifetime Classic (non Sky) with 65 cm dish which was originally used for an old Nokia Sat 800 Analogue Box.
My Location
Paisley (Scotland)
Back after a few weeks absence - I'm sticking to my TEchnomate 1000D Super and I can get everything Freesat can get with the exception of Channel 5 but I get that on Freeview anyway. The added bonus is that I can get all the BBC and ITV regions in the UK which I don't think I could get using a Freesat box - so no sale!!

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
BBC Radio 4 did a piece this morning on "You and Yours" concerning this story about Currys. Their management said that were going to educate their staff on the matter. We shall see.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
wildebed said:
I wonder if it would be cheaper for you to buy another HD receiver in Europe - that would be more versatile

As I will be in the UK visiting family anyway so there are no extra costs.

There are several reasons why I will buy an official freesat box.

• Compatibility, I don't want to mess about manually rescanning after each freesat change or have to wait for the firmware upgrades to become available.
  • Future proof.
  • I use the red button interactive services.
  • EPG, UK TV listing magazines are is quite expensive abroad. I know I can get listing online3 but I find the EPG very useful.
  • Auto-view to trigger my Hard Disk-DVD recorder.
  • The ethernet port looks promising although it will probably not work from abroad unless the broadband router is connected to a proxy server in the UK
I will retain my Topfield PVR for versatility for the time being but will eventually replace this with a HD-PVR version.

mickc

Reaction score
cjgall, I think you are absolutely right.
An official freesat box is essential,you only have to look at how "sky" perform they are continually updating.If you have a what I would term a "bog standard" satellite reciever(make immaterial) it doesn't recieve updates.
It would appear this is obviously another way of making their product unique.
Personally,I will hang on a bit and limp along with my old "grundig" sky box until they have all programmes sorted out,NO channel 5 available yet so that's my reason for waiting.I just get on lyngsat/kingosat/flysat etc and check for updates periodically.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Its HD that clinched it for me, I can live without five for the time being. I could keep a sky box for updating the sky card and continue to use my dragon/topfield combination for five I suppose.

What is needed is a freesat HD-PVR with twin tuner that supports Diseqc and allows you to easily add differtent satellite positions and channels without screwing up the freesat EPG and interactive stuff. Maybe the forthcoming Humax will fit the bill?

In case somebody is thinking of asking why I don't wait for the the PVR to come out the answer is simple. I just can't wait to see my HD ready TV in action.

mickc

Reaction score
cjgall said:
Its HD that clinched it for me, I can live without five for the time being. I could keep a sky box for updating the sky card and continue to use my dragon/topfield combination for five I suppose.

What is needed is a freesat HD-PVR with twin tuner that supports Diseqc and allows you to easily add differtent satellite positions and channels without screwing up the freesat EPG and interactive stuff. Maybe the forthcoming Humax will fit the bill?

In case somebody is thinking of asking why I don't wait for the the PVR to come out the answer is simple. I just can't wait to see my HD ready TV in action.
Please remember the old adage "Patience is a virtue";)

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
mickc said:
Please remember the old adage "Patience is a virtue";)

You are right of course.:)

steveL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 dishes - one for sky and the other for German TV on Astra 19
My Location
stockport
Bought mine from Argos without any pressure to have dish etc. Ran a cable from son's bedroom to the sat dish - which has an LNB with spare connection from Sky Multiroom and it worked first time. Really quick to set up .. no fuss.