Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The famous 19th Century ship the Cutty Sark is "100%" ablaze, the London Fire Brigade has said.
An area around the 138-year-old tea clipper is being evacuated amid fears gas cylinders onboard could explode.

Greenwich town centre in south-east London has been closed to traffic and the Docklands Light Railway shut.

The ship is currently closed to visitors while a £25m renovation is carried out. Eight fire engines have been sent to tackle the fire.

Speaking to BBC News the Chief Executive of the Cutty Sark Trust, Richard Doughty, said the fire brigade told him they were treating the fire as suspicious.

Full story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
From the pics on the breakfast news she was well alight :(

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
One of Britain's best known tourist attractions and possibly the most famous ship in the world, the Cutty Sark, is being consumed by a huge fire. I think its most famous as a landmark in the London Marathon.

It is said to be completely ablaze and eight fire engines are at the scene in Greenwich, south-east London.

I drive past the Cutty Sark every morning and night and this is onne hell of a tragic loss.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Just saw it on the news.
Going through a £25M refit at the mo and 50% of the interior was removed beforehand.
Hope the superstructure holds.

L.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well as L says, at least most of the cabin superstructure, decking and masts were away in storage or being renovated, so at least it is guaranteed not to be a total loss.

I find it strange, like many others, that there was no security on it, a buliding of similar historic value would surely not be left unattended?

Correction . . . . . .

Apparently there was manned security and CCTV. :)

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Read that the fire is suspicious...don't understand why anyone would do that...such a wonderful bit of history, hope she survives.