Cyrillic Alphabet (Russian)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Can someone please tell me if it is possible to type the Cyrillic Alphabet with Windows XP, or would I be better off getting a special key-board ?

elgin eagle

Reaction score
right click on language bar in bottom rh corner

choose settings

choose add

select russian

make it default

away you go!
( i only know because my wife is russian!)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi Eagle man, thanks for your reply. Did as you said and the Cyrillic Alpabet appeared but when I come to typing out a word in Russian the letters don't match up (well for me anyway)
i.e. English A comes out as Russian F
" B " " " " E
" C " " " " S
" D " " " " B

Is there anyway to see a Russian type key-board on screen while typing ?
Can your wife type proper Russian letters and documents using this system ?

I will type something out in Russian from our local paper:-
Ршыещкшфты акщь Тщкер Ыешаащкв фку иуштп сфддув ещ рудз зкщмшву штащкьфешщт

This should read:- Historians from North Stifford are being called to help provide information...

As your wife will say this is nonsense, how can I make some sense of this. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
We have a set of stickers on the keyboard with the right letters

But if you want to save money , borrow an indelible pen

Cheap and cheerful , I can also make a mean Scottish omelette

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Good try CH, but there are 33 letters in the Russian alphabet and only 26 in ours, how do you show the other 7 letters. :confused

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Russian language can be accomodated on the standard keyboard by using the other characters to the right of the letters

Switching between UK and Cyrillic using the CTRL/ALT as necessary

Alternatively - learn to make up words without the six missing letters ?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
I like that idea CH, about making up words without the missing 7 letters. O-Ha
Have just been on E-Bay and they have Russian Cyrillic Computer Keyboards up for sale, starting at about £13 buy now for £15, have to think about it.
Now all I need is a Scottish Omelette :)

elgin eagle

Reaction score
Hi Rob,

Sveta has just written the Russian characters in indelible pen underneath the english letters on the keyboard. The missing characters are to be found to the right of the english letters. you don't need a new keyboard unless you only want russian characters.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Yep got it now, thanks CH & elgin eagle. Eagle check your private messages, something in their you might find useful. :cool:

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
see rob, the chinese character set has a minimum of 3000 characters, and they are typed using a tradition QWERTY keyboard. using 2 or more keys combination to give a total of 65000 characters.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Have no trouble typing in Chinese dragonfly, piece of cake that is. Can do it with my eyes closed, :rolleyes: but Russian nothing but trouble, wonder if they do a Russian spell-check ? :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Rob said:
wonder if they do a Russian spell-check ? :D

Thats what the other half is for

(problem is she finds fault in a lot more than spelling)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
@ CH & Elgin Eagle.
Have just come across a couple of problems which I believe you might be able to help me with.
When I typed out the Cyrillic alphabet onto an e-mail it came out just fine, but when I sent the message all the Cyrillic symbols were replaced by question marks so it ended up as ??????? ?????? ?? ????
Also I am having trouble in that when typing out the English alphabet it keeps switching over to the Cyrillic alphabet.
One bit of good news, I brought the Cyrillic keyboard from E-Bay for £12.95, I was the only bidder, but I have not received it yet.
This is my present to myself for not smoking for four months now. :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:
Thats what the other half is for

(problem is she finds fault in a lot more than spelling)

Yes, they do say that a married man should always forget his faults and mistakes, as there is no point in two people remembering them. ;)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Привет.Как вам нравится мой русский.Только одна проблема: не могу отправить

электронную почту.

This means that after receiving my Cyrillic keyboard I can type it but when I try to send it as e-mail it still comes out as ???? ??? ??????

I know I am so close yet there is still something missing, but what ?

@ CH. Believe it or not, there is a Russian Spell-check.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Can you see the email in Cyrillic before you send it?

What email program are you using to send?

If you send an email to yourself does it come back as ???? ?

If you get it back as ???? it means the problem isn’t a of lack of language packs or something else with the receiver, but your email program or server is not handling the Cyrillic properly. You could try a different email program or try sending an email from hotmail or another webmail account to narrow down the problem a bit.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Hi PM, yes I can see it on the e-mail form before I send it.

I am using Incredimail, MSN Hotmail, & Mailblocks.

And yes if I send am e-mail to myself it comes as ??? ???

Tried sending from one webmail account to another but came back as & (hash sign) 1049; & (hash sign) 1062; & 1059 etc, etc.

It's making my hair fall out PM.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Well that’s strange. I copied your text and pasted it into an email.

Gmail to Gmail it comes out fine.

Gmail to Hotmail it arrives fine, but when if I try and forward it is turned into
>Привет.Как вам нравится мой русский.Только одна про etc etc
in the composition window, however it arrives as Привет.Как
вам etc etc

However that is your Russian script, it is the character code for it. For example &#1055 will equal one of the Russian characters, it is just the webmail client or web browser not interpreting it properly. There are also ways to convert the &#1055 into actual characters, for example if you paste them here the forum turns it into Russian for you. For example ;риве that was entered as ; &#1088 ; &#1080 ; &#1074 ; &#1077 (with no spaces)

So that means emails that arrive as &#1088 etc are being sent correctly, just for some reason not being displayed, even if the character set is present. Have you tried sending to a hotmail address, as that worked for me?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Yes I have tried that; I have just sent an e-mail from Opera web-mail to MSN Hotmail and it came out as & (HASH) 1049; etc, etc.
Have to forgive me Polomint but I cannot find the hash key on this new keyboard.
Must go the boss is calling ! ^-J

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I’ve been looking into this again.

It seems that when an email arrives as #456; etc it may be because it has been sent in iso-8859-1 format (the way characters are encdoded) and should have been sent in UTF-8 or a yet more universal format. But if you are sending from webmail accounts there is not much you can do, most wont let you change the way (or be able to let you change the way) an email is encoded.

However if you have a email program such as outlook, outlook express or another one there are things that you could try.

There should be a send option in the mail program (for example under tools>options>send, or something like that) and most mail programs will send an email in what is known as "UUEncode" you want to change that to "MIME". This will make your email program send a header on the email with the character set used, you wont see this, but the receiving email program will read it and process the email accordingly (hopefully by showing it properly). Nothing needs to be changed on the receiving program.

Also try sending the email in plain text only, as Rich Text Format and HTML just add another layer of complication and confusion.

If you can’t find these options, or it is unclear what to do, or you have to use a webmail service, you could try writing an email in notepad and saving it as a text file, then attaching it to the email. Depend on how the mail program handles text attachments, it could be sent correctly.

I found this page http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/index_en.htm which seems to have quite a bit on info on Cyrillic, but I haven’t gone through it all so there might be something useful there.