Damaged Down Lead

JCG

Reaction score
Just Had Sky + Installed, I have 3 co axails coming from attic to main sitting room. Sky + needs 2 of these, but the 3rd one (which I had hoped to use to distribute the sky signal around the house ) is damaged, and can't be replaced. Sky+ is working fine, but any ideas out there how to get the RF out signal back to the attic for distribution.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Why the attic for distribution? Do you have a splitter in the attic?

If not, why not use a 'video sender' to distribute the signal.

Not sure if Sky+ will allow you to do this - someone here will know the answer.

JCG

Reaction score
Sorry, should have mentioned, i have an 8 way splitter in the attic

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just use a Diplexer on one of the satellite downleads, then separate it up in the loft. You do of course need a reasonable satellite signal, as the diplexers do have an insertion loss. _http://www.tvlink.co.uk/diplexer.htm

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you cable is damaged, but it is complete, then you can use it to pull through a new cable.

What's wrong with it?

Do you know?

JCG

Reaction score
I asked the guy's at MK electric tech support about using diplexers, they said that they cannot be used on Sky+ as the signal would be oscillating, and would cause problems when recording, the cable is reading zero ohms between centre core and screen, it is not a straight run to the attic, it is run thru fllooring joists then up stud walls to attic

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, but MK electric are wrong. :) You don't diplex the two satellite signals, you diplex the downward satellite signal with the upward rf output from the Sky+ box, no problem at all, works every time.

JCG

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied, I think I have found a solution to my problem.
Can anybody please tell me how to connect my original Sky Digibox to this system, and can I control both the SKy+ and the Sky Digbox from another room using a TvLink
attachment.php

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, that's the way to do it. :)

JCG

Reaction score
Thanks Rolf,

The system in the diagram will control the main Sky+ unit in the sitting rm,
I'm not sure how to connect my original Sky Digi Box ( now installed in the kitchen ) into this setup so as to feed its output to the other rooms also.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Global do a unit for this, but ideally the second unit either needs to be in the same room, or in line between the main unit and the loftbox. For viewing only (no control), just run up a separate cbale and use the camera input.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
rolfw said:
Just use a Diplexer on one of the satellite downleads, then separate it up in the loft. You do of course need a reasonable satellite signal, as the diplexers do have an insertion loss. _http://www.tvlink.co.uk/diplexer.htm

How much signal loss do you get on one of those Rolf?