Data Channels

mick32

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle
any idea what the data channels are for on my sat list,,currently runnin a ss2 with a p4 3,,,is there a use for them,,and if so what and how,.....many thanks

Mick

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Most of the Data streams contain textual information and interactive services for various providers (like the sky EPG and red button services)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They are exactly that, transmitted data from satellite ISPs, companies and other sources, much of it is useless unless you know what is being transmitted.

mick32

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle
thanks for the replies folks,,was worried incase i was missing out on something...lol...could get into this sat thing in a big way,,,im hooked after 2 months ....haha

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
mick32 said:
was worried incase i was missing out on something.
It is possible to receive the satellite internet data from some satellites. Capturing the files to your hard drive. Though I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, as I see it its illegal, however the fact that some services are unencrypted and broadcast via satellite could be interpreted as acceptable just like watching an FTA tv channel really.

Also you obviously have no control over what you are receiving. Which is pointless because you may as well go and look around the web yourself.