so far this is whats tickling my fancy:

Force D-Master 516S-CV
90cm Triax Dish
Cryptik Digital H-H Mount V-bracket
Sharp 0.6 Universal LNB
Orbital Tripod Wall Mount
Installation Kit (leads plugs and satfinder

Will this system be all I need or am I missing a vital bit of kit
  • Also will I still be able to recive Sky digi (using the LNB loopthrough for second receiver function) with the Sharp 0.6 Universal LBN + 90cm dish?
I live in north Norfolk UK

Big thanks to any kind sol who can help

Skint

Reaction score
No.................. er thanks!

I,ll get my coat:(

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Give it a day or two - mate.

There WILL be people here who have first hand experience of the gear
your thinking of and I'm sure won't hestitate to give you their opinion
when they see your post.

Patience is probably the the most important thing you'll need at first
especially while learning. :)

L

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Skint said:
Also will I still be able to recive Sky digi (using the LNB loopthrough for second receiver function) with the Sharp 0.6 Universal LBN + 90cm dish?

You should be OK with this - remember the digi box will only work when your dish is pointing at 28.2 East (where the S*Y digital sats are). When the dish is moved to another position S*y will not work.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Saturday night is always a dodgy time for a quick answer. :)

Seems like a nice setup, have no experience of the receiver, but seems to be a good spec with the two embedded CAMs and two CI slots.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sounds OK to me too.

I'd also have the existing digibox and dish seperate. More flexible, esp. for multiTV/room viewing. Also, some setups don't like having the digibox on the loopthrough for some reason.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Force D-Master 516S-CV
90cm Triax Dish
Cryptik Digital H-H Mount V-bracket
Sharp 0.6 Universal LNB
Orbital Tripod Wall Mount
Installation Kit (leads plugs and satfinder

This is fine.
I drive a Force, they are quite good. EMB Via....EMB CNX work well with all other cams.

And with A tit card loaded with a TMB file will open all , even S2 if it ever comes back.

Only one gripe about your setup...Maybe an extra few cm on the dish side...Why not 1m or 1.1m.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I would sugegst that you keep your Sky setup. and also upgrade your dish if you have the space and good locals to a 1.1 or 1.2mtr the visible differnce is not so much. however the extra size of the dish; should make quite things a little better on marginal satellites.

Regards

Old Satellite

Skint

Reaction score
Whoops Sorry guys a bit of late night insecuity crept in there:-ohmy

Thanks very much for all your replys, I think keeping my Sky dish up is the way to go

however im going to get a site servey done before I go any further

because of a damn tree smack bang in my line of site:
223591808raAwbd_ph.jpg

the blob at the bottem is my sky LNB

I dont think I can site my dish high enough because I live in a bungelow and me thinks the neighbours my complain if I put a 90/1m dish on my chimminy stack:eek:

Ill let you know what the Sat man says hopfully early next week

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Don't get the survey done by a sat installer.... get it done by a tree surgeon!!!

Skint

Reaction score
Blimy how hard is it to get a satellite intaller to come and servey my home in Norfolk. I,v tried five now from in and around Norwich but they all say the same

"Only if you buy from us" (well three did two said they only fit sky dishes)

I think I'm going to bite the bullet an go it alone........well I might need some help:D
I have a clear view from East to west exept from that damn tree (see photo)
can anyone tell me wether or not it will make a big differance to my signal its about 60 feet from my southerly wall (proposed Dish site) or do you think Im better of going for a static dish set up

BGonaSTICK I did think of doing a SAS style night raid with an axe!....but the misses says noO-no

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I think you'll be OK :)

Shoot me down here guys, but if that piccy is in line with the LNB arm
(is is SKINT ??) then that tree is at about 19'E at the top and as that
is a fairly powerful bird in Norfolk it should be ok, the same will hold for 13'E
and he should be well clear by the time he gets to 5'E and 1W.

no harm in getting your new setup a couple of feet (only 2 or 3) if poss
higher if you can because even though the angle of incidence is higher
than you think if that thing gets very leafy in the summer you will probably
still be ok.

Thoughts chaps ?

L

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm afraid that any part of the tree will disrupt the digital signal, but if you have the opportunity to locate the dish along a reasonable length of wall, perhaps you can engineer it so that the tree stands to the West of South, then you should be able to receive most of the best satellites.

As a rule of thumb, if your tree is within 15 degrees of due South, then it can be half as tall as the distance from it to the dish and it will not cause an obstruction.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
BGonaSTICK said:
Don't get the survey done by a sat installer.... get it done by a tree surgeon!!!

Or on the other hand give T_G a call......I'm sure he would love to cut it down for you! :D

Skint

Reaction score
rolfw said:
As a rule of thumb, if your tree is within 15 degrees of due South, then it can be half as tall as the distance from it to the dish and it will not cause an obstruction.
that sounds positive cheers Lancelot/rolfw that tree is smack bang south acording to my compass, so if I can extend my dish above my gutter buy a couple of feet I should be ok,......or if not there is always the opion of sticking it on my chimminy stack(and hope the council dont come calling lol)

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
I've just this second come in from the cold trying to point a minidish at 28.2East. At first I just couldn't find it, 19E,13E ok, but no 28.2E, it was driving me nuts, then I thought maybe the neighbours tree was to blame, its about 30ft tall 20ft away from my house due SSE. I was also trying to mount the dish on a tempory stand 4ft off the ground. I moved myself 10ft to the west and bingo 400+ channels in a flash (OK I can't watch any of them, but still!) My advice would be to try it, you could adjust your dish to see if you can clear 19.2E and 13E, I believe a sky digibox will give you the chance to scan a few FTA chans...

-CTS

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
In the belief that a picture says a 1000 words, here's my view of the south... so you can see my problem.

Skint

Reaction score
rolfw said:
After taking in hours of info from this exellent site I have now found a solution to my tree problem!! (I hope)

I,m now thinking of siteing my dish on a poll (of the scaffolding type) down the end of my garden this will put the offending tree well out of harms way and give me clear skys E to 30degrees W.........Exept for a 6ft chain linked fence about 10ft from my new site:-ohmy
So rolfw if the bottom of my dish is fitted 3ft off the ground, by your calculations would that give me clear site of sats? my brain is in melt down......please say yes

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Depends on the distances involved, but pacing it out should give you the answer, it's obviously difficult to measure the height of a tree, but a house is easy, simply count the courses of bricks.

In this sort of situation, I would normally take a small dish and meter to the bottom of the garden and pan the sky, but I appreciate that it is not such an easy option for you. Nothing to stop you taking a portable TV down there though and trying for the suspect satellites.