DB and WIFI

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I have just moved my DB downstairs as I have a laptop via wifi connection hoping I could upgrade bits and bobs through my laptop, I got myself a ethernet card and connected to the DB, I'm running everything on ICS IP addresses, but I cannot seem to get anything through to the DB with regards internet, I can actually communicate with the DB via dreamflash software but no internet download, it cut's off my internet connection totally to the laptop, tried bridging the two lan connections but only get the same result.
Any boffin out there who can help me.
Richard.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
I have just moved my DB downstairs as I have a laptop via wifi connection hoping I could upgrade bits and bobs through my laptop, I got myself a ethernet card and connected to the DB, I'm running everything on ICS IP addresses, but I cannot seem to get anything through to the DB with regards internet, I can actually communicate with the DB via dreamflash software but no internet download, it cut's off my internet connection totally to the laptop, tried bridging the two lan connections but only get the same result.
Any boffin out there who can help me.
Richard.
As I read your description, the wifi has naught to do with DB, i.e. your laptop connects that way to the world and you have a cable between DB and PC. Your PC can talk to DB thru this cable but the DB does not see thru the PC to whatever is on the other end of the wifi, e.g. a hub/router to dsl.
So the first thing I ask is the type of cable to DB (II or X).
Then what are the communication settings in the DB? Let's have the full set; IP, DHCP? gateway and router, network enabled?
And while you're at it, what is the IP of the laptop?
If you are running DHCP from your hub/router, what is the subnet of your LAN? i.e. is the third number of the IP addr of yr PC the same as yr DB? and what device is allocating an IP number to DB if it is DHCP?
Sorry, a lot of questions, but the reason for DB not getting to world can be due to one or more of many things. Up side, it should be simple to fix.
Ideal solution is to put a wifi bridge on yr DB (see super-sticky by STICK in this section).
Have you got hauppauge dec2000t s/w by any chance, it links to ext usb in a most disgusting way, by bridging networks in the conceited belief that it is the only thing anyone would ever want to use.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Ok here goes, firstly i'm using a cross over cable to connect from lappy to DB which is the same cable i have successfully used to upgrade and download files to DB direct from main PC to DB , I have ICS enabled on main PC which uses 192.168.0.1 IP, Lan on main PC is set to
IP:192.168.0.1
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.0.1
DNS:192.168.0.1

Asus router
IP:192.168.0.4
DHCP enabled

Wireless lan on lappy
IP:192.168.0.12

Lan 2 0n lappy(To D:cool:
IP:192.168.0.35

DB settings
IP:192.168.0.24
Netmask:255.255.255.0
Nameserver:192.168.0.1
DHCP: unchecked

As it stands at the moment I can use the internet on the lappy (wireless connection), I cannot connect to the DB, if I bridge the two lan connections on lappy and configure the bridge lan to say
IP:192.168.0.20
I can communicate with the DB via Flash wizzard but lose internet connection to lappy.
I have to tell you that i'm not to clued up on wireless settings but have a basic knowledge of the subject, see what you make of my setup and hopefully you might make some sense of it.
Thanks for your help.
Richard

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
Ok here goes,
Thanks for your help.
Richard

Richard try making the lan2 on yr lap a separate subnet, say 192.167.0.***
The lap should then act as a router for the DB to your 192.168.0.*** lan in the way that your Asus is a router for your 192.168.0.*** lan to the outside world wan.

So lap IP on lan2 would be 192.167.0.1
keep other lap IP at 192.168.0.12
DB IP is now 192.167.0.24
with gateway and dns set to 192.167.0.1 and dhcp unchecked.

What you are doing is a messy thing and it may be that Windows doesnt allow it, altho you are using ICS so keep fingers as well as cable crossed.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Ok i'll try that as soon as the wife's finished watching her film.
Thank you, I'll let you know how I get on.
Richard.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi,
Well that was a big breakthrough I can now connect to the dreambox without losing the internet connection, but I still do not appear to be able to download anything to the DB, I'm using the Gemini image and am trying to download another cam, I am at this minute looking at the Addon(cam) download window which is just blank so i'm presuming there's no internet connection getting through, i get the same blank menu on different downloads, keys, skins etc. By opening up these download pages the Db looks like its trying to get through but there's obviously another setting i need to apply to enable connection, You must be getting close, any further ideas.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
Hi,
Well that was a big breakthrough I can now connect to the dreambox without losing the internet connection, but I still do not appear to be able to download anything to the DB, I'm using the Gemini image and am trying to download another cam, I am at this minute looking at the Addon(cam) download window which is just blank so i'm presuming there's no internet connection getting through, i get the same blank menu on different downloads, keys, skins etc. By opening up these download pages the Db looks like its trying to get through but there's obviously another setting i need to apply to enable connection, You must be getting close, any further ideas.
So it looks like the lap is connecting both ways using the 2 lans but there is no connection/bridge bwteeen the 2 lans for the DB to use. This is close to exhausting my PC knowledge (I am a 17 yr Mac man and a recent relunctant acquirer of a PC -- in order to talk to to DBs, cards cams etc.) but success can't be far away.
Maybe the bridge you set up bridged the 'old' IP numbers that were on same subnet. Try bridging again. In fact, maybe delete the first bridge that didnt work and start again otherwise the mess will increase.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:

I also worry slightly that yr main PC is 192.168.0.1 and the router 192.168.0.4 I would have preferred these the other way round, but maybe the Asus likes this.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
haggard said:
I also worry slightly that yr main PC is 192.168.0.1 and the router 192.168.0.4 I would have preferred these the other way round, but maybe the Asus likes this.

Just tried bridging the two lans on lappy but no good, internet connection lost and it tends to mess up wireless link, can't think what else to try, I might load the hydra zues just to make sure the gemini is not causing prob. I use 192.168.0.1 on main pc as its the default ics address, i suppose at the end of the day i can just disconnect the DB and take it back upstairs for updates as before which is a pain really as we came so close to sorting this out.
I'm still open to suggestions if you come up with anything if not thanks for your time and help it's taught me a bit more about setting up wi-fi.
Richard.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
In my opinion, buying the correct WiFi bridge for the DB is the way to go. You can configure it to point directly to the ASUS router and cut out all the messing about. Your 'Main' PC and lappie would also just point directly to the router in a 'star' topology.

TOPOLOGY.gif

Then you can have just one subnet, one router, and one gateway.

Linksys WET54G works. About £45.

I'm sure you could get your setup to work, but using the lappie to bridge the two subnets is slightly odd. Normally the job of a dedicated router!

STICK

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
In my opinion, buying the correct WiFi bridge for the DB is the way to go. You can configure it to point directly to the ASUS router and cut out all the messing about. Your 'Main' PC and lappie would also just point directly to the router in a 'star' topology.

TOPOLOGY.gif

Then you can have just one subnet, one router, and one gateway.

Linksys WET54G works. About £45.

I'm sure you could get your setup to work, but using the lappie to bridge the two subnets is slightly odd. Normally the job of a dedicated router!

STICK
Yes, the wifi bridge is a way that works.
My setup is almost the same as yours, Richard, except I have a Mac lap instead of yr (PC?) lap and I have the Linksys WET54G on the DB instead of X cable.
Interestingly, when I tried an Apple airport extrme on the DB, I could talk from lap to either DB or the world but not both at once and the extreme never saw the world; i.e. same prob as yrs.
Before you buy one (its sunday anyway), try this for interest.
On main PC do
start -> run -> cmd -> IP config
and jot down the default gateway.
do same for lap and see if they are the same.

Stick, you say it is a star, but I am sure that I can see the Linksys from roving lap and so it extends the wifi range physically beyond the Linksys which is at other end of house from (d-Link) wifi router. i.e. Linksys is bridging my lap thru to main wifi router.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi
Lan on both pc and lappy is the same, gateway for internet adsl is 80.43.104.1 not sure if means anything.
Richard.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
Hi
Lan on both pc and lappy is the same, gateway for internet adsl is 80.43.104.1 not sure if means anything.
Richard.
OK, it means that yr PC and lap have both been able to resolve the real gateway to the world which goes through Tiscali. It might just be worth a try putting that gateway in the DB IP panel. Tiscali prob gave you a dns as well. Enter that in DB. There's just a chance that your lap might not be able to sort out that the DB wants to go beyond.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
haggard said:
OK, it means that yr PC and lap have both been able to resolve the real gateway to the world which goes through Tiscali. It might just be worth a try putting that gateway in the DB IP panel. Tiscali prob gave you a dns as well. Enter that in DB. There's just a chance that your lap might not be able to sort out that the DB wants to go beyond.

So instead of 192.168.0.24 I put in 192.168.0.1? not sure where to get dns from and where exactly to put it in DB. How do you know im with tiscali, is it from the adsl gateway i gave you?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
So instead of 192.168.0.24 I put in 192.168.0.1? not sure where to get dns from and where exactly to put it in DB. How do you know im with tiscali, is it from the adsl gateway i gave you?

No, I meant set gateway in the DB network panel to be 80.43.104.1
I thought you had set DB to be 192.167.0.24 keep that.
For the dns in the DB panel, try the dns given by tiscali. If they didnt give one, then just try their number as gateway.

Im not confident it will do anything, but worth a try

Yes, the IP you gave, can be looked up by, e.g., network utility on Mac and it said Tiscali. I'm with Zen, so I wasnt after prying.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
haggard said:
No, I meant set gateway in the DB network panel to be 80.43.104.1
I thought you had set DB to be 192.167.0.24 keep that.
For the dns in the DB panel, try the dns given by tiscali. If they didnt give one, then just try their number as gateway.

Im not confident it will do anything, but worth a try

Yes, the IP you gave, can be looked up by, e.g., network utility on Mac and it said Tiscali. I'm with Zen, so I wasnt after prying.

Sorry to be a dumb ass but when you say their number as gateway what number do you mean and what do you mean DB panel, i know it's painfull but you have to explain it to me like i'm a 12 year old.
Richard.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
haggard said:
Stick, you say it is a star, but I am sure that I can see the Linksys from roving lap and so it extends the wifi range physically beyond the Linksys which is at other end of house from (d-Link) wifi router. i.e. Linksys is bridging my lap thru to main wifi router.

Oooh my head. There is sooo much info here and I'm real tired now, but all I was saying was that if you can get BACK to a true star topology, you will have less complexity, not that what you have NOW is a star topology. :)

Of course I'm making the wild assumption that the ASUS router is a WIRELESS router based on the fact that the lappie has a wifi connection, but I must admit I haven't read the whole thread properly and absorbed it. I'll just stop right there, and get my coat...

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
Sorry to be a dumb ass but when you say their number as gateway what number do you mean and what do you mean DB panel, i know it's painfull but you have to explain it to me like i'm a 12 year old.
Richard.

Richard
spoke to our network man this morning and he confirmed that my prescription

>So lap IP on lan2 would be 192.167.0.1
>keep other lap IP at 192.168.0.12
>DB IP is now 192.167.0.24
>with gateway and dns set to 192.167.0.1 and dhcp unchecked.

is the right thing to do, if the lap is ever going to feed it thru.

Especially, all IP numbers on DB must be 192.167.0.***
with the DB gateway being set to the laps lan2 IP, i.e. 192.167.0.35

Now the key thing is, will the lap link the 2 lans? Its automatic on unix but he didnt know so much for PCs (small fry).
So try once more bridging those networks.
192.167.0.1 <-> 192.168.0.1

So going back to orig config, the changes are summarised

IP:192.168.0.35 -> 192.167.0.35
Gateway:192.168.0.1 (altho try also 192.168.0.12)

DB settingsoriginal
IP:192.168.0.24 -> 192.167.0.24
Nameserver:192.168.0.1 should resolve
Gateway:192.168.0.1 -> 192.167.0.35

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
haggard said:
Richard
spoke to our network man this morning and he confirmed that my prescription

>So lap IP on lan2 would be 192.167.0.1
>keep other lap IP at 192.168.0.12
>DB IP is now 192.167.0.24
>with gateway and dns set to 192.167.0.1 and dhcp unchecked.

is the right thing to do, if the lap is ever going to feed it thru.

Especially, all IP numbers on DB must be 192.167.0.***
with the DB gateway being set to the laps lan2 IP, i.e. 192.167.0.35

Now the key thing is, will the lap link the 2 lans? Its automatic on unix but he didnt know so much for PCs (small fry).
So try once more bridging those networks.
192.167.0.1 <-> 192.168.0.1

So going back to orig config, the changes are summarised

IP:192.168.0.35 -> 192.167.0.35
Gateway:192.168.0.1 (altho try also 192.168.0.12)

DB settingsoriginal
IP:192.168.0.24 -> 192.167.0.24
Nameserver:192.168.0.1 should resolve
Gateway:192.168.0.1 -> 192.167.0.35

Hi
Not having much luck, bridging connections loses both internet and connectivity via dream flash to DB, will check again everything you've set out just incase i've missed something.
Richard.

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
richardp said:
Hi
Not having much luck, bridging connections loses both internet and connectivity via dream flash to DB, will check again everything you've set out just incase i've missed something.
Richard.

Still no go, i'll think I have to give up, thanks very much for all your help.
Rchard.
I'll keep an eye on this topic just incase you have another suggestion.