DB Newsgroup :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
What's the binary retention on the newsgroup servers like?
i get about 10 days mate... and i have downloaded stuff that was 10 days old too
it says on the astraweb site that its 15 days....so it may have gone up since i joined??

http://www.news.astraweb.com/

chuckles

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
I get 2Mbps unlimited download with business-quality support from Pipex. They then give you a capped 10GB download capacity to their newsgroup servers, and charge £2 per 5GB extra. They also throttle the newsgroup download speed to about 750Kbps until you pay the extra, then you can run flat-out. The retention is almost as good as the so-called 'Premium' newsgroup services, which you would pay a lot more for.

Pipex also provide 50Mb high-quality webspace (which I use) and all the other usual stuff.

For this I pay £34 a month (plus any extra newsgroup capacity I buy). I think that's pretty good value, but if anyone can recommend anything better, I'll have a serious look at it.

The newsgroup access is essential to me. I use it more than any other web service.

Just signed up for the same service as I've been meaning to change for a while.
thanks for the info.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Cool. I'd be interested to know what you think of the service after using it for a few weeks.

chuckles

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Cool. I'd be interested to know what you think of the service after using it for a few weeks.

Scheduled for 2morrow, will let u know how it goes.

chuckles

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:

Up and running, very quick and no problems in 2 days.
Have not set uip for Newsgroups yet. Thanks for the pointer.
I do know there are cheaper options out there but dont think they include the newsgroups.