DB7000S YPbPr output

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
The Video out on the 7000S can be toggled thru CVBS, RGB, YC and YPbPr.
To save a search that is getting me nowhere, has anyone connected via YPbPr to a projector or plasma? If so, what are the scart pin outs? Are there scart cables to buy or do they need making up?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can buy YPbPr / Scart cables, either from Ebay or ProFiGold (think). There is a post somewhere on here between me and another DBer discussing this (about 6 months ago). I didn't get one but he did..

HTH

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
mhku said:
You can buy YPbPr / Scart cables, either from Ebay or ProFiGold (think). There is a post somewhere on here between me and another DBer discussing this (about 6 months ago). I didn't get one but he did..

HTH
Thnx for quick ans mhku.
I'll see if I can find the earlier post, tho the DB section has prob been reorganised since then. In any case, the ProfiGold website is a big help and it looks like the 'Scart Male to 3RCA Male PGV372 Length: 1,50m' is the thing I need.
Now I'll find out what it costs. . . .

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
You need to change some resistors on the mainboard as the YUV output isn't functional as it should be, you get some red patterns in the picture.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
About £10 from Ebay:

h--p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-TO-3-COMPONENT-RGB-VIDEO-CABLE-HQ-retail-pack_W0QQitemZ5822166903QQcategoryZ32837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But this is the WRONG cable- direction is back to front ;)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Likvid said:
You need to change some resistors on the mainboard as the YUV output isn't functional as it should be, you get some red patterns in the picture.
Hi Likvid, is that true with the last version of 7000S, i.e. the one with amber display and better heat stability. Any clues which resistors? Surface mount?
The alternative would be to convert the RGB to YPbPr with a little box. Why not use RGB I hear? Well, I have 4 rear I/P on Panasonic incl component and I'd like to not use the YC on the front because the cables spoil the appearance. Of my boxes, only DB offers component.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
I also use YPbPr for reasons of switching, and also suffer fron the red shading. I would also be very intereted to know if some resistor changes could cure it, I have tried varous other cures without sucess

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Likvid
Thanks for link, have Babelfished it and am now looking through my stock for capacitors

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
Opened up my DB7000 - ahh!! different layout to pics of 7020 and STV6411 chip on board.
Found same capacitor no's ie:- C3202,C3302,C3402 and they checked back to same pins on 6411 as on the 6412.
Decided to try it anyway, found some 1uF 35v Tantulums that were a bit bigger phisically than I would have liked, but there was room for them with care.

Eureka !!! NO red band at the top of the screen, I have been trying to find how to get rid of this for 12 months with different earthing schemes etc.

Thank you Likvid

:-mamster

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Wait mate!

I have the DIY guide for the 7000 version also.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/thread.php?threadid=11078&hilight=yuv

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
Thanks for 7000 link, I'll do the Scart mod next, I have some more 1uF caps

:)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
johnsattuk said:
Thanks for 7000 link, I'll do the Scart mod next, I have some more 1uF caps

:)

I went up the steep learning curve on YPbPr from Dreambox and I find it works perfectly into Panasonic YPbPr component input. There are a few possible pitfalls and some non existent problems. Also there's some wrong and confusing info around web sites.

1. The component signal is put out on the DB scart pins when the video setting is toggled to YPbPr. If you have an RGB connection to your TV, you can check how component is working by tuning to a b/w movie and toggling from RGB to YPbPr. The picture should turn to green and white.
Reason: The transformation is
Y = 0.299R + 0.587G + 0.114B
Pb = 0.492(B-Y) = -0.147R - 0.289G + 0.436B
Pr = 0.877(R-Y) = 0.615R - 0.515G - 0.100B
And for b/w transm, R=G=B, so Y =1 and Pb and Pr both = zero.
On DB,
Y is on scart pin 11 (Y gnd on 9) which is G for RGB
Pb is on scart pin 7 (Pb gnd on 7) which is B for RGB
Pr is on scart pin 15 (Pr gnd on 13) which is R for RGB
So if you send a YPbPr signal to RGB i/p of TV, there is just the lumi signal on G and nothing on the others, hence green picture.

2. To connect to YPbPr phonos on TV from DB scart, a scart to 3 phono cable is needed with the above pin connections. Note, this works both as scart2phono and phono2scart since RGB in and out are on the same scart pins. There may be a scart to component coloured phono leads, but the one I bought (Vivanco) is labelled YCbCr and has R G B coloured phonos. The Cb Cr labels are confusing because that is the notation for digital component which usually has a single multicore cable. Pb Pr is the notation for analogue component via three separate screened leads.

3. It is very important to set the DB to YPbPr while still connected to TV via RBG. If you connect to the YPbPr TV inputs while the cable is still carrying RGB, there is a chance you get a meaningless flashing unstable green picture and you wont be able see the DB menu on screen.

4. If your cable is not marked R G or B, then the way to really find out if your DB is giving out the right signal, is to first tune to a b/w movie with RBG connected. Now toggle to YPbPr. Picture goes green and white. Now disconnect this lead. Plug in scart of scart2phono into DB TV out socket(not VCR out socket!). Switch TV to component i/p. Try each one of the three phono leads in turn into the Y socket. One of them should give a proper b/w picture; the other 2 should give nothing at all. If this is the case, so far so good and you can be reassured that your DB is using the above matrix transformation. If more than one gives a picture (it will be b/w) then there is something wrong with your Db YPbPr output and it's out with the solder station. Otherwise, leave the plug (probably marked G) in the Y socket. Now tune to an appropriate football match. Man U v Chelsea is good and today Boro v Man U was also good. Insert the remaining 2 cables and swap them over until the teams are wearing the right coloured shirts and the grass is green. (Note Boro were in R and Man U, B today.) So Man U are still some use. They more or less swap shirts if the leads are wrong.
Finally, to test the purity, go into the tools menu again and get the video settings up. In the bottom right corner, there is a test button. Press it to get colour bars. The left bar should be a clean untinted white - the acid test. You should also see clean R G B and C M Y (Y this time is yellow which may be a bit muddy.) Press exit to get out of colour bars.

I did this with 7000S, amber screen, bought Oct last year. Perfect results and now I have freed up a RGB scart on my TV for another device.

There is quite a bit of hype about component on the web; some places say it is better for plasmas and projectors than RBG. Because the Pb and Pr are shipped at lower bandwidth (exploiting the eye's deficiencies) it can't possibly be better for short lead connections. But it can be shipped over longer cables with less degradation than RGB so that's its advantage. I have read that it can be shipped over 10s of meters of cat5 cable so useful for sending around a house. But don't set up YPbPr, thinking it will be better than RGB.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
Thanks for laying all that information out in an understandable manner, I think it will be helpful to a lot of people.

My problem was not a connection problem, but was the same problem that quite a no of people on various forums have experienced, ie:- a magenta shaded band at the top 5/10% of the screen.

I use YPbPr on my Netgem freeview stb., on my DVD player, on my Roku media player and my Dreambox all fed into 4 x 2 matrix switch to a Pana.Plasma and to a JVC D-ILA Proj.

The only one which gave a problem was the DreamBox.

The mods which Likvid pointed me to, and which I carried out have completely eliminated the problem, much to my delight.

The scart mod referred to is the VCR scart which I plan to do soon

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
johnsattuk said:
Thanks for laying all that information out in an understandable manner, I think it will be helpful to a lot of people.

My problem was not a connection problem, but was the same problem that quite a no of people on various forums have experienced, ie:- a magenta shaded band at the top 5/10% of the screen.

I use YPbPr on my Netgem freeview stb., on my DVD player, on my Roku media player and my Dreambox all fed into 4 x 2 matrix switch to a Pana.Plasma and to a JVC D-ILA Proj.

The only one which gave a problem was the DreamBox.

The mods which Likvid pointed me to, and which I carried out have completely eliminated the problem, much to my delight.

The scart mod referred to is the VCR scart which I plan to do soon

Question is why some 7000Ss have this problem and others don't.
What's the Serial No on yours John?

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
Ser.No. 3C060117041092S

DM go in for long SNs :)

I lose track of time ,but I've had it at least a yr

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
johnsattuk said:
Ser.No. 3C060117041092S

DM go in for long SNs :)

I lose track of time ,but I've had it at least a yr

OK John
mine is 46860117051413S

Do we suppose that the last 5 digits before the S might be the number manufactured? 1170 is common and the first 5 digits mean god knows what.

But looks as if they corrected it between yours and mine,
except 7020 has the same problem and I am sure 7020 post dates when I bought mine.

It was interesting to see national characteristics in evidence on the German thread where the solution was discussed. Blame was a big issue and Multi-media were saying it wasnt their fault because they implemented the chip according to spec. You'ld have thought they would test a few in each batch for functionality. . . SMT chip was said to correctly implement the matrix.
All I can say is, it sure ain't the customers fault. He just finds the fault.

Rav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 90cm/55cm, Inverto Black Pro/White Tech, Moteck SG-2100A, Dreamboxes DM7020/DM600/DM800HD
My Location
Zürich/London