• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DD To leave Nss 6 !

My Satellite Setup
Planning to buy stb and dish
My Location
Hyderabad,India
Ending its dependence on a foreign satellite, Doordarshan will switch over to a more advanced Indian satellite for its direct-to-home (DTH) service from May. The switch over will save five million dollars in foreign exchange that was being paid annually to the American company owning the NS-6 satellite on which DD's DTH service has been beamed so far.
Indian satellite INSAT-4B is due to be launched next month and Prasar Bharati will use it for Doordarshan's DTH service when its contract with the American firm ends in May.
"The American company had approached us for renewal. But I turned it down. We are going to have our state-of-the-art satellite, so why depend on them and pay foreign exchange to the tune of five million dollars?" Prasar Bharati CEO BS Lalli said.
All that DTH viewers will have to do to get programming from the new satellite is to slightly rotate their dish antennas from the existing 95 degrees to 93.5 degrees.
"In very few cases, re-programming of set-top boxes may be required. It is just a two-minute job. Our technical staff at local DD Kendras will help DTH subscribers," Lalli said.

"Moreover, the satellite location of 93.5 degrees is nearer to India, which means better visual quality."

source :http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1931131,0008.htm

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Theres several factual errors in that quote from the Hindustan Times. They really should research their facts better!

1) NSS is a Dutch company
2) This bit is just rubbish "Moreover, the satellite location of 93.5 degrees is nearer to India, which means better visual quality." Being nearer makes no difference whatsoever - its all to do with downlink powers and signal strengths at any particular location

And I shudder to think whats going to happen when thousands of clueless people start loosening off the dish mounting bolts to re-align them - its going to go horribly wong :D

My Satellite Setup
Planning to buy stb and dish
My Location
Hyderabad,India
Yes . Thanks for the Info . I did not notice that . India is around 70deg to 80 deg east . So nss6 will be nearer .good point Analoguesat .

All the customeres will be clueless ..

geeky1

who am i ? whence am i ?
My Satellite Setup
eternal bliss
My Location
illusion
Very true. The other day, there was a report in one of the newspapers (the new indian express 18/2/2007) which said that there was a disruption to the telecast as Doordarshan. our state-owned national channel, had 'shifted frequencies to insat 3c (74E) from insat 2e (83E). All DD had done was to switch off uplink to the match feed on all sats other than 3c on which it was always avaliable on MCPC.

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
What a Dam news man, Now we want to make all our roofs as cable opr.. No need ill fine fix as many as lnbs it takes.

prabakaran

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
My Satellite Setup
dish tv
My Location
mettupalayam
there is no need to realign antenna,since insat4b will be located very near to nss6.
I received insat3a with my dish tv setup during 2005.
However, there may be slight reduction in signal strength.

URPradhan

Crazy Techie
My Satellite Setup
AMD PC, Skystar2 2.6D, Inverto 0.2dB Single Universal Ku-Band LNB, NUCLEUS 100cm Solid Dish
My Location
Maharastra, Hindustan
Analoguesat said:
Theres several factual errors in that quote from the Hindustan Times. They really should research their facts better!

1) NSS is a Dutch company
2) This bit is just rubbish "Moreover, the satellite location of 93.5 degrees is nearer to India, which means better visual quality." Being nearer makes no difference whatsoever - its all to do with downlink powers and signal strengths at any particular location

And I shudder to think whats going to happen when thousands of clueless people start loosening off the dish mounting bolts to re-align them - its going to go horribly wong :D
Yes ur r8.. But its better to unscrew the bolt and realign the dish to new location, to use our own stae-of-art satellite system which will save millions of $ for our govt.

Hareesh

My Satellite Setup
Sat:Insat 4 B and NSS 6
Platform:DD Direct+
STB:Eurobox 9700+CI
System:Celeron D 2.8 GHz,Fedora Core 6 and Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.
My Location
Kasaragod,Kerala,South India.
Here is a piece of news reg this.
h**p://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k7/feb/feb256.htm

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
This will cause inconvenience to DD Direct+ viewers as they have to realign the dishes and enter new transponder values. It may not be a big deal for us but it won't be a straight forward thing for most of the DD Direct+ viewers. They may have to shell out money to get it done.

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
If NSS6 and Insat 4B cann't be viewed simultaneously from DishTV dish, it's a bad news for DishTV. DishTV now has to beam DD channels from it's own transponders (have to rent more transponders or more compression on existing transponders). Moreover, DishTV subscribers won't be able to view Sun channels of DD Direct+.

Sun DTH would be a beneficiary as it is going to share the satellite with DD, it won't have to beam DD channels from its own transponders.

My Satellite Setup
dishtv my set top box is zenega CD-1004iS
My Location
visakhapatnam
then is it acomplete loss to dish tv subscribers? wat the hell how about if we go for a bigger dish

mehra

SATELLITE SNIFFER
My Satellite Setup
2 Dish Tv Zenega STBs | 1 DM 800 HD Clone | 180 cm TX Rx Fibre offset Dish Antenna |
My Location
india
i dont understand why such rubbish statements are made)(-red . this really makes me laugh that reception would b clearer with distance between satellite and dish distance reducing. and it's not that easy that officials think. a lot of money will change hands. poor ppl here dont kno what all this means. but its something that was 2 b done, soon or later. any way statements made should b technically strong.:)

URPradhan

Crazy Techie
My Satellite Setup
AMD PC, Skystar2 2.6D, Inverto 0.2dB Single Universal Ku-Band LNB, NUCLEUS 100cm Solid Dish
My Location
Maharastra, Hindustan
mehra said:
i dont understand why such rubbish statements are made)(-red . this really makes me laugh that reception would b clearer with distance between satellite and dish distance reducing. and it's not that easy that officials think. a lot of money will change hands. poor ppl here dont kno what all this means. but its something that was 2 b done, soon or later. any way statements made should b technically strong.:)
Dear ,
What you ppl are saying I could not understand :(
See, now NSS6 is living @ 95E and Insat-4B will come to 93.5 E
So, its true that if you have a small dish of 40/60cm then you may need to re-align the dish to 93.5 E for DDD+, else if you ve bigger dish say like 90/100/120/or more then you may not have to move the dish to receive both DishTV+DDD+. As I'm receiving both NSS6+Insat-3A w/o any change to my setup direction !!

Better point the dish to in between 95 - 93.5, and probably you will get the both using the same setup. And I think its an adv for us, coz the vacate space of NSS6 will be filledup by some other operator, so we can have more channels.

BOL

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
IF (and I stress the word if) the transmitted downlink powers are high enough nobody will have to realign any dishes - Virtually any hobby dishes will pick up signals just 1.5 degrees off axis with no problem.