Death of the compact cassette

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Announced today. Shame that as I still found the sound very acceptable and it was a cheap way of recording.

So many digital memo takers sound tinny. What ya think? :)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Is that the tiny cassettes as used in dictaphones and old answering machines? I've never really used them.

I have occasionally used a digital dictaphone - some samsung one that plugged directly into usb after use. I was actually surprised how good the quality was (I was recording someone else - not me) so maybe it depends which one you get.

Even if people have stopped making the tiny cassettes, I'm sure there will be new-old stock selling on eBay for some time. I saw some 5 1/4 floppy discs (the really floppy ones) in an actual shop a couple years back, I thought they died a decade ago!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I gave up on audio cassettes once I got my Minidisc recorder, works the same, but sounds loads better... :D

I still have tapes though, but I haven't got a decent tape player... :(

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
The first cassette recorder I got was when I was 11, way back. :D I hated it, but it was the only one I had. It was made by a company called CROWN. The sound was like it had been recorded under a bath. ;)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i think CDs wont be long, but before them DVDs will be overtaken by the new Blu-Ray discs