Decisions?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I've been toying with idea of getting a HD recorder or dvd recorder. Then I thought well the dreambox may do the job as HD recorder and replace my existing samsung 9500 viaci. Can they easily record off the regular FTA channels as well as sat?

Is this box a viable alternative to a standalone HD recorder?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think that it would lend itself to that Pete.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
rolfw said:
Don't think that it would lend itself to that Pete.
Well Rolf I wasn't sure how versatile the HD was. Just how good is it when wanting to record from sat? I thought that it would provide more or less DVD quality digital files that I could somehow, move to my pc and backup to DVD if needed?

Perhaps I could do this via a wireless or cabled link to my pc? I understand It's capabilities as a satellite receiver but not how it works as a recording device?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Wouldn't like to advise on whether it would be a good replacement for a HD recorder, but I find it a great recording device for sat, great quality picture, and I do transfer my recorded movie files wirelessly across my LAN for recording onto DVD. See my how-to in the Dreambox section if you want to know more.

I should say though, that I leave them in the naitive .ts format, which while actually an mpg2 format, requires some fiddling around on the PC to be burnt as a standard DVD.

This is a good (simple - only a few pages) Dreambox guide, and it has within it a good link to how to burn the output files to DVD, though as I say, I've not tried it.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/dbox-howto.htm

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
BGonaSTICK said:
Wouldn't like to advise on whether it would be a good replacement for a HD recorder, but I find it a great recording device for sat, great quality picture, and I do transfer my recorded movie files wirelessly across my LAN for recording onto DVD. See my how-to in the Dreambox section if you want to know more.

I should say though, that I leave them in the naitive .ts format, which while actually an mpg2 format, requires some fiddling around on the PC to be burnt as a standard DVD.

This is a good (simple - only a few pages) Dreambox guide, and it has within it a good link to how to burn the output files to DVD, though as I say, I've not tried it.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/dbox-howto.htm
Thanks Buddy,

I'm not sure that I would get one as yet as It doesn't do anything decryption wise that my samsung cant handle. But you have answered the questions about a wireless link and recording so I will bear it in mind for a future option. ;)